Scott & Bailey

ITV (ended 2016)

TheOldBill

Scott & Bailey Fan Reviews (5)

• Good acting by many however the character of Bailey is appalling

I have watched all the episodes thus far and find it quite unbelievable that a character like Rachel Bailey could be working in such a professional capacity - She is higher dysfunctional with borderline mental health issues & comes across as just too unbelievable to be in such a position in the public service. She is allowed by her superiors and her colleagues to accept no responsibility for the carnage and suffering she afflicts on others and she rarely shows any empathy for others. This kind of character in the real world would just not work in such a capacity and because of her highly dysfunctional character is is quite unbelievable to see her as a brilliant mind - far from it actually! ... I see her as quite a disturbing character with a disturbing mindset and there is nothing portrayed in her character or even her actions whilst at work which shows this so called brilliance. I feel the writers have created a very unlikeable and unbelievable character that many would just not be able to relate to, nor really enjoy watching. The show itself does put out good acting performances by many of the cast members - Amelia Bullmore has a terrific presence in the show. Not sure if I will tune in to season4 because Bailey for me ruins what is otherwise a good police drama
  • Man up, men!

My husband and I both look forward to watching these strong women solve crimes and cope with

their personal lives, but I'm ready to see a man or two worthy of them. I much prefer British detective shows to American ones and this is my favorite. Brilliant!
  • I agree with JamesGourley

This crime part of this show is good but as James Gourley states, the male characters are all hopeless and quite frankly, I don't know how the female leads are able to do their job with their neurotic antics. In the episode I just watched, the blonde women touched a male colleagues bottom - to everyone's amusement, there would have been screams of sexual harassment if it had been the other way around.. Stick to the crime and scrap the cardboard give the two female leads some backbone..
  • Love it!

My daughter and I are halfway through season two. (series two) We are fond of partner-detective shows, but have found this to be more authentic and down to earth than any other of our favorites. As another reviewer mentioned last year, most the male characters are whiny gits. That is a bit exaggerated, but we're too busy enjoying the interaction of the partners, the way they deal with their lives and one another, and the way their minds work when solving crimes. We love this show, for its portrayal of strong women AND for it's attempt to make the stories a bit more realistic.
  • Time to speak up

I think this is a good show, and I watch it regularly for its good writing and acting and strong story lines. However, it has one major flaw, which is not duplicated in any other TV show I can think of, and I believe it's high time someone pointed it out.

Scott and Bailey was created and is written by women, its producer and executive producers are women and its three main stars are women, and their characters are all good, strong personalities. Nothing wrong with that, you say - women should get a fairer shake on TV - and I agree entirely, were it not for the fact that the male characters are all, without exception, rubbish, ranging from useless to psychotic. And these are not the villains the main two characters pursue, who are often sickening, but the back-story people. Janet Scott's husband Ade is a whining, selfish baby who complains about her mother, loses his temper and is generally a waste of space. Her admirer Andy Roper is a stalker in the making, who can't take no for an answer and turns up uninvited in the pub and at her home, pressing his by now unwanted attentions on her. Oh, and he's sorry for himself - actually, most of the men in this show are sorry for themselves. Rachel Bailey has had two boy friends so far: the current one, Geoff Hastings, is a breezy male chauvinist who never listens and thinks she wants decisions taken for her; the previous one, barrister Nick Savage, is a psychotic womaniser and possible killer. Her brother, Dominic, was in prison for armed robbery, can't keep or even get a job and hangs around her house all day feeling sorry for himself (see what I mean?). Gill Murray's ex, Dave, is a loud-mouthed aggressive drunk (and a womaniser, natch), who - you've guessed it - feels sorry for himself most of the time. To sum up, the men are pathetic caricatures - except maybe Kevin Lumb, of whom the best that can be said is: "cheery, nothing much up top". The rest have few or no redeeming features.

Just imagine the squeals of outrage if a show was aired in which most of the credits went to men, all the main starring roles were for men, and women only appeared as tarts, hysterics, nags or bitches. Those responsible would never hear the last of it. Come on, ladies, let's have one or two halfway decent male characters ordinary men can identify with!