Scoundrels Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Episode Discussion: 1x01 And Jill Came Tumbling After (Jun 20)

TesserT

[1]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 74
    Let's discuss Sunday's episode And Jill Came Tumbling After here.

from ABC.go.com: Can a family of small-time criminals go legit? Scoundrels tells the story of the Wests, who are forced to change their lifestyle after the man of the house gets sent to the big house.
    Edited on 12/05/2011 11:02am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yaspaa

[2]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 78
    Hi TesserT, is this worth watching?

AnoukvdZee

[3]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 15

I absolutely loved this episode, if they keep it up, it's gonna be a great show. Everybody watch, please, because it really is worth watching. For a family of crooks, they have a pretty normal family dynamic - only just a bit turned upside down. And watching them try to be good, sounds really funny to me. I can't wait to see what will happen.

phxacme

[4]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 2
    It has potential. I just hope they don't go for the cliche vilification of the police

pgsuperfan

[5]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 25

Looks good I may watch more

EJamison

[6]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 17

It wasn't horrible but I wasn't too impressed. I might keep watching to see if it improves but I don't really expect it to.

holgatej77

[8]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 6

First of all, if you turned it off within the first 1/2 hour, you really should look into watching the rest of the episode. I guess I was expecting Arrested Development. I spent the first 30 minutes wondering when it was going to get funny. I was wondering if it was supposed to be funny. That's the thing, the Scoundrels [pilot] can't tell if it wants to be a comedy or a drama. It's not funny enough to be a comedy, but the drama isn't... serious enough to be dramatic. And I didn't get the impression that it was supposed to be a "dramedy." Fortunately that changed a bit in the second half; it got funnier... and more serious. I guess the best way to describe it was the first half was literally lifeless and the second half had a bit of a pulse. And, hey, The US version of The Office pilot was a word-for-word version of the UK one and look how that's turned out (good, it's turned out good.) So there's hope yet...

TesserT

[9]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 74
    Yes it's based on the New Zealand series, "Outrageous Fortunes" but I take each new series on its own merits regardless of its start.

The 2nd half was definitely better than the first. But it's a pilot episode so it was basically setting the ground rules and what the "West" family is all about. Light summer comedy is the name of the game for this series. I guess I'll continue watching more to see how well the story and character development advances - the stories will have to get stronger.

Peggy_Porcupine

[10]Jun 23, 2010
    • level: 13

Just watched it. When I discovered how Wolf really felt about his wife -

that was when I decided it might be a very interesting series.

Will give it a chance.

Peggy from Porcupine

RobinCook

[11]Jun 24, 2010
    • level: 4

I have watched all five seasons of Outrageous Fortune (OF) and am still addicted to it plus sad if the rumor is true that season 6 will be the last. The show is perfectly done ... casting, presentation, music, characters, language, scripts, sets, clothing, camera work, etc. With this said, it is difficult to envision an attempt to make a copycat series of Scoundrels with a different cast and other than the Wolf West's name, using different names for the other West family members. The character, Wolf, played in Scoundrels (David James Elliott ... JAG), is hard to accept in this role. He doesn't have the tough-guy premise that the original OF actor has, which is most unique and intriguing. Mother West is another hard one to accept in Scoundrels because she doesn't really have the appearance of age or any type of weathered look about her to have had four kids. I could go on with the casting comparisons, but this would go on too long if I did.

I struggled hard to get to the end of this episode and did my best to give it an open mind when viewing it. None of the characters' acting styles even remotely portray the original OF characters ... and what's the deal with changing the West family member names? Did the budget afford to only be able to buy the Wolf name, but none of the others? I suppose I'm a bit more critical of this new show because ... well, the original OF is PERFECT, so how can anything really compare with it or even come close to copying that perfection? I guess the attempt to do a remake was perhaps to grab the USA audience more ... but due to USA censoring laws there is NO way this can properly be done. A lot of language and nudity scenes in OF that adds to the flavor of the show's content isn't allowed on USA commercial tv shows. I wonder if Scoundrels might be better if the censor's stamp were lifted? I don't know, but it does make a big difference in making the characters more real in Outrageous Fortune. I cringe at the thought of USA commercial television getting ahold of OF to air and all the blipping/beeping sounds of censorship for the "bad words" and cutting out risque scenes ... this is one way to ruin a topnotch excellent tv show.

I do admit that viewing the first episode of OF I was interested, but the show hadn't grabbed me into addiction yet, so it is possible that I'm too biased to give Scoundrels a better review. But, when something is perfect like OF, no one can successfully make a copy of it using different people and expect it to be a clean exacting xerox. I recommend that people see Outrageous Fortune (uncensored) and judge for themselves.

tjaman

[12]Jun 28, 2010
    • level: 32
    Well, they can be expected to have and to express some opinion of law enforcement.

gabfan31

[13]Dec 30, 2010
    • level: 100
    I tried it, and honestly, it's a badly cast, very pale copy of the outstanding original. I can immediately see why it didn't get more than an eight episode run. It's too bad, I'm a big fan of David James Elliot from his JAG days, and with OF finishing, I really wanted to have a reinvented substitution to help me when I'm jonesing for one of my favorite shows. But I guess I'm not surprised- most of the outrageousness that made the original a guilty pleasure was never going to make it past the censors and PC patrol. My advice to any true fans- find a copy of the original (all 6 seasons of OF are or will be available on DVD) and give that a look see- just make sure it's adults only, given the language and sexual situations in just about every eppy.