Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

TVTome_Shadow

Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated Fan Reviews (55)

• A very tall leap in a very shallow pond

This show is so hard to review, there are elements that I liked about it and there are things that I hated about it.

First, the things I liked: continuity, I'm glad we entered more deeply into their lives and we see them more as human characters; it's true that most of the times it didn't take itself seriously, even going to the extreme with Daphne's parents. Character development: there was some character development but i never felt it last for a long time, it had lots of attempts, but the studio wouldn't let them try something different;

Production: the production team dissevers a gold medal it made everything the best Scooby Doo is ever going to be, I doubt there will be a better production team.

What I hated: the Screenplay: was just horrible, not once did I laugh at any of the jokes; they were so raw and simplistic that only children who had to ask their parents might laugh but even they would find it awkward; this show is basically asking the viewer to see the characters as fools, the most smartest characters in the show are ironically Velma, the parrot, and Daphne, but you never feel for a single second that they are smarter than you;

Writing was good only in huge leaps, meaning that out of 10 episodes 2 were the best and 3 were better, the rest good-ish. They brought something new to the show, but it's all so jumbled together, that you don't even care about it, you stop questioning it because it's so convenient.

The characters were basically rebuilt from the bottom up, but you never felt that Scooby and Shaggy were the essence of the show, the show constantly pointed to Fred and Daphne being more important than the iconic figures of the show, in fact I think Shaggy and Scooby had the least amount of screentime.

Final verdict: Was this show good? Good, just okay; Would you watch it again? Only certain episodes, I wouldn't watch the whole seasons again; Rating:6.5 - 7
  • I need season 3 / Love Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated is my favorite I can't wait for the next season. I like how did they create the romantic scene (Fred and Daphne) including mystery solving.
  • Tried to make it better on the story telling

I think this is the best Scooby-Doo series by far, or 2nd to another I think I saw before. Anyhoo, great show and I think it has a better developed cast than in the movies or original cartoons.
  • What?

I have seen most of the original shows and almost all of the movies related to this franchise. I have loved Scooby-Doo since I was a wee brat. What really makes this show is not only its amazing new twist on an old favorite, but the constant stream of well-thought references. I love how they explain nearly every trope and gimmick throughout the original series and play around with them.

To the people that are complaining about how the characters act as opposed to their original-selves, I simply cannot stand the whining. The character development is obvious in the series, and these characters are supposed to be them IN HIGH SCHOOL. OF COURSE they are going to be hormonal, cowardly, or just plain air-headed. Velma pissed me off for a good part of the series, but not because she was so different from the original Velma. Simply because she was the way she was. I seriously love her, now finished with the series, and only wish there was more so I could continue to watch her grow.

Not to over-extend my excitement towards this series, but this is one of the greatest animated shows I've had the pleasure of viewing. (Note that I did not THE greatest, so don't get into a tizzy).

Seriously, if you love . Lovecraft, dark mystery, monsters, (a lot of) references, and Scooby-Doo in general, WATCH THIS.

I will admit I don't understand at all why people are saying "What's New Scooby-Doo?" is better. It follows the original show's formula but with an annoying teen-pandering-twist.
  • Fantastic Writing, Amazing Ending

The character development, the references to twin peaks and other mystery solving tv shows, the tongue in cheek villians, and main arcing mystery which is developed every episode makes this my favorite scooby doo ever. I felt the second season was better than the first, because thats when the gang grows as a group together, and the really cool stuff happens with the main mystery.
  • Understand some changes, others not so much...

