Scott & Bailey

Wednesday 9:00 PM on ITV Premiered May 29, 2011 Between Seasons

TheOldBill

Scott & Bailey Fan Reviews (5)

• Time to speak up

I think this is a good show, and I watch it regularly for its good writing and acting and strong story lines. However, it has one major flaw, which is not duplicated in any other TV show I can think of, and I believe it's high time someone pointed it out.

Scott and Bailey was created and is written by women, its producer and executive producers are women and its three main stars are women, and their characters are all good, strong personalities. Nothing wrong with that, you say - women should get a fairer shake on TV - and I agree entirely, were it not for the fact that the male characters are all, without exception, rubbish, ranging from useless to psychotic. And these are not the villains the main two characters pursue, who are often sickening, but the back-story people. Janet Scott's husband Ade is a whining, selfish baby who complains about her mother, loses his temper and is generally a waste of space. Her admirer Andy Roper is a stalker in the making, who can't take no for an answer and turns up uninvited in the pub and at her home, pressing his by now unwanted attentions on her. Oh, and he's sorry for himself - actually, most of the men in this show are sorry for themselves. Rachel Bailey has had two boy friends so far: the current one, Geoff Hastings, is a breezy male chauvinist who never listens and thinks she wants decisions taken for her; the previous one, barrister Nick Savage, is a psychotic womaniser and possible killer. Her brother, Dominic, was in prison for armed robbery, can't keep or even get a job and hangs around her house all day feeling sorry for himself (see what I mean?). Gill Murray's ex, Dave, is a loud-mouthed aggressive drunk (and a womaniser, natch), who - you've guessed it - feels sorry for himself most of the time. To sum up, the men are pathetic caricatures - except maybe Kevin Lumb, of whom the best that can be said is: "cheery, nothing much up top". The rest have few or no redeeming features.

Just imagine the squeals of outrage if a show was aired in which most of the credits went to men, all the main starring roles were for men, and women only appeared as tarts, hysterics, nags or bitches. Those responsible would never hear the last of it. Come on, ladies, let's have one or two halfway decent male characters ordinary men can identify with!
PBS