Scrubs

My Balancing Act

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Jan 15, 2002 on NBC

• JD starts dating Alex.

In continuation to JD meeting Alex, under the MRI machine. He asks her out before he sees her face. In this episode, her face is revealed. JD finds out she is hot, and is ecstatic. They start dating, but they face a problem early in their relationship. JD picks work over Alex multiple times, and it is revealed that it's because he wants to be like Cox. I like the Cox/JD interaction in this episode as usual. Alex breaks up with JD when he stands her up on her date. Meanwhile JD has to find out what's wrong with a patient, alone. The funniest situation: Turk & Carla have an intimacy issue. You'd expect that it's Turk not being able to get it up, but it turns out the problem is Carla: Not being able to have an orgasm. It's also revealed that Elliot has never had an orgasm. Carla tries to help her while facing her own problems. In the end, it turns out Carla couldn't have an orgasm because she was worried that Turk wasn't thinking about the future. Cox takes over Kelso's rounds for a day, and when Kelso returns: No one fears him anymore. All things are resolved by the end. Even Elliot has an orgasm... by herself. JD gets back together with Alex in the end. Cox gets Kelso to be scary again. Definitely a funny enjoyable episode.
  • My balancing act

Dr Cox does rounds in this episode. I found that pretty hilarious to see him dealing with the Interns. Turk and Carla had 'cute' moments in this one. I did not dislike Alex as much as i thought i would last episode. I actually liked her. But i already realized that they wouldn't last longer than a few episodes, so i decided to not really let her grow on me. Dr Cox's rants keep getting better and better. I'm really enjoying Elliot and Carla in this one, then 'hating' each other was really getting old. The Kelso not being scary anyone storyline was funny too.
  • J.D. Tries To Balance Work With His New Girlfriend, Everybody Else Learns How Not To Be Afraid Of Kelso.

J.D. And Alex Are Going Out, They Arrange Dates But J.D. Is So Busy That He Is Always Late For Them, Dr.Cox Teaches Everyone How Not To Be Scared Of Bob Kelso.
    This Episode Was Very Good, I Enjoyed How Cox Intimidates Kelso, That Was Brilliant! :)
    I Gotta Love J.D. And His Endless Struggle To Go On That Date With Alex Hanson!
    This Episode Is Cleverly Plotted, And I'm Glad J.D. Got His Date In The End.
    Alex Hanson Is A Social Worker At The Hospital.
    Turk & Carla Have Their First Sexual Complication, This Bit Made Me Laugh. I Love Scrubs, It Is Legendary :)
  • Fine example

Yet another very fine example of how funny and well done this TV show! I especially liked this episode because I think that JD is much better off with out Alex and I think that he is much better off with Elliot instead. They were meant to be from the start, and now they're finally together! I don't know how long it will last, though. Anyway, this was a good episode of this TV show. A funny example that I enjoyed watching. It was especially funny with Dr. Kelso, like when he called that doctor 'Chicken Beak' or something like that, referring to his nose. A fine example of this show that I enjoyed.
  • JD is having trouble with his dates with Alex and everyone learns how to not be so afraid of Dr. Kelso.

• This episode is really cool!

J.D had just asked out a girl in the M.R.I. machine and she turns out to be hot. They go out for their first and J.D. keeps staring at her and doesn't even touch his dinner. They rented their first movie together, kill a raccoon and take pictures together. Unfortunately their date ends with Dr. Cox paging him back to the hospital.

Dr. Cox has been ordered to do rounds. He refers to each intern by physical appearance. Elliott doesn't know the answer and say she's really really sorry. Dr. Cox is surprised that she says sorry and that she shouldn't. He also points out J.D.'s patient who's test have all come back negative. At home, Turk and Carla slow dance and notice they are much more in sync since they told each other of their love. However, there is a problem.

At the cafeteria, J.D. stares at Alex eating. He joins her, and says they can always have a date here if they get interrupted. Alex would like to have a date that actually ends, such as a kiss at the door or with breakfast. They make a date for tonight. J.D. reckons his mystery patient is suffering from Kuru but Dr. Cox rebuffs this diagnosis and says he has more likely a common illness with uncommon symptoms. Elliott wants Carla to open up to her about the sex problem. Turk wants to tell J.D. about the problem but J.D. finds the problem of his patient. Dr. Kelso takes over rounds again and Elliott makes a mistake. Instead of feeling sorry, she just says "win some, lose some". Dr. Kelso, it seems, has gone soft. Carla finally tells Elliott about her sex problem, and that she didn't have an orgasm and reckons it was the "I love you" they have started saying to each other. J.D. presents the new diagnosis to Dr. Cox and he's impressed and tells him his job here is done. J.D. insists of staying around, but forgets about his date with Alex.

J.D. arrives 80 minutes late, Alex has left already. Dr. Kelso hands rounds to Dr. Cox altogether. J.D. tries to explain that he's really sorry for last night, but she dumps him. Dr. Cox noticed him checking his watch last night and that he was really stupid for blowing off the girl to stay at work with him, and that he shouldn't try to become like him. Elliott reckons Carla's problem is a fear of intimitacy and that herself has sabotaged a lot of relationships by not talking things out. Dr. Kelso wants Ted to sort out his traffic violations at court. He refuses, as Dr. Kelso is still weak. Ted tells Dr. Cox that he took away the fear towards Dr. Kelso when he was talking to the residents the other day.

J.D. finds Alex at a restaurant, with a date, and tells her that he would do anything in the world if she would give him a second chance, but she declines. Carla comes home and wants to talk things over with Turk. Ever since saying "I love you" she wonders about the future way too much: kids, house, her mother, funeral costs. Turk doesn't think about these things but that's what makes the great together.

At rounds, Dr. Kelso comes along as he was paged by Dr. Cox. Dr. Cox denies ever paging him and while Bob is still around, totally turns around the way rounds work. Dr. Kelso doesn't think it's appropriate to do the rounds his way and Dr. Kelso finally snaps. Seeing that, everyone gets their fear back for him.

While watching out for a sleeping patient, J.D. gets paged to "Turn Around" and Alex stands there with a picnic basket. They kiss and have a romantic dinner on the floor.
  • Dr Cox does rounds

This episode is brilliant, especially Dr Cox provoking Dr Kelso purely to get back at him for putting him on rounds by telling the interns that he'll just give them the answers and the Janitor torment that JD stares at him while he eats.

JD choosing work over Alex was a good storyline which also brings back the Janitor prank ("Well, there's a waste of a gift certificate") but, for some reason, it all works out in the end.

The early Scrubs days are known for its twists (for example My Old Lady and My Occurence) and the Turk-Carla plot has a hilarious twist that you don't see coming. This plot was great too and overall, the episode is a hilarious installment.