Firstly, I'd like to begin by stating that I was a huge fan of the old Scooby-Doo shows on Cartoon Network when I was growing up, even the short-lived ones like the 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo. Having said that I understand that the formula needed to be brought into the 21st century if they were going to succeed in a new generation as the world has changed drastically since the show was first on the air and what we expect from our television along with it. It's because of this I agree with their decision to have a long story arc incorporated (pun not intended) into the story line with dark plot elements, something I applaud the writing staff for trying to do and succeeding, especially given the source material. By doing this, the writing has to become better, both with the monster of the week and with the entire series as a whole and improvements to anything, even something that has already been so successfully established is always welcome. What I don't understand is the change in the characters' personalities as it seems to be targeted towards such a niche audience. Young children don't particularly care about teenage romance and older viewers remember the dynamic between the characters that they had grown to love. The drama and comedy came with the interactions between this group of five friends that were comfortable around each other and reacted differently towards the danger that they came across, nothing more, allowing viewers to identify with what character they were most like. By adding this element of teenage romance and drama, you diminish this aspect of relatability and cheapen the other aspects of the show, both in plot and the characters interactions. We didn't need to know that these characters were real people with real emotions, just caricatures of people who were good friends and traveled around together solving mysteries, something almost everyone would think was a great way to spend one's time.
  • Understanding both sides

Look, I have seen both the new and old of scooby and understand why this is a horrible show for those who loved the original to it's hardest and a good one for those who have an open mind and no recall of the original. This show's bad points are mostly betaryal, it betrays all original ideas of what sccoby-doo was to the point were the characters are barely recognizable because of the drastic changes in their personality; the biggest insults to me were the fact that everyone aparently needed to have their own love interest within the group which thus altered how velma, shaggy and daphne worked the most; shaggy is apparently velma's dream guy now which as seen in the original she would instantly fall in a shallow puddle of love with guys who liked mysteries and books with a pinch of toughness and daphne is again the pretty girl but her talent now is being completely rich and nothing else, to me the best she has been is in thw what's new scooby doo which added a resourceful and tough attribue to her. Now it is good considering that it has a story line but that is not how scooby doo is supposed to work, at least in his original form; the formula back then was a simple travel around the country and then the world to solve various mysteries with a new view and clean slate every time. The new Scooby's formula is a bit harder, there is now a connection between things and there will rarely be a clean slate right after which makes it more realistic but in sacrifice for the diversity of locations once given. I admit the show is interesting and good , but I don't see it as the Scooby I once loved as a young boy but as a different show with new characters, which could have worked but of course it would not bring in as many could seriously poke many more holes in this show right now but it would be too long.
  • the rating should be 0

boo!! why? since when is velma a snotty little brat. fred is now a big fat non-brave doufus? what did you think? you ruined the hex girls, thorn is stupid now. it ruined my childhood memories. what about brave fred? brainy sweet velma? shaggy and scooby the unsplitable couple? and dahpney as the conpainion to fred? hanna barbara, if you see this i feel terrible for you- it should have stayed the way you wrote it. i cried when i first saw it. it made my 4year old break my TV. why? why, would you do this?

think about it, i want the old scooby back!!,

BOO_mystery_inc
  • This is not a classic, ok show!

What is wrong with alot of you people? This series is NOT A CLASSIC. This series is ok, but this is nothing compared to Scooby Doo, Where Are You? and What's New Scooby Doo. If, you judge the theme song: What's New Scooby Doo's theme song is a 9.5/10, Scooby Doo, Where Are You? theme is a 9/10, this show's theme song is a 7.5/10. If, you judge by art: What's New Scooby Doo is a 9/10, Scooby Doo, Where Are You? is a 9/10, this show's art style is a 6.5/10. If you judge by best plot/storylines: What's New Scooby Doo is a 8.5/10, Scooby Doo, Where Are You? is a 9/10, this show is a 7/10. I mean, I can't believe you guys think that this is better than Scooby Doo, Where Are You? and What's New Scooby Doo. Hate me all you want, bye
  • Highly Recommend this show

After seeing the 52nd and last episode of the series, I will say this ranks among my favorite cartoon shows (right there with JL, Avengers:EMH, etc). This show is a perfect blend of creepiness and humor that isn't dumbed down for little kids to enjoy as with what CN seems to be in favor of now. I totally loved the cameos and homages to the past Hanna Barberra shows that were sprinkled throughout the run. It's a show with a series long story line that comes together in one big finale. Stuff like that is a big gamble given how it can be a hit or miss. I will give CN credit for at least letting the show end with 52 eps which seems to be the new magic number for a show these days.

