Scrubs

My Butterfly

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Mar 16, 2004 on NBC

• ok

i dont see whats so great about this ep i mean its like time travel thts was pretty cool really it good this is what happens:A butterfly landing on a woman's chest sets off a chain of events. This results in Elliot not finding a girl's lost stuffed animal, Carla forgetting Turk's lucky do-rag, and a patient's aortic dissection not being discovered until the last minute. After the patient's death, J.D. thinks about how things may have turned out if the butterfly had landed on a nearby man instead of the woman. In this parallel situation, things seem to be better, as the do-rag and the stuffed animal are found. Also, Dr. Cox and J.D. catch the aortic dissection early. However, the patient still dies in surgery.
  • The butterfly effect.

A surprisingly awesome episode, at first I thought this was going to be your ol' ordinary episode, where nothing special occurs, this episode was quite the opposite. With one flap of the butterflies wings everything can change. I like how "the butterfly effect" was analyzed in this episode. I really enjoyed the concept, and how things would have gone differently, because I'm sure that's what many people ask themselves. What would have happened if things had gone down differently? Us humans would never know, so it's always interesting to see a bit of an alternate universe in a show like this. All the characters were great in this episode since they all had their own plot. Elliot needed to fulfill a young girls promise to have her pink stuffed dog. In one universe, she gets the stuffed dog, in another universe, Elliot can't find the stuffed dog. I like how in both universes, the same outcome happens in JD's plot. No matter how good things go, it doesn't mean the final outcome will be good. Turk gets his lucky dew rag when he's about to operate on JD's patient, but it still didn't go through. I love Turk/Carla's relationship, no matter what universe they're in, they always have to fight about something. I also liked the emotional ending between JD & Cox. All plots were great, and it was an amazing concept, with emotional results which is always great in this show. Amazing episode.
  • One of the most underrated episodes of Scrubs. This one isn't just absolutely hilarious, but it is dramatic and very special.

This episode is one of the best made on the whole show, if you paid attention to every little detail you would know. I would just love this episode so much because of the comedy on it, but that's not fair for what it was. A big favorite of mine. The episode deserves special mention, it was so well written and detailed, everything just worked perfectly. "Insignificant events could lead to significant events"
    My Butterfly is just amazingly funny. It just starts off and there is a personal favorite funny moment of mine: JD recommending Turk to use Power Rangers do-rag saying "Remember when communications with Zordon went down and the MegaZord was destroyed?", just the way he says it just cracks me up, then Turk tells him off "How could I miss that episode? That's right... I was making love to a woman!" Fantastic. Then when Turk and JD are talking about taking off his pants, the Todd pass by with his usually funny stuff. Right after, JD daydreams of what could go wrong during Turk's surgery: Turk is doing surgery, suddenly, Randall pops up from the patient's stomach and hits Turk in the balls! JD: "Powerful tiny fists! ...he's back!". I don't know about you, but that's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV. More funny stuff I love: JD playing the banjo and Kelso dancing, again in the alternate reality; Cox with the banjo and Kelso with the washboard, "This is your show, Debbie. Isn't it the moment like you always pictured?", in stupid made-house dolls too: "is a little bigger", JD impersonating Dr. Cox, and the attempt of it in alternate reality, world's longest handshake, JD's picture on the janitor's wall, "if you show me your penis I'm going to take it away from you!", Turk confronting Kelso, etc. It was pure genius comedy.

So the first half of the episode is about the butterfly posing on the hot girl's boobs, and the events following taking place in a bad way. All things happening seem dissapointing for the characters. The episode rewinds when JD wonders "What if?" In the second half, the butterfly poses in the fat guy's chest, but the events this time takes place in the best case scenario, a cheering up music plays during a scene that could make you think now everything worked fine. Except at the end, still the patient dies. Leaves JD thinking again "what if?"
  • In this episode, J.D. explores how a very minor event can affect many outcomes.

