How to tell if someone is a villain

nyfan

[1]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 20

So what have you noticed when trying to guess who will be the man behind the monster or ghost mask at the end of the episode? Most of us know who they are by now, let's pretend we are watching the show for the first time. So what tells have you noticed?

1) What I have heard, most of the time, it is someone the gang meets early in the episode, and mostly the first person they meet.

2) What I have noticed, most of the time, it is the person that tells the gang the legend of so called ghost or monster.

You guys have any others you want to add.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cherrytree34

[2]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 13
    Both true. Plus, he's usually the last person you would expect. Like, the really nice man who owns the hotel where they're staying. We often have a creepy red herring character, like an ugly butler or something, who turns out to be a really nice guy in the end.

nyfan

[3]Sep 13, 2007

cherrytree34 wrote:
    Both true. Plus, he's usually the last person you would expect. Like, the really nice man who owns the hotel where they're staying. We often have a creepy red herring character, like an ugly butler or something, who turns out to be a really nice guy in the end.

You mean like the butler in "Go Away Ghost Ship", he was listiening on the gang's conversation, which was meant to throw the viewers off into thinking he was the ghost pirate.

Uncatoon

[4]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 24
    Mr. Greenway (That's Snow Ghost!) gives it away from the very start with his evil laugh.

nyfan

[5]Sep 26, 2007
    Another thing I noticed, anytime someone outside of the Mystery Inc. gang (most of the time that would be Daphne) gets kidnapped by the so called monster or ghost. 90% of the time, it is a fake kidnapping, and the person is the villain. The only exception I can think of is Sharon in What The Hex Is Going On? and in the same episode the person that turned out to be the villain uncle Stewartwas also "kidnapped" by the ghost.
    Edited on 09/26/2007 9:58pm

Uncatoon

[6]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 24
    Too many ghosts/monsters give themselves away with their voice alone. Buck Masters (Decoy For A Dognapper) gave himself away when he (dressed as the Indian spirit) and his henchmen uncrated Scooby and spoke in his regular voice. Mr. Fong (Mystery Mask Mix-Up) does the same dressed as Zin Tuo.

nyfan

[7]Oct 12, 2007

Uncatoon wrote:
    Too many ghosts/monsters give themselves away with their voice alone. Buck Masters (Decoy For A Dognapper) gave himself away when he (dressed as the Indian spirit) and his henchmen uncrated Scooby and spoke in his regular voice. Mr. Fong (Mystery Mask Mix-Up) does the same dressed as Zin Tuo.

Not to mention in Pirates Ahoy movie, when Wellington, I know he was bad guy, because he is voiced by Ron Pearlman. He is known for playing bad guys, the only character of his that turned out not to be bad was Mr. Lancer fron Danny Phantom. Other than that, if you watch a cartoon and hear Ron Pearlman's voice, he is a bad guy.

mangafreak15

[8]Oct 19, 2007
    • level: 19
    cherrytree34 wrote:

In other words, expect the unexpected, right?

nyfan

[9]Oct 23, 2007

cherrytree34 wrote:

Yeah, also sometimes these creepy red herring characters turn out to be undercover law enforcement officers.

amaryllis88

[10]Dec 22, 2008
    nyfan wrote:
    Yeah, also sometimes these creepy red herring characters turn out to be undercover law enforcement officers.

Like the mysterious gardener in "Scooby doo on Zombie Island." Velma was onto his suspicious nature from the beginning! All the posts are right, they usually give us something to chew on right off the bat, and then slowly develop what their true intentions are at the end. I love the title of this thread, it's a great one to nit-pick on the episodes with. The villain has their hair cut in a different manner, or it's the crazy uncle that's a recluse, or it's the same guy who laid down the nails in the road to pop the Mystery machine's tires...etc. It's actually kind of sad in a way that they would attach the "ugly" adjective to any villainous creature, like the not so good-looking maid, yeah she's in on it too, or the creepy butler, when in actuality, they really aren't such bad characters to begin with. Oh well, it's supposed to be a kids show, but I love it to death anyway!

amaryllis88

[11]Jan 28, 2009
    nyfan wrote:
    1) What I have heard, most of the time, it is someone the gang meets early in the episode, and mostly the first person they meet.

2) What I have noticed, most of the time, it is the person that tells the gang the legend of so called ghost or monster.

This thread is such a great idea, pretty much, every time I watch an episode, I'm looking for these clues to drive me in the right direction. So, I watched an episode tonight on Boomerang, which I'm not sure if it's part of the Cartoon Network or not...but it was a half hour, uninterrupted of Scooby goodness, and it was great! So the episode I watched was "Never Ape An Ape Man," which if you think about it, it gives away the villain w/in the title, if you were to actually ponder the meaning behind the verb "to ape." Which is increasingly similar to mimicking somebody or something, almost in a childish sort of way. Ok, enough philosophizing about that.
    Anytime a costume or costumes are being used, you can always bet that the wrong people will be wearing those costumes, or if the costumes are meant to portray animals, usually the real animal will show up. Secondly, you can always bet that something or someone will "sabotage" something. You can always assure that Fred will come up with an elaborate system of pullies or strings, or something that will capture the baddie. And lastly, Scooby and Shaggy are infamously used as bait... but that's to be expected; although anytime there's a damsel in distress, somehow Scooby has balls enough to stand up against the baddie, no matter how ferocious it is, but if it's in any other circumstances, he's just as scared as the rest of 'em. Interesting, isn't it? I grew up watching this cartoon, and it's been a fave of mine ever since!

EddieGuerreroET

[12]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 8
    It's rarely who you think it is - they make it seem really obvious then surprise you!

bander8

[13]Aug 12, 2009
    • level: 4
    The villain is always the guy who dresses up as a monster.

WWinnieF

[14]Jul 28, 2010
    bander8 wrote:
    The villain is always the guy who dresses up as a monster.
    And the standard, "I would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids and your dog."

MadameCat

[15]Feb 14, 2011
    • level: 16

First guy who looks innocent--old Farmer ends up being it.

Stephen0684

[16]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 8

Or a voice actor because 9 out of 10 times the villain was voiced either by Casey Kasem, Don Messick, Frank Welker, John Stephenson, Hal Smith, or Janet Waldo (in Janet's case the Scooby Doo Show) and they mostly played other people that the gang met eariler in that episode. There are some exemptions like either the villian was played by a different voice actor, another person that the gang never met until the unmasking, or they guess the wrong person as the villian.