It may seem a bit dark, but sure beats the light hearted tone of the previous series versions. I just hope the next series will maintain at least most of the atmosphere of this one. This is a kids show that even older 'kids' can enjoy. Show them this show over something dumb like the annoying orange.
  • freaking love this!!!!

and for those who think that this new scooby-doo sucks and how the old is better or classic, well technically it still is a classic ,but this is a scooby doo that is not going to die out in the newer generation and the older scooby-doos are old school and lack of storyline,and i also prefer this newer scooby doo because theres more dramactic twists ,and we actually hear about their parents because they never talked about there personal life
  • Crystal Cove awaits you, Mystery Incorporated.

After the lame show that was "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue", it's fun to see Scooby and the gang in a good old mystery show again. From what I've seen so far, I think this is certainly one of the best cartoon shows of this decade. The animation is very good, because it mixes the "Scooby-Doo Where Are You?" animation, with the "What's New Scooby-Doo?" animation, giving the series a unique look that makes you wonder if this series was created back in the end of the 70's.

The monsters are creepy as Hell, and I dare to say that from all the monsters from the other shows, so far, these are the scariest looking of them all. I praise the work of the voice cast, who's doing a great job as always, and even though Matthew Lillard can not replace Casey Kasem as the voice of Shaggy, he is doing a pretty good job. Plus, Scooby starting to talk, instead of just repeating what the other characters say is a very good thing to see.

Also love what they did with the characters. They gave them deeper and more complex personalites, and well, I think it is actually fun to see Velma and Shaggy together, and the same thing could be said about Fred and Daphne. Still, I would like to see their relationships being steady instead of being on and off all the time. And speaking of the characters, they came up with great supporting characters like the Sheriff, Mayor Nettles, Marcy Fleach (aka. Hot Dog Water) and the old Mystery Inc. (I especially love Professor Pericles, because he's quite creepy and he's voiced by Udo Kier, who can sound extremely evil when he wants to), not to mention that we get to see some old acquaintances of Scooby and the gang like The Hex Girls and Vincent Van Ghoul... it's also nice to see old Hanna-Barbera characters making special appearences (Captain Caveman, Spee Buggy, Jabberjaw, Dynomutt and many more) or just silent cameos (such as teenage Pebbles and Bam-Bam).

And of course, let's not forget the interesting and almost addictive storyline. It' spooky, it's scay, it's interesting and most of all, it gives you chills up your spine. Season 1 was amazing and so for, season 2 is amust that must be seen by any person who considers hesf a Scooby-Doo fan.

Without a doubt this is the most serious and darkest Scooby-Doo series that was ever done so far, because we see the gang having to deal with everyday problems, instead of just solving mysteries.

The mystery of the Curse of Crystal Cove is a mystery which makes you question everything you know about Scooby-Doo. The clues have been laid for us, and it's up to us to see how they fit. I think this is the best series ever done ever since the "13 Ghosts" and that is something.

I do believe that Mystery Inc. is back to its roots, and even though the series will only be 2 seasons long, it will be 2 seasons that every Scooby-Doo fan will love!
  • This is Horrible

The orignal Scooby Doo series was a classic then he got his star on the Hollywood walk of fame. That should have been the end of it now we got the worst Scbooy Doo reboot yet. Worst of all people are calling this insult to a once classic great. The characters are nothing like the orignal charaters. It feels like a terrible Romance only with mysteries that take second to the romance. What the hell is up with that. The mysteries aren`t that grreat either it`s predictable or the ending is not realistic at all. Let the Dog rest in peace hasn`t he got his name smeared through the mud enough.
  • Not bad, but definitely not what I expected.

I seriously do not like it when CN makes bad previews of shows. However, it once again makes another bad preview of a show known as Scooby-Doo! Mystery Inc. Like Adventure, it kind of falls into the category of both good and bad. So basically, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I was hoping for. There are a few key factors that save this show from being a failure. One is the dark mood of the story. It seems well planned, while still being able to maintain some goofiness. Another thing I like is the voices and the animation. The lip syncs are matched, and the voices felt exactly like they were back in late 1900's. What's also great is the twists in the story. It is very good to enjoy. However, there are a number of factors that keep this show from being like the original. One is obviously the characters. I don't mind Shaggy, Scooby, or Daphne very much, but Fred and Velma are the ones I have serious problems with. Fred is just pretty much obsessed with traps now. What I also don't like about him is that his body looks really weird now. Fred's dad is pretty much a fat jerk who has no respect for his son at all, and Velma's mom is weird, and not in a good way. Velma, by far, is the worst character on this show. She's pretty much a hypocrite who wants to be right all the time, no matter what. She also wants to take the credit that other people accomplished. Another thing I don't like is the artwork. It doesn't seem right for this show. What I also don't like is the relationships. I wouldn't mind them if they weren't shoved in our faces every two minutes of the show.

