Scrubs

My ABC's

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Jan 27, 2009 on NBC

"It's going to be a long year..." I cannot believe I ever doubted this season, it just took a couple episodes to put things in perspective. The interns have grown on me, all of them. Now I know why the writers wanted to focus more on the interns, they've never made the new interns three dimensional before. The interactions between the interns and the doctors are flawless. My favorite pair is Denise & JD, I love Denise so far, and I'm interested to see why she is the way she is. Even though Kelso doesn't do anything but eat muffins now, he's still a great supporting actor now. The homage to Sesame Street seemed a bit ridiculous at first, but when the ending came along, and it all came together, the Sesame Street homage was perfect. JD & Elliot have their secret relationship going on too. A lot of new arcs, very excited to see how they play out.
  • Everything that made me fall in love with scrubs in the first place. This episode is a brilliant example of why I love this show

Now it's been a long time since I've been driven to write a scrubs review, and honestly, that's because episodes in the last while have been unremarkable. Now that's not to put down scrubs, even a poor scrubs episode is still one of the best pieces of media on the old telly box today.

This episode, however, was wonderul. It captured the whole character of the show. The crazy quirky moments of JD's fantasies, the random hilarious lines from the janitor, the 'family-ness' of the main characters, and the tear-jerking patient plots.

What scrubs does brilliantly, is uses comedy, and simplicity, to really hammer home a sad moment. And it seems, whenever Joshua Radin's music is involved, they manage to really make you stop and go 'wow'.

I would easily say that this is the best show of the series so far, but it's more than that, it's into the top 10 episodes ever for me. It really reminded me of why I fell in love with this show.
  • Exactly why we should appreciate our inner child.

Honestly, I would have liked to have seen more of the muppets, like Bert and Ernie, but I wasn't disappointed. Much like a lot of other people I loved Elmo's appearance, even if he flirted a bit more than a 3-year-old monster should, haha!
    This ep was totally not what I expected; I thought it was going to be kinda goofy, like J.D. imagining that they were actually ON Sesame street (kinda like My Life in Four Cameras S4). But the Sesame Street muppets fitted really well with a more adult storyline; it was actually more thought-provoking than goofy and makes us realise that sometimes the simplest lessons in life are the most important.
  • The gang try to school the interns in the rough parts of working in a hospital, while J.D. imagines Muppets from Sesame Street along the way.

Infectious and fun, 'My ABCs' goes a bit kiddie but nothing wrong with that. Funny and smart and witty uses of the famous Henson puppets. A little obvious with the diagnosis of a hand inside one, but it's all in good fun. Zack Braff shows why he was nominated for an Emmy, and I could see this episode as being the entry for Best Actor, Comedy come July nominations. The new cast of interns is settling in well as zanny underlings similar to the oppressively nutty overlords J.D., Turk and Elliot dealt with during the earlier seasons, a flip-flop of sorts.
  • The docs choose their protégés

Scrubs has come a long way from a silly medical comedy to a more mature one in its 8th year. Certain trademark stuff such as JD's fantasies never ceases to tickle our funny bone.

This episode was a little disappointing as it dint live up to the hype created over the sesame street Muppet's theme. It was more centered around Ed being the annoying, laid back, yet talented intern. Denise still driving JD mad with her cold way of dealing with sensitive issues. Katie manipulates Eliot to secure a place in Turk's research team.

For most part this episode did provide some heartbreaking scenes. Nevertheless, the comedy element was restricted to a few scenes involving Ed. The one where Turk chooses him for the paper, because he thinks it was cool that Ed used three different colors to write his name was a good one. The bear claw scene was funny as well. What we are missing here is some good old Kelso-Cox rambles and JD-Janitor fights.

Overall,a fine display for a show in what might be its last season.
  • Sesame Street based episode.

This was a good episode of Scrubs although the whole Sesame Street thing did not do a lot for me. I never watched it as a kid and don't watch it nowadays either. Having said that there were lots of good moments like when JD sent the photo of Izzies first successful use of the potty to everyone's phones. Made me laugh anyway. Denise also had some nice lines and so did Katie. Maybe the interns will grow on me, after all. The Janitor was on top form too when he offered Dr Cox the plunger to take out Ed. Nice!
  • JD day dreams Sesame Street Muppets as he, Elliott and Dr. Cox each take an intern under their wing.

Usually when it comes to 8th seasons loyal fans are treated to the same old same old with a slow decline in episode quaility. But the move from NBC to ABC seems to have invigorated the show with these last few episodes better than what ay ep in season 6 or 7 could deliver.

This ep sees JD, Elliott and Cox paying close attention to one intern each in the hope to mould them but none of them get what is expected. JD takes on Denise, a textbook talented doctor but a complete lack of compassionfor her patients. JD takes her in the hope that he can teach her to open up more, but JD is only further hurt when a patient is dying but Denise couldn't care less. Meanwhile Elliott takes on a fellow annoying blonde who for the life of me I can't remember her name. She soon finds that she is playing Elliott to get what she wants.

Probably the best story arc of the ep is that of Dr.Cox and Ed. Cox hates Ed but for the life of him doesn't know why. He seeks help from the Janitor as well as Carla with no results only to realise that he hates Ed because he is lazy and just doesn't care. All the docs end up worse off this ep then when they began.

On a side note, after JD watches Sesame street with Turk and Izzy he begins to day dream with the Muppets in his head. This minor plot point leads to the moral of the whole episode. This plot device had the potential to be horrible but the writers did a good job to make it funny while at the same time not corny. All those who have seen a Muppet Christmas with the Scrubs Cameo will know what I mean.