Scrubs

My Absence

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Feb 10, 2009 on NBC

• No JD - no problem.

Scrubs is making a comeback this season with cases we care about, relationships being fleshed out, and clever comedy over the silly gags plaguing recent seasons.

In this episode, Elliot realises how far she's fallen for JD again - possibly in love - when he's away for a week. I'm glad they're handling this relationship with no drama for once, because it becomes a natural love we can care about rather than worry about for an inevitable break-up.

Carla's pregnant - again! While the announcement came with little fanfare, that itself became Turk's subplot. How we missed him in last week's two episodes. And it's good to see the writers aren't just going to make Ted's girlfriend a one-episode hit.

It's been a while since there was a Carla-centric plotline I cared about, since it's usually a pretty humourless one, but this time it was brightened by the annoyingly chirpy intern Sunny. Carla's reaction to Sunny's overmedication was priceless.

So sad to realise we're already halfway through the (possibly) final season, just as Scrubs has found its legs again. At least now it'll be a show worth sending off with a bang.