Overall, SDMI is a good show, but its lack of good characters, shoved in relationships, and awkward artwork keep this show from being one of CN's better shows. However, if you can make through all these, SDMI is one show to definitely worth a shot.

Presentation: 9/10 Pretty good concept, which is able to differ from its predecessors, and its dark mood also contributes.

Animation: 6/10 Animation is great, although the artwork has much to be desired.

Voice: 9.5/10 Voices fit perfectly and the lips syncs seem to be on cue.

Entertainment: 7/10 Good plots, and great action is overshadowed by crammed-in relationships and boring characters.

Lasting Appeal: 7/10 If you can make it past the awkward artwork, boring characters, and shoved in relationships, then this show is for you.

FINAL SCORE: 7/10 Decent

• A great, fun for all the family show!

If some people thought that this scooby doo was getting old, they would be wrong. I've watched all the episodes that have aired and the curiosity of wanting to know what will happen next is unbearable. It's not just fun for kids, but contains things everyone can enjoy. The humour is also great, even though, nearer episodes 36-41 there are hardly any jokes, the laughs in season one are great.
  • The Chapters are wrong!

The Second Season wiil be first aired in Latin America. Cartoon Network LA confirmed some episodes from Part 2 of the Second Season:

* Chapter 42: "Aliens Among Us"

* Chapter 43: "The Horrible Herd"

* Chapter 44: "Dance of the Undead" *

* Chapter 45: "The Devouring"

* Chapter 46: "The Bag or Live" *

* Chapter 47: "The Man of the Mirror" *

* Chapter 48: "Nightmare in Red" *

* Unofficial english names

Sorry for my bad english I am from Mexico

• i, for one, actuqlly enjoy it.

Its one of those clqssics that you just cant ignore. I have been a fan sincr my first birthday. Its funny, clever, and a mystery that is great for the whole family! My dad and me veg out on the couch qnd watch it, roaring with laughter. Hey, dads like it too! Dont stop scooby do! Keep on comin!
  • A whole new Scooby-Doo, only much darker

At first, I didn't really care for this show because I didn't get it, & I felt it far off from the old Scooby-Doo (not the old Hannah Barbera one), so I tried avoiding it. But after watching it more carefully, & paying some much closer attention, I realized that it is actually much better than I thought, & it has something much new to it, a plot.

The old Hannah Barbera Scooby-Doo was the same formulaic plot-line of 'gang comes to a mystery, must solve it, catch a monster with a trap that always backfires, find out who's behind the mask, & "You meddling kids"' ends the episode. While "What's New Scooby-Doo" changed that around a bit more by removing the very formulaic premise & making it more tolerable. Mystery Incorporated took Scooby-Doo to a whole new level, & it is a lot darker too.

Mystery Inc. gave Scooby-Doo a darker tone (I love seeing darker themes/tones in kids stuff), a solid plot, much more fleshed out characters, worthy animation, & great story-telling. If I could pick out just one problem I have with this show, it's the unnecessary amount of CGI used in this.