In this episode, JD explores how a very minor event can affect many outcomes. Turk is looking for his lucky Tabasco do-rag, Elliot is helping a little girl find her stuffed dog in time for her bone-marrow transplant. At the reception, a butterfly lands on a pretty woman's chest. JD bumps into Laverne, who drops a tray of drinks. Elliot wants Janitor to help find the stuffed dog, but he's too busy cleaning up the mess. A series of events follows, and almost everything ends in tragedy, with Turk's patient Mr. Strauss dying, JD not recognizing the same patient's ischemic bowel, and Elliot not being able to find the pink dog. At this point, JD thinks back, and what-ifs about the butterfly. In the following series of events, almost everything ends happily, but in a surprise twist Mr. Strauss dies anyways. This is one of my all-time favorite Scrubs episodes, because it incorporates serious philosophy with wry humor. My Butterfly shows viewers how a seemingly insignificant event can affect many, many, things. Even if every eventuality was found, luck and fate still have their way. This fact was demonstrated when Mr. Strauss died.

All in all, My Butterfly is fantastic, and gave me a lot to think about.
  • Episode revolves around two alternate storylines, sharing the common influences of a butterfly's landing on cleavage

Once in a while Scrubs tries something new. Some of these Episodes are AMAZING (like His Story) and some are really bad (like My Princess). This one was really good. It doesn't beat His Story but it is still a very great episode. Yet it is not one of these you remember forever, which is why i didn't give it a 10. I didn't like that Dr Miller was practically gone, they can't just throw a character in and then make them dissapear in the next episode. I don't know any other sitcom who had complex stories like this!! Go Scrubs!!!!
  • a complete paradox.

Very genuine... This episode shows a perfect example of a paradox and it also provides viewers with a moral lesson; which is how the slightest decision that is made, can cause the whole world to tweak its direction. However, faith is something that the human knowledge has yet to fully understand; which is why it cannot by altered.

Not a lot of people actually care about the small details about the world, instead, they prioritize things that seem to be more "important" to them. They have neglected the fact that even small things can, truly, make a huge difference in life.
  • a very insightful episode, very true

This episode shows us how one thing can change your life, ultimately changing the world. I believe this to be very true and find that any action just like a butterfly landing on a different person can change everything.

I like the way the episode was split into the two different realities but i was confused about whether the second one was just another long crazy day dream by J.D, as that would be the only explanation for us seeing it.

I like the theme explored in this episode and the way scrubs can always mix comedy, drama and sometimes mystery all in the one show.
  • It's one of those episodes with a gimmick, and this gimmick works very well. (spoilers)

I happen to love this kind of time-warping episode when they're done well, and Scrubs seems to have no problem. Though some of the dialogue seemed unpolished, there were also some classic jokes, and the overall structure of the episode was what ultimately mattered.

By showing us two different ways the story could play out, this episode illustrates how a simple action can make a major difference--but not necessarily in the way you might expect. This theme is presented with humor (my favorite example is when Carla gets mad at Turk whether or not he stands up for her) as well as the typical Scrubs drama. This time, the moral is that some events are inevitable--but at least in the second scenario, the random inciting event allowed for a little more kindness in the hospital. (Just imagine if the two scenarios were reversed chronologically.)

Because two alternate realities were presented, with no reason to think one was more likely than the other, this episode is more of a parable than most Scrubs episodes. In this way, "My Butterfly" is exemplary of the series, which uses likable but flawed characters to illustrate important points every week.
  • I love this one. It's different from the other episodes' set-up.

My 2 favorite things from this episode are, 1. That even though one thing changed everything that happened, JD's patient still died in the end. That may sound horrible, but it makes you think that even if one thing changes alot some things are still meant to happen. The second thing I love is what JD says at the end of the first part of the episode. "Me, I don't believe in fate. I believe we have more control than we think and that every action has a reaction." I completly agree with JD. I found it interesting also that no matter what Turk did, even if it was the opposite of what he did in the first part, it made Carla angry. Overall this episode was set-up very well and makes you think more than alot of the other episodes.
  • A cool episode!

