Scrubs

My Bed Banter & Beyond

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Feb 05, 2002 on NBC

• Definitely one of my favorites.

This episode was so original, this show is so original in general. I love how this episode jumps around to different days and the psychiatric reviews. This episode was in continuation to the last fantastic episode. Elliot & JD have had sex, and basically one of the timeliness is them having sex all day. And their relationship seems perfect, but then it jumps around to the next day where everything goes to crap. When it turns out to be so hard to handle a relationship, it just wasn't working out. They argued over the most stupidest things, it annoyed me at one point. At least this episode gives closure to their relationship, at least for now. From this episode, we take that there not good together, which was the point of this episode to show us that. The psychiatric reviews were pretty funny and a light break from all the Elliot/JD. Turk/Carla seem to be coming along nicely. Kelso continues to be a jerk. Cox opens up completely to the psychiatrist. And I think I liked his tapes the best. He told it like it is, and that's what I love about Cox. It was still sad to see Elliot & JD breaking up in the end, and they both tell the psychiatrist that their not in a relationship by the end. That last scene broke my heart. They were so sure it was going to work out, and it just didn't. An amazing unpredictable original episode.
  • Elliot and JD spend their whole day in bed, and then the next day go through a years worth of relationship roller coasters in one day at work, eventually ending things.

Oddly enough, my girlfriend and I just watched this episode together and she loved it, having never seen Scrubs before, and I think this was the perfect episode to show her. The writing in this one was classic, from the way the characters revealed their inner emotions, to something as simple as the camera work on the pizza box to reveal the time JD and Elliot have in this somewhat dream like reality of repeated sex. The awkwardness revealed in their next day of work is a perfect replica of average relationships and how they encounter problems, and sometimes don't overcome them. Another reason Trilling is a genius.
  • After going to bed and spending an entire day having sex, J.D. and Elliot go to work trying to hide their new secret romance, but everybody already knows it.

Here they tried something new and it actually worked very well. Especially compared to later 'special' episodes like the musical and the fairy tale one. I like how we find out more personal things about the characters when they talk to the physicatrist (sp?). It was a little bit confusing at times, when it switched between past and presence. I had to watch it twice until i actually got it. As a Jelliot shipper, it kinda dissapointed me that they didn't get a real chance to be together. But kinda bothered me, is that every time there was a sweet 'Jelliot' moment, it switched to somebody talking to the physicatrist. Even thought i generally enjoyed these scenes. But all in all it had a few flaws but was still a suberb episode!
  • J.D. and Elliot embark on their first romantic relationship. But, as many people know, no relationship is perfect and they soon discover just how feelings for another person can destroy a relationship.

This is my favorite episode of Scrubs. However, it's not very funny and does not deal with medicine, but rather emotions and REAL life. If that's not what you want, then watch a different episode. But for people who do, this is the perfect episode. Through testimonials and monologues, the Scrubs writers show truthfully the fragility, ups and downs of relationships. Elliot and J.D. seem to have very strong feelings for each other, which eventually leads them to the beginning of their relationship. But, unfortunately for them and as demonstrated by the psychiatrist interviews, relationships aren't perfect and cannot be based just on romantic feelings. This is very well illustrated by Turk and Carla's separate testimonials, which show that although their relationship has problems, it works out because they really do love each other. Dr. Cox's testimony is my favorite part of the episode because it shows that just because someone is rock hard on the outside doesn't mean they must be on the inside. And he doesn't get over-emotional either. He plainly states, "Bottom line, those couples that are truly right for each other wade through the same crap as everybody else but the big difference is they don't let it take them down." It was a tear jerker, though, because I personally wanted to see Elliot and J.D. end up together. Wonderful acting, music use, plot, and beyond, you will not be sorry after watching this classic episode.
  • SPOILERS AHEAD. In this episode, we see two of our favorite characters trying out the relationship they seem to be meant for. But as always, there's trouble in paradise, and the whys are seen through the staff's individual interviews with a psychiatrist.

I think this is one of the best episodes of the season, if not of the series. Although it includes the typical happy-in-love escapist bedroom scenes and shots of J.D. and Elliot being a couple, such standard TV-love fare is balanced by Dr. Cox's excellent monologue on how delicate and torrential relationships are, intercut with the fall of J.D. and Elliot's relationships. It's tragic and tugs the heartstrings in the show's typical introspective manner. I teared up at the end of the episode when I first saw it, and I don't recall any show like "Dawson's Creek" ever making me do it.
  • A hospital psychiatrist inteviews the staff.