Final summation, this Scooby-Doo is darker, fleshed out, & even has a solid plot, something that made this show a lot more interesting & worth creating.
  • It's more than just another Scooby Doo show

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated may sound another Scooby Doo cartoon, but it has more to it this time. The show is basically the is still the same format, monster haunts place, Scooby and gang investigate, catch villain, and repeat, but there is something new to the show, it's called a plot. The show is about the town Scooby, Fred, Daphene, Velma, and Shaggy lived in named Crystal Cove. Crystal Cove is notorious for having monsters and other paranormal activity and the town has made that into profit by marketing it as tourism of the haunted places. However, Scooby and the gang solve these cases and they are left letters and clues by a mysterious person who is telling them that there is more to Crystal Cove than originally thought and there is a huge mystery about it. Whatever the mystery is is for the gang to find out and uncover the town's past. The artwork looks great, character and monster designs look original if not inspired, and it has a ark atmosphere to the show and the same goes for the animation, it flows nice and smoothly. The mystery behind Crystal Cove is really interesting and it will keep you guessing as to what the answer is. The show though is not perfect and suffers from some minor things. The town relies too much on tourism. And honestly, who wants a town full of ghosts that are hurting people and scaring people? The romance sub plots are also really not interesting, especially how Fred is really oblivious of the fact that Daphene loves him. Speaking of Fred, he sets up traps for monsters, but sometimes his traps are a little too precise. If you see some of his traps and hear his explanation of them, you would be scratching your head as to how some of his traps work to, they are just too precise. Other then that, you will find Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated to be a nice revamp of the franchise and is a good show to watch. check it out of you already haven't done so.
  • I love most of versions of Scooby Doo. If people find it repetitive, they simply need not watch.

But this one is just too zany. i hate the sense of off beat humor. The lack of any individual personality of the characters. Its just too weird.
  • It's not the worst Scooby Doo show,but let the dog die already

4.5
    Scooby Doo is the most repetitive cartoon series ever made. Yes,it's even worse Pokemon. But after years of shows,shouldn't we let the freakin dog die out already? Now,we have this. Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. This show is about the Mystery Gang going to Crystal Cove lake,only to..you know,catch monsters that are really guys in costumes. But there is actually a positive factor about the show:It has a plot. Yes,finally something has changed. There are actually other mysteries besides monsters. Like who is Mr E? Or other stuff like that. I also love how this show relies on suspense less than humor. But when it does rely on humor,it's really weak,like disguising as italians only to say "We we". Another problem arethe characters. Shaggy and Scooby seem to be the only good characters like they have always been,and Scooby is more intellegent. But Fred is obsessed with traps now,and I know this is a nitpick,

But I find it a bit irritating that he always wears his ascot,even when he's shirtless. And His dad is a huge jerk. Daphne is obsessed over Fred now,I mean,REALLY obsessed. Velma is a complete jerk who basically always wants to be right. I also noticed how this show lacks the original,even if it is a reboot. In this show,there was an original Mystery Gang,and that black girl (Forgot her name),who is also a decent character,is one of them. If that's true,then what the hell was A Pup Named Scooby Doo? And in this show,Fred never met his parents. Okay,then who the hell were those people with Fred in Pirates Ahoy? Some of the designs look horrible,especially with Fred. But overall,it could be good at parts. But it's still a poor show. I prefer to watch What's New Scooby Doo than this.
  • Mystery inc is AWESOME

The greatest incarnation of Scooby Doo. I'm a huge scooby nerd. I grew up with it. And this show is just awesome. It's spooky, clever, funny, dark, and intriguing. The characters are great, the mysteries are great (albeit a little over the top, but their ridiculous is obviously a gag) and the creators really know the scooby mythos. It is a little mature, but i think any of the maturity will go over younger viewers heads, and anyone old enough to understand will enjoy it.

I like the romance and the over arching mystery.

It takes all that's great about Scooby Doo, uses it and adds a twist.
  • I am ashamed of this show it makes my blood boil. :(

i am 15 i have every scooby doo show in the world. i love scooby doo so much. i was really ecited for this show to come out. i watched it and started crying. i grew up with scooby doo being a mystery solving show.

velma is a flirt and went out with shaggy. when i was young they had fun solving mysteries. now the show is full of hormonal girls and it is more about the more then friends relationships than it is solving the mystery. whenever i watch this show it makes me cry because just knowing that it is about all the sexual stuff and flirting and all makes my blood boil.

i want the children in this generation to know that scooby doo is a nice show with mystery solving non hormonal teenagers and this this is rediculous. it NEED to be canceled again.

it is completely changed. :(
  • A fresh new twist on a old classic that I'm sure most fans will enjoy.

