Scrubs

My Bed Banter & Beyond

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Feb 05, 2002 on NBC

• My Favorite Episode

This is undoubtedly my favorite "Scrubs" episode of all time. The interview sequences give us great insights into each character, and the disaster that is J.D. and Elliot's relationship plays out very powerfully onscreen. I always liked how show creator Bill Lawrence refused to conform to sitcom norms by having the male and female lead end up together or worse, have a "will they/won't they" relationship. Dr. Cox's monologue at the end captures this perfectly:

"Relationships don't work the way they do on television or in the movies. Will they, won't they, then they finally do and they live happily ever after, give me a break. Nine out of ten of 'em end because they weren't right for each other to begin with and half the ones that get married get divorced anyway. And through all of this, I have not become a cynic, I have not. Yes, I do happen to believe that love is primarily about pushing chocolate covered candies and, in some cultures, a chicken. Bottom line, the couples who are truly right for each other wade through the same crap as everybody else but the big difference is they don't let it take 'em down. One of those two people will stand up and fight for that relationship. If it's right and they're real lucky, one of 'em will say something."

The sort of relationship that he describes near the end is that of Turk and Carla, the relationship by which all others on the show are measured. They truly complete each other, and as supporting character relationships go, their's is one of the best in television history, and the best on television today. I love how this episode gives us insight into all of the major characters through psychological interviews. Dr. Cox's deep side is truly brought out in this one, as he gets the most screen time in terms of his interview. Dr. Kelso's interviews are truly hilarious, and his obliviousness to his wife's pain had me rolling on the floor in laughter, despite how wrong it was. Turk's competetive edge is explored in other episodes, but this is the first time we get a true picture of why he chose to be a doctor. Carla's motivation for becoming a nurse is similarly revealing.

The part of this episode that I found the most revealing, other than Cox's on-the-money monologues, were the interviews at the end with J.D. and Elliot. J.D. speaks the undeniable truth when he says, "Things that wouldn't have mattered a week ago in a friendship become that much more important when sex is involved. I think it would be easier if you weren't friends with your girlfriend. At all." Anyone who has been in J.D.'s situation can tell you that this is true.

Elliot's interview is similarly powerful: "I was so sure of everything in my life. I was sure I was going to be a doctor. I was sure I was going to be married by the time I was 25. But relationships. . . I always heard that when they were right, that they were easy. That even when things got hard, that they were easy. I totally don't get that at all. I mean, how is that possible?" The answer is, quite simply, that it's not, as revealed by Dr. Cox's earlier monologue.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. My only complaint is that syndication has made it impossible to watch in its entirety due to its 27 minute running-length. This episode has only once aired in its full, which was the night it premeired. This is why I restrict myself to the DVD. Check it out; you won't regret it.