One of the more erious episodes in the series. It explores the relationships of the various cast members. The relationship between JD and Elliot is shown in this episode that takes place within the bedroom and a matter of two weeks. This episode is my favorite for th season because it showed how real relationships are disfunctional and how often we tend to base everything on our own impressions of a perfect relationship. It alsoshowed Turk and Carla's relationship and on how it is not perfect and how it works inspite of it not being perfect. It also shows Dr. Cox as somewhat of an expert in relationships.
  • Fine example

So after dancing around eachother for awhile Jd and Elliot finally sleep together. And may I say it's about time, although things don't go quite so smoothly. At first things are good and actually go pretty well, if you know what I mean, and even after the initial fun wears off things still manage to stay okay. But after the first day things begin a slow downward spiral that eventually pits Jd and Elliot in constant fighting. Turns out it might have been better if they hadn't, and even Jd and Elliot know it. You feel really bad for both of them in this episode because I really think that we were all so sure that it would work out between them.
  • JD and Elliot spend all day having sex, and the next day at work they try to hide their relationship but everyone already knows about it.

I liked this episode a lot. I think that JD was much better off with Elliot than with Alex, even though he was only with Alex for two episodes, not even, but I wish that at the end they ahd stayed together! It was kind of obvious, though, that something like that was going to happen, so it wasn't that surprising. The pizza they were eating when they were having sex, though, looked really gross. A pretty good episode, kind of predictable, though, but I enjoyed it. I didn't like the end when they were both like, "Am I in a relationship? No." Mostly just because I really wanted them to stay together! A pretty good episode that I enjoyed watching. It had that typical Scrubs humor to it.
  • Will they, won't they, they did!

• My Favorite Episode

This is undoubtedly my favorite "Scrubs" episode of all time. The interview sequences give us great insights into each character, and the disaster that is J.D. and Elliot's relationship plays out very powerfully onscreen. I always liked how show creator Bill Lawrence refused to conform to sitcom norms by having the male and female lead end up together or worse, have a "will they/won't they" relationship. Dr. Cox's monologue at the end captures this perfectly:

"Relationships don't work the way they do on television or in the movies. Will they, won't they, then they finally do and they live happily ever after, give me a break. Nine out of ten of 'em end because they weren't right for each other to begin with and half the ones that get married get divorced anyway. And through all of this, I have not become a cynic, I have not. Yes, I do happen to believe that love is primarily about pushing chocolate covered candies and, in some cultures, a chicken. Bottom line, the couples who are truly right for each other wade through the same crap as everybody else but the big difference is they don't let it take 'em down. One of those two people will stand up and fight for that relationship. If it's right and they're real lucky, one of 'em will say something."

The sort of relationship that he describes near the end is that of Turk and Carla, the relationship by which all others on the show are measured. They truly complete each other, and as supporting character relationships go, their's is one of the best in television history, and the best on television today. I love how this episode gives us insight into all of the major characters through psychological interviews. Dr. Cox's deep side is truly brought out in this one, as he gets the most screen time in terms of his interview. Dr. Kelso's interviews are truly hilarious, and his obliviousness to his wife's pain had me rolling on the floor in laughter, despite how wrong it was. Turk's competetive edge is explored in other episodes, but this is the first time we get a true picture of why he chose to be a doctor. Carla's motivation for becoming a nurse is similarly revealing.

The part of this episode that I found the most revealing, other than Cox's on-the-money monologues, were the interviews at the end with J.D. and Elliot. J.D. speaks the undeniable truth when he says, "Things that wouldn't have mattered a week ago in a friendship become that much more important when sex is involved. I think it would be easier if you weren't friends with your girlfriend. At all." Anyone who has been in J.D.'s situation can tell you that this is true.

Elliot's interview is similarly powerful: "I was so sure of everything in my life. I was sure I was going to be a doctor. I was sure I was going to be married by the time I was 25. But relationships. . . I always heard that when they were right, that they were easy. That even when things got hard, that they were easy. I totally don't get that at all. I mean, how is that possible?" The answer is, quite simply, that it's not, as revealed by Dr. Cox's earlier monologue.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. My only complaint is that syndication has made it impossible to watch in its entirety due to its 27 minute running-length. This episode has only once aired in its full, which was the night it premeired. This is why I restrict myself to the DVD. Check it out; you won't regret it.
  • The story of JD and Elliot's first relationship. My all time favourite Scrubs episode.

