Scrubs

My Finale

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM May 06, 2009 on NBC

• A well-done, fitting finale

I must be honest: I was ready for Scrubs to end. Season 7, with the set up between Elliot, JD, and Keith felt like it was positioning itself on a good note to end on, and in any case, it is always best for a series to end before it becomes stale instead of limping on like a crippled dog. (Simpsons, you are on notice.) But NBC's treatment of the Scrubs finale was downright criminal. Writer's strike notwithstanding, at the very least, they could have bothered to hold onto the Kelso episodes and air them last. The retiring of Dr. Kelso may be a bit anti-climactic, but at least it's a change; the 'fairy tale' episode was weak by even weekly standards and provided no closure whatsoever.

I was a bit wary when ABC said they would be picking the show up, but optimistic when they decided it would just be for one last season. As somebody who has grown up with this show; who used it to survive high school the way most teenagers latch onto music, who almost felt a piece of the ensemble at Sacred Heart, the previous 'finale' was a slap in the face.

And what was helpful, as well, was that knowing this would be the last season, the writers did not leave every loose end to be wrapped up in the finale. For instance: Instead of having there be a major relationship crisis between he and Elliot, we begin and end the episode where it is strong in their own quirky way. No focus is needed on Carla and Turk's marriage, aside from a brilliant quip about Carla's insecurity over who her husband loves more. I could go on, but there's hardly any need to.

The Dr. Cox rant about JD is gratifying, but I felt it lost something with JD pulling a stunt to make sure he heard it. That, I feel, was a moment that needed to be tender, much like the end fantasy, and I would've preferred they not opt to make it a bit. But, then again, had they not, it might not feel as true to the Cox/JD relationship. Hrmm.

Oh, and my favorite part was the inclusion of Mrs. Tanner at the very end. "My Old Lady" was the very first episode of Scrubs I'd ever seen, and for me still the very best, making the scene feel richer than it probably did for those who started with the Pilot or in later seasons.

Overall, a 9 out of 10. Sure, it may not achieve the M*A*S*H finale status(Come on, that's never going to happen again) but by its own merit it is touching, witty, and supremely satisfying.