Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

TVTome_Shadow

Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated Fan Reviews (66)

7.8
  • Understand some changes, others not so much...

Firstly, I'd like to begin by stating that I was a huge fan of the old Scooby-Doo shows on Cartoon Network when I was growing up, even the short-lived ones like the 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo. Having said that I understand that the formula needed to be brought into the 21st century if they were going to succeed in a new generation as the world has changed drastically since the show was first on the air and what we expect from our television along with it. It's because of this I agree with their decision to have a long story arc incorporated (pun not intended) into the story line with dark plot elements, something I applaud the writing staff for trying to do and succeeding, especially given the source material. By doing this, the writing has to become better, both with the monster of the week and with the entire series as a whole and improvements to anything, even something that has already been so successfully established is always welcome. What I don't understand is the change in the characters' personalities as it seems to be targeted towards such a niche audience. Young children don't particularly care about teenage romance and older viewers remember the dynamic between the characters that they had grown to love. The drama and comedy came with the interactions between this group of five friends that were comfortable around each other and reacted differently towards the danger that they came across, nothing more, allowing viewers to identify with what character they were most like. By adding this element of teenage romance and drama, you diminish this aspect of relatability and cheapen the other aspects of the show, both in plot and the characters interactions. We didn't need to know that these characters were real people with real emotions, just caricatures of people who were good friends and traveled around together solving mysteries, something almost everyone would think was a great way to spend one's time.