This is my favourite episode of Scrubs and less face it, after 5 seasons competition for that title is very stiff. That's why I think this ep is so amazing, because even some of my other favourites (My Overkill, My Lunch and so on) haven't knocked it down.

In the previous episode, My Drug Buddy, Elliot and JD hooked up in his bedroom. This episode begins with them dealing with the aftermath of that and both of them feeling extremely awkward. But when they get their feelings in the open, they agree to spend all day in bed together having sex, talking and eating pizza. The next day they go to the hospital and are informed that all staff at the hospital are to speak to a psychiatrist as part of a research study. JD and Elliot begin to deal with the issues of being a couple in public.

The unique thing about this episode is that the ep constantly cuts between the three premises, adding special meaning. The next two weeks of JD and Elliot's relationship are portrayed as they begin to run into trouble as a couple. That is intercut with POV shots of the psychiatrists interviews of Cox, Carla, Turk, Kelso, JD and Elliot discussing relationships and other issues. And it sometimes cuts to the first day in bed, using the pizza as a clock, showing JD and Elliot's early impressions of the relationship. But the episode ends with JD and Elliot breaking up, then a scene of the end of their first day when they were happy together. JD and Elliot's failed relationship is also contrasted with the strength of Turk and Carla's, showing the differences between the two couples.

The episode also contains some hillarious moments, like when Elliot attempts to catch a football and plummets off a counter with a comic scream.

Overall, it is a brilliant episode and one of the all-time classics.
  • JD and Elliot just aren't made for each other.

7.9
    JD and Elliot are much better with different partners and this episode proves it!

This is a clever episode becuase you have JD and Elliot spending the day together and enjoying each others presence, while at the same time we skip into the future to see how their relationship fell apart.

What annoys me is that the writers in the future constantly persist with the idea that they make a great couple when really they don't. They are much happier when they are with different people and they make much better friends than lovers.

Its the second sad ending in a row. Watching at this point I was genuinely dissapointed because I wanted them to stay together, but looking back on it now I think it was the correct ending.
  • Okay, so Elliot and JD break up, it doesn't mean the episode isn't funny.

This episode is a great follow up from My Drug Buddy, especially the start where JD has to think of the perfect words after sleeping with his best friend and comes up with "Good job last night buddy". I think the writers did remember about the Jordan-JD "relationship" at the start of the season but decided to leave the "I've been stuck on four since Med school" gag in because it is a hilarious scene.

The rest of the episode was great too, especially the pizza being used as a clock and Dr Cox in therapy.

The whole episode is very entertaining and is a good idea for the show to just have the three episode relationship: hook up-relationship-after breakup. This episode is both funny and sad at the end where neither stands up and it is revealed that they both thought it would last. Switching back and forth to the first day is a very good idea and makes this episode a great one.
  • An episode which seemed to bring a refreshing spin to an old storyline. Unfortunately it did not work out that way in the end.

5.1
    When I first saw this episode I thought it was great. Then as the show went on my enthusiasm became somewhat less then what it had originally been. See what I liked about this episode was that they had the guts to take us through JD and Elliot\'s entire relationship in one episode. Far too many shows have that couple who are friends but have the chemistry, which the fans will be rooting for as a couple, and when they finally get together it drags on but rarely lasts in the end. Then break-up follows, then they get back together at least once per season, but they always break up to save that great storyline for the final episode. Ross and Rachel would be the grand example of this. I really appreciated that Scrubs had the guts to let them get together and break up during just one episode. I thought we would be done with the couple by then, and I was relieved. Frankly this storyline is old and tired and anything but exciting anymore.
    As the show continued however it turned out we were in fact not done with the JD&Elliot storyline. Which was to me a let-down. I guess they didn\'t have the guts I thought they had after all.
    Though the episode is still well written. Longer than most episodes as well, which I kind of like, because everything in it is well written and it doesn\'t drag on.
    Oh, and do keep a lookout for the pizza JD and Elliot eat in bed. The slices form a clock, a clock telling us that time is running out for the two of time. Nice hint to the audience!