Scrubs

My First Step

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Nov 07, 2002 on NBC

• Heather Locklear guest stars.

Wow, this episode really impressed me. As I was watching this season, I honestly thought this show was losing it's touch, but this episode proved me wrong. It wasn't because of Heather's appearance as Julie. It's that everyone's plots were pretty amazing to sum it up. They managed to recycle a plot, usually that's not a good thing to do, but they pulled it off in this case. Carla doubts her jobs as a nurse which has been done last season, but this time Turk is the one that offends her. I am astonished at the abuse Carla takes from Kelso, just because she's a nurse. She considers going to Practitioner school in the end, but she reveals she is sacrificing her job opportunities for Turk, we get to see some friendly Cox/Carla scenes which is always good. Everyone is falling for the pharmaceutical worker, Julie. Cox even gets put under her spell, even if he hates her. Julie likes him too, he rejects her but by the end, you can tell he's willing to "take a chance" with her. Which gets me excited for Julie's next appearance. I also liked the JD/Elliot plot, it made me nostalgic on the season 1 days. JD always manages to say the wrong things when Elliot needs to take a chance by sending a patient to surgery or waiting and seeing. JD implies he is a better doctor than Elliot. Elliot sends her patient to surgery, and she ends up dying on the operating table. Kelso reveals that Elliot made the best choice. Which resolves the conflict between Elliot & JD, but JD wants to learn to take a chance, so Elliot takes JD to a cliff to sky dive. That was such a perfect scene, and it made us get the gist of the whole episode: Taking a chance. A great episode, with a great message. Great plots from all the characters.