This Scooby-Doo is not like the Scooby-Doo your parents grew up with, it focuses on a Mystery Inc. that not only solves mysterys, but deals with teen problems as well. I really love how the gang has been given some personlity in this one, and how they eveole from episode to episode, yea don't see that in the old scooby series. Another thing you don't see back then is the relationships that brew between them. FredxDaphne seems to be alive and well in this one (for the most part) and I won't get started on how much I love ShaggyxVelma. On top top of all that is the stange Mr.E who is leads the gang to a mystery that spans though the season. Needless to say, this Scoody ROCKS!
  • Reboot... Love it

I love Scooby Doo. I used to watch the reruns as a kid and now I have kids of my own. My problem with the reruns is that it didnt have a continuous plot. One of the reason why I love the reboot. It makes it an actual show with a plot. Yes Fred may be trap obsessed but he was always trap obsessed. But I love that with each new episode the plot continues. My kids love it and it is something that we can all watch as a family. Because kid shows sometimes are the same thing over and over and over again. Its nice to be able to watch something that changes.
  • Aaaaaahhhhh!!! *Pulls own hair in frustration*

What is this I see!? Really! What IS this piece of crap that Cartoon Network pooped out onto my screen?
    I used to love Scooby-Doo. It was a relatively fun show, but what they've done to it has ruined my image of it completely. Since when is Fred a trap-obsessive, totally oblivious clod? And since when did Daphne have the Barbie Doll Syndrome (When she's not dancing with the prince in her princess castle, she's riding horses to save sick pets as a veterinarian. Then it's off to the ocean to do some surfing and find out she's really a mermaid)?

Please, don't even get me started on VELMA. When the fudge did she become a bratty, insecure, retarded hormonal little girl? Wat happened to the confident, quirky, interested only in science and not in boys Velma? The animation is terrible, the plotline is okay, but still needs more work than I can begin to say.

Overall, two thumbs DOWN.
  • Why does everyone like this?

2.5

I will never understand why everyone likes this show so much. This is just a hole in the Scooby Doo franchise,and is bad. This show is about Mystery Inc going to a place called Crystal Cove,which is full of monsters and ghosts. The first thing that I hate about this show is the artwork. Seriously,everyone looks a bit different now. They all have dots for eyes again,Fred has a oddly shaped chin,and Velma looks a bit different. The characters don't even act like their normal selves anymore,and are idiots. Shaggy and Scooby still act the same,but are not obsessed with food anymore. Daphne only care about Fred now,and it's annoying how she keeps mentioning how she loves him. Velma is more annoying now,and it's now known that she and Shaggy were a couple. I am not kidding,they were originally in love,but he dumped her for Scooby. Since when was Shaggy in love with Velma? Fred plans the traps,but he now wears that stupid ascot again,(And even wore it while swimming!). They even made up things that were never in the original shows. For example,there was an original Mystery Inc. Um,last time I checked,Scooby and the gang started Mystery Inc. And Fred never met his real parents. Umm,remember in Pirates Ahoy! where Fred had his parents with him? Seriously,I feel like the creators haven't seen the original Scooby Doo. But this isn't the worst Scooby Doo I have ever seen. There are some things that I like about this show. For example,I like how this show brings suspense in it. And the twists are great. But to make things clear,I hate this show. I mean,it's not like that horrible Shaggy and Scooby Doo Get A Clue.but it's still bad. If you like this show,I'm okay with that,but I just don't like this show.

• Wow, really? a Gritty reboot? that's all they're doing with old franchises with these days... wait! wait a second! this is actually loads of awesome!

Well, this series, like the last few Scooby Doo shows/movies, pokes fun at all possible Scooby Doo cliches we've come to love over the 41 years it's been on air, only this time along with the lampshading we have a slightly darker humor under it for a much different experience than before.
    How different? Fred steals a body from the police! And it is funny!
    The animation though is, well different, it's a sharp style and i understand what they're going for with it, though it's still not the prettiest to look at, but it's certainly not terrible, sub-par at worst.
    The characters are being interpreted in a much more interesting fashion than normal, they're still the ones we know, but slightly more realistic, well, realistic in a sense that those are the kind of people you'd understand would do the crazy task of solving misteries for no good reason.
    Overall, it's just really amusing and well-written, it's only a pilot so far, but it has potential, wanna see a new jab at scooby doo with a light dosis of black comedy? This is the show to go.

