My Bed Banter & Beyond

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Feb 05, 2002 on NBC

• The story of JD and Elliot's first relationship. My all time favourite Scrubs episode.

This is my favourite episode of Scrubs and less face it, after 5 seasons competition for that title is very stiff. That's why I think this ep is so amazing, because even some of my other favourites (My Overkill, My Lunch and so on) haven't knocked it down.

In the previous episode, My Drug Buddy, Elliot and JD hooked up in his bedroom. This episode begins with them dealing with the aftermath of that and both of them feeling extremely awkward. But when they get their feelings in the open, they agree to spend all day in bed together having sex, talking and eating pizza. The next day they go to the hospital and are informed that all staff at the hospital are to speak to a psychiatrist as part of a research study. JD and Elliot begin to deal with the issues of being a couple in public.

The unique thing about this episode is that the ep constantly cuts between the three premises, adding special meaning. The next two weeks of JD and Elliot's relationship are portrayed as they begin to run into trouble as a couple. That is intercut with POV shots of the psychiatrists interviews of Cox, Carla, Turk, Kelso, JD and Elliot discussing relationships and other issues. And it sometimes cuts to the first day in bed, using the pizza as a clock, showing JD and Elliot's early impressions of the relationship. But the episode ends with JD and Elliot breaking up, then a scene of the end of their first day when they were happy together. JD and Elliot's failed relationship is also contrasted with the strength of Turk and Carla's, showing the differences between the two couples.

The episode also contains some hillarious moments, like when Elliot attempts to catch a football and plummets off a counter with a comic scream.

Overall, it is a brilliant episode and one of the all-time classics.