Scrubs Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Zach Braff not signing for season 9?

memmapunk

[1]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 7

Could you imagine Scrubs without JD?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jimbo_001

[2]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 56
    Not as much as I imagine the Scrubs forum without trolls... it's such a happier place.

alex6992

[3]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 12
    Happyhappyhappy
    I mean seriously right season 1074 of scrubs without JD? O M G

Maximum_Taco

[4]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 13
    Let's get through season 8 first why not?

ecks879

[5]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 3
    End Scrubs at Season 8. The episodes are falling in quality (My Princess made me cringe)

Party_Mike

[6]Jul 6, 2008
    • level: 10
    ecks879 wrote:
    End Scrubs at Season 8. The episodes are falling in quality (My Princess made me cringe)

I don't get this. I liked My Princess quite a bit. I don't get why people thought it wasn't good.

alexs2007

[7]Jul 6, 2008
    • level: 4
    Party_Mike wrote:

I don't get this. I liked My Princess quite a bit. I don't get why people thought it wasn't good.

Maybe because it's in american taste of musical or comedy, wich most of european fans don't have.

Thinking about wich happened in that ep., it's a good one for me, in a season less medical and much more oriented to personal and human developments of characters' lifes. imho.

Dirk13

[8]Jul 6, 2008
    • level: 16
    alexs2007 wrote:
    Party_Mike wrote:

Maybe because it's in american taste of musical or comedy, wich most of european fans don't have.

Thinking about wich happened in that ep., it's a good one for me, in a season less medical and much more oriented to personal and human developments of characters' lifes. imho.

well i'm an american, and i didnt think it was good, but it was not supposed to be the final episode anyway just some other episode they aired out of sync.

btw, my theory was that scrubs was talked about being cnaclled if you recall because braff was getting busy and was thinking about not signing on for the later seasons, except then his next movie kind of bombed and you didnt hear much about it after that.

I think braff realized how great scrubs was and that maybe not every movie he did would be like garden state, and that he ahd a good thing going with scrubs, and i bet thats why there specifically arent talks about him not signing to continue to do the show, because it's such a great gig.

mstheresa1969

[9]Jul 6, 2008
    • level: 36
    JD is what makes the show. If he leaves, they may as well cancel it

alexs2007

[10]Jul 6, 2008

Dirk13 wrote:
    well i'm an american, and i didnt think it was good, but it was not supposed to be the final episode anyway just some other episode they aired out of sync. btw, my theory was that scrubs was talked about being cnaclled if you recall because braff was getting busy and was thinking about not signing on for the later seasons, except then his next movie kind of bombed and you didnt hear much about it after that. I think braff realized how great scrubs was and that maybe not every movie he did would be like garden state, and that he ahd a good thing going with scrubs, and i bet thats why there specifically arent talks about him not signing to continue to do the show, because it's such a great gig.

Are you referring to Open Hearts ?

On imdb.com Braff declared: "There is always pressure, but I'm going to do something that isn't anything like Garden State. "The next thing I will do will be completely different, Open Hearts, which is a Danish movie that I adapted. "It's a really dark drama about a car accident and the way the accident affects all the people involved in it. I was going to do it this summer, but since I couldn't get my top people I'm waiting until next summer."4 sept 2006

Don't know much about Braff's stuffs, but I remember he did Garden State and Last Kiss being still in the cast of Scrubs. And the 7th season was, in the beginning, the last one, after writers'strike and NBC trouble was planned the 8th season and he signed about. But I cannot have infos about these stories, have only red somewhere, in case of a 9th season, both Bill Lawrence and Braff would give up. But...who knows...

Anyway, I agree, Scrubs without JD and the usual main cast would be weird.

Dirk13

[11]Jul 6, 2008
    alexs2007 wrote:

Dirk13 wrote:
    well i'm an american, and i didnt think it was good, but it was not supposed to be the final episode anyway just some other episode they aired out of sync. btw, my theory was that scrubs was talked about being cnaclled if you recall because braff was getting busy and was thinking about not signing on for the later seasons, except then his next movie kind of bombed and you didnt hear much about it after that. I think braff realized how great scrubs was and that maybe not every movie he did would be like garden state, and that he ahd a good thing going with scrubs, and i bet thats why there specifically arent talks about him not signing to continue to do the show, because it's such a great gig.

Are you referring to Open Hearts ?