A cool episode, it talks mainly about the butterfly effect, in the first half of the episode, JD sees a butterfly and that causes things to go on wrong since that point. Cox gets late with JD and so JD and Cox swtich places, and that causes a patient to die when JD manages to detect a really bad illness. Meanwhile, Turk needs his lucky rag and because of Carla's distraction, he loses his trust and fails in the surgery. And as Janitor does not helps Elliot, she does not manages to find a puffy dog for a patient and she ends up dissapointed, and in the make up again, this time Carla manages to get Turk's rag and Elliot manages to find the puffy dog, but still... JD's patient dies. Ending up with the question: "What if things have been different?....."
  • The butterfly-effect

4.9
    This episode explores the concept of ‘what if’. A chain of seemingly irreversible events leads to the death of one of JD’s patients and the disappointment of a cancer patient. What if Turk and JD weren’t looking at a female patient’s chest and were, instead, looking at the guy’s beside her? Would Carla end up finding Turk’s lost good luck charm? Would Dr. Cox lead JD in the right direction? Would Elliot find the cancer patient’s lost stuffed animal? And, most of all, would JD’s patient live?

The first half of the episode is seemingly the worst case scenario. The day begins pretty ordinarily. Elliot puts her foot in her mouth earlier than usual when she tells a young girl that she will get her stuffed animal for her. Turk finds out that he lost his lucky charm. Everyone is dwelling in their own challenges but then everything changes; a butterfly lands on the chest of an underdressed woman and sets off an unusual chain of events. Turk offends Carla, JD tries to run off and spills some drinks, the Janitor is stuck cleaning up JD’s mess, Dr. Cox is late and JD is put in charge, and no one seems to want to help Elliot find the little girl’s stuffed animal. With everyone’s personal problems still evident, JD’s patient takes a turn for the worst. JD makes the call, Turk is set to operate, and still no one found Elliot’s patience’s stuffed animal. After a disappointing run, JD’s patient dies and JD is left to sit and wonders how it would have turned out if things just went a little differently.

Time rewinds to the first event that seemed to cause this all: that darn butterfly. What if it landed on the chest of the man next to the underdressed woman? Carla would not be offended by Turk, JD would not have ruined Janitor’s morning, and Dr. Cox would remain in full control. Would JD’s patient still live? Would Elliot find the stuffed animal? Or would fate be in control? After quick thinking by JD, his patient seems to get an ideal opportunity: an early CT scan and a better odds surgery. Turk is optimistic after getting back his good luck charm, and take’s JD’s patient in for surgery. Things are looking promising until JD’s patient still manages to die. Although Elliot gets her patient her stuffed animal, JD still looses his patient.

Although the first series of events seems disappointing, the second set is not as promising either. It does, however, give the message that you cannot dwell on ‘what if’. If the second scenario ended with all the events in perfect order, one would feel like something was missing because life does not work that way. I found this episode to be a reasonable commentary about life.
  • A parallel universe is present as the SCRUBS gang is presented with a proverbial "What if?"

"A butterfly, flapping its wings in Hong Kong, may change tornado patterns in Texas." -chaos theory

After seeing the movie "The Butterfly Effect" I've nearly been obsessed with the chaos theory and the fact that the smallest things that can happen.

This episode is important to me for it helps me take care of the little insignificant things that happen in my life. I am more convinced that life is what you make of it and it also makes me accept that "Something is out of your hands Still you have to look back and wonder, 'What if things were different?'"
  • A butterfly can change everything...

This episode has such an original and entertaining plot and format, two different versions of what could happen depending on the butterfly’s landing.

The comparisons between the two versions have some hilarious differences such as JD missing the pen and declaring he was a leftie/rightie and Carla’s reaction, getting mad at Turk for standing up for her as if she couldn’t do it herself and then getting mad that Turk didn’t stand up for her.

One of the funniest scenes in this episode is where JD is mimicking Cox’s frequent rants and the world’s longest handshake was great too.

With a very creative plot and side-splitting jokes throughout aswell as the moral at the end that no matter what happens, the end result can still be the same, with JD rewondering what could have happened, a never ending story that is pure entertainment.