Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!

Never Ape an Ape Man

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Oct 25, 1969 on CBS

• Great use of a classic Hanna-Barbera plot device

As a long-time Hanna-Barbera fan, this is one of my favorite Scooby-Doo episodes to be produced. It is pretty cool, since it takes place on a movie studio. And we get to see Jean Vanderpyl (Wilma Flintstone) voice someone in this episode. But anyways, like many Hanna-Barbera cartoons, this is the episode they'd always do with a bad guy impersonating the good guy. They've done it with Fred Flintstone impersonated by an alien, and another one had Squiddly Diddly being impersonated by a spy, and Ricochet Rabbit also experienced some Double Trouble. This would also happen to Hong Kong Phooey and Richie Rich years later. In this example, we get Scooby-Doo being impersonated by the Ape Man! Sure, he only has a mask instead of a full costume, but it's very realistic. Hanna-Barbera seems to always design realistic costumes for disguise scenes in their shows, and this is no exception. In fact, I might try making a Scooby-Doo mask myself! (once I get the money) Sure, Scooby was also impersonated by J.C. Chasez in 2005 on "A Scooby-Doo Valentine," but this is way better.