In my personal opinion though, the now crazy awesome fred steals the show.
  • horrible remake of a decent show

the new personalities and what not for the characters were terrible ideas and the writing for some of the eps doesn't even make sense >_>
    like for example daphne is now allergic to like everything, velma has an attitude and calls people she doesn't know anything about a freak, and fred is even dumber than in every other version and now can't make traps without daphne around which kills continuality. but the main problem besides velma's disgusting new attitude is the awful writing. like for example in the prom episode the persona responsible was the creepers suposed daughter. considering she was very young at the time of him getting arrested and that would make the gang in their 30's to 40's now since she's all grown up. not to mention common sense would of helped them see that she wasn't who she said she was >_>. unless they can improve the writing i wont bother watching.
  • It had potential...but it was ultimately bogged down by cliches (Warning: spoilers!)

Evidently, this is a revamp of the Scooby Doo series. So...this would mean it is a separate universe from the previous shows and movies (though there are references to the latter everywhere). So I will not be comparing this show to those shows/movies...too much. There are definite pros and cons about "Scooby Doo-Mystery Incorporated," so I am willing to go through both for this review.

First...the pros. As far as an actual plot, this show has a pretty good overall one. The idea that there was a previous Mystery Inc. and they suddenly and mysteriously disappeared was an original idea. And it was a pretty good reason to keep watching. Not only that, this show is much darker than its previous incarnations. These villains (Professor Pericles in particular) are more than willing to hurt the gang, which heightens the tension. There was this whole aura of impending doom throughout the episodes, and it was exciting. The more subtle references to previous shows were a nice touch, too.

But now...we have to get into the cons. This is where most of the spoilers will occur if you haven't seen the final episodes.

First of all, three words: CLICHED TEEN ANGST. Sure, the gang are supposed to be teenagers, but...while they're trying to solve this big, underlying conspiracy that pretty much involves the whole town, they're worrying about...stupid things. The worst thing that happened in the show was the forced romances. Sure, Daphne and Fred's romance made a little more sense, since there's always been a hinted connection to them. But the idea of Shaggy and Velma together...it just doesn't work. That, and the characters have been so badly Flanderized that they aren't too interesting. Daphne is obsessed with Fred, Fred is obsessed with traps, and Velma is obsessed with making Shaggy a person he isn't just to suit her needs, which makes her look like a selfish jerk. Quite honestly, I can see why Shaggy picked Scooby over her. Shaggy and Scooby didn't suffer too much; they're still pretty much the same goofy cowards we all know and love. But Scooby being so jealous of Velma and Shaggy still felt...wrong.

Some of the other characters weren't that great. I didn't like the revamped Hex Girls. There were also some plot holes I saw that didn't get resolved. For example, the gang never figured out that Alice May wasn't really the Creeper's daughter. Really, who was she? Plus, Professor Pericles never seemed like a sympathetic character to me, even though he was supposed to be a friend to the original Mystery Inc. Even before his ultimate betrayal, it always just felt like he would be happier if the kids were dead.

And then there was the final episode of the season. The case of the missing Mystery Inc. was solved, but...it also ended with a big fat cliffhanger. We finally figure out why Fred's dad was acting all self-centered and sneaky: turns out, he was the mastermind behind the whole thing, willing to coerce the original group, betray Pericles, and even kidnap Fred (whose real parents are the Fred and Daphne of the original gang) to find the pieces of an artifact that supposedly leads to an ancient treasure which, as Fred points out, may not even exist. Immediately after this revelation, all the kids are split up (cruel irony there) thanks to their parents (who all seem to have this jerky quality to them), Pericles gets the two pieces of the artifact, and Scooby swears revenge.

So...let's hope that they're making a second season. They pretty much have to after dumping all those revelations on us like that. All they need to do is focus more on the plot and less on the cliched teenager junk, and this show will do just fine. Overall, this show gets a thumbs-up from me.

< 1 2