On imdb.com Braff declared: "There is always pressure, but I'm going to do something that isn't anything like Garden State. "The next thing I will do will be completely different, Open Hearts, which is a Danish movie that I adapted. "It's a really dark drama about a car accident and the way the accident affects all the people involved in it. I was going to do it this summer, but since I couldn't get my top people I'm waiting until next summer."4 sept 2006

Don't know much about Braff's stuffs, but I remember he did Garden State and Last Kiss being still in the cast of Scrubs. And the 7th season was, in the beginning, the last one, after writers'strike and NBC trouble was planned the 8th season and he signed about. But I cannot have infos about these stories, have only red somewhere, in case of a 9th season, both Bill Lawrence and Braff would give up. But...who knows...

Anyway, I agree, Scrubs without JD and the usual main cast would be weird.

i'm refering to whatever he did after Garden State. I didnt solely mean like it as in like that type of movie, but like it in its level of sucess, which none of his film project after really have been, and after that went down, talk of him being the stopper for more seasons of scrubs stopped, and there was then little discussion of the possibility of him not signing on again (such as for the new seasons on ABC).
    Edited on 07/06/2008 3:15pm

alexs2007

[12]Jul 7, 2008

Dirk13 wrote:
    i'm refering to whatever he did after Garden State. I didnt solely mean like it as in like that type of movie, but like it in its level of sucess, which none of his film project after really have been, and after that went down, talk of him being the stopper for more seasons of scrubs stopped, and there was then little discussion of the possibility of him not signing on again (such as for the new seasons on ABC).

If I'm right, I think he's a young growing actor searchin' for some new directions for his career (this also means having works letting him gain money...nothing wrong, we've seen lots of big movie stars doing films cash-oriented while being at the top of their career)

If this means not being trapped in a single type of character, I think he won't think about a long to give up portraying JD...any other my opinion about actors how have to play in the star-system-business-gossip related stuffs would be only opinions...don't know how it really works in that world, maybe they even dont know completely, that's why they use star-managers...I think.

As I said before, I'll be sad thinking no more Scrubs or Scrubs without main characters.

Dirk13

[13]Jul 7, 2008
    I dunno, maybe it;s how it was written but i really dont understand what you're saying in the second part of your post.

the fact is after garden state made it big was when there was talk that he wouldnt sign for another season, then he did a few more movies afterward that were pretty much flops and the talk of him not signing disspeared, they are even moving the show to a whole other network (which is rather unprecedented) and he appears on board for that.

So what if he's a young actor, scrubs is a great gig and although Garden State was a defining film, i dont think it's hard to tell that the poor performances of the ones after (which felt geared somewhat similar in tone) were a likely trigger a closer commitment to scrubs.

alexs2007

[14]Jul 8, 2008

Dirk13 wrote:
    I dunno, maybe it;s how it was written but i really dont understand what you're saying in the second part of your post. the fact is after garden state made it big was when there was talk that he wouldnt sign for another season, then he did a few more movies afterward that were pretty much flops and the talk of him not signing disspeared, they are even moving the show to a whole other network (which is rather unprecedented) and he appears on board for that. So what if he's a young actor, scrubs is a great gig and although Garden State was a defining film, i dont think it's hard to tell that the poor performances of the ones after (which felt geared somewhat similar in tone) were a likely trigger a closer commitment to scrubs.

I meant being in a show for over 7 years could trap him into the role he portrays, so probably he's searching this not to happen.

So the rest of what you've wrote is probably true, but they're only opinions related on how a star manages his fame and popularity. I think the opportunity being or not in Scrubs Season 8 deals with lots of things which we could never now exactly.

DrJ89

[15]Jul 8, 2008

ecks879 wrote:

Thank You!! I don't know why everyone wants them to keep draggin this show out.

MichaelWClark

[16]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 15
    DrJ89 wrote:

ecks879 wrote:

Thank You!! I don't know why everyone wants them to keep draggin this show out.

We don't, most of us wanted it to end at Season 6, or at the very most 7. The strike stopped those plans.

alexs2007

[17]Jul 9, 2008
    I'm not among them, I'd like Scrubs goin on, if the quality and writing is good.

piercejussi

[18]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 2

I'd like the show to continue.
    If Zack Braff leaves the show I'd still watch it. He's not the only character that makes the show great.

And to reply to the whole 'my princess' thing. I liked that episode. It was really funny and original.

I really wish for scrubs to make it to season 10 at least. Beat 'Friends' please!

Party_Mike

[19]Jul 17, 2008
    The show began with JD. It needs to end when he leaves.

kieran1988

[20]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 2
    when jd leaves scrubs it might as well finish because it wont be the same without him