Scrubs

My Full Moon

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Apr 01, 2009 on NBC

• Worst episode of "Scrubs" since "My Tormented Mentor" in Season 3.

Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE! An entire "Scrubs" episode without Zach Braff! The new interns are boring, vapid, and utterly unremarkable; it's impossible to care about a single one of them. Donald Faison and Sarah Chalke do their best, but even they can't save the inept writing and dead weight of the new cast. The entire show is beginning to resemble something that even the old WB or UPN networks would thumb their noses at.

Where are these high episode ratings coming from? Let's face it: "Scrubs" has been struggling anyway since the beginning of Season 6, but without J.D., the show is dead man walking. Yes, I know that Zach Braff is a typical greedy actor who can't possibly support his family on a paltry few million an episode...but why oh WHY did ABC even bother to pick up the show if they weren't going to make every effort to keep the original cast? Limited Dr. Kelso and Carla appearances, Dr. Cox a shell of his former self, and now an entire episode without J.D's narration and fantasies. This is a sad ending to one of television's greatest comedies in the past twenty-five years.
  • Turk, Eliott, The Todd, and the Interns...oh my!

There is quite a split among Scrubs fans over whether this season is glorious or disastrous. I'm happy to find myself on the "glorious" side.

Scrubs this season has emphasized a slower, more thoughtful pace, different character relationships, and the interns. Bill Lawrence and his crew have turned budget restraints from a negative to a positive by focusing on the relationships of certain characters when other characters are gone, and focusing on them in new ways. Looking at old characters in new ways has paid dividends for viewers.

My Full Moon adds thoughtful insights into the relationship of Turk and Elliot, seamlessly conveying previously hidden nuances about each character through their actions in various hospital situations and through their conversations.

On the "new" front - I think the interns are funny and fascinating and showed their extraordinary potential in this episode. Seeing each of them deal with an unusual patient problem, from imposter syndrome to repressed flatulence, led to markedly different types of laugh out loud hilarity.
  • Turk and J.D relationship was strained, when Turk finds out that J.D has gone to Disneyland without him.

The episode was good, briliant even. Even with J.D, Dr. Cox, Janitor, Dr Kelso and Carla the rest filled for certain. And Turk's reaction after finding out that J.D has gone to disneyland without was so damn fricking funny, that i had to watch that a bit several times before carrying on with the episode.

But the main focus of the episode was the interns, and how hard the show is trying to put the interns as likeable as the rest of the cast. They're not bad Dr. Mahoney is okay, Sonny is just as good and that small blonde has been a bit quiet of late. But the two male interns are doing it for me, the novalty of of the weird one is wearing off and wearng off fast. And the black intern is 2-D and plain, you can only have one Christopher Turk.

I believe that Elliot is starting to begin a long sotry line whichs sees her leaving Sacred Heart at the end of the series (possible the show).

But overall, the episode was good and once again that Disneyland joke, priceless.
  • ABC has hit rock bottom financially.

Wow, this episode surprised me. Only 2 of the main characters were in it: Elliot & Turk. JD, Carla, Cox, Kelso, Ted, Jordan or even the janitor don't appear in this episode. How money did ABC want to save? 2 million, 3 million? Although this episode didn't have many of it's cast members, it was quite entertaining and the end was revealing and heartwarming. Elliot & Turk hardly have had interactions over the past eight years. Putting them together now seemed a bit strange, but once they started doing the HIV-y dance, I knew it was going to be an acceptable episode.

I usually don't mind the interns but they were quite annoying here. I think the best part of the episode was the HIV patient who we thought was anorexic from last season. Turk & Elliot being nostalgic was nice, and it's nice to see this show come to a full circle as the Scrubs cast is now all grown up and now they're teaching interns rather than being interns. An okay episode, definitely felt something missing, nothing compared to the Old Scrubs, no JD, but still good in places.
  • A very revealing episode...

Sure this episode had it's fair share of laughs, but it was realistic. It shows what doctors go though. This episode definitely had it's moments, which makes it a very special episode, well at least for me. Turk and Elliot acted really well in this episode, especially Elliot at the end. This was definitely one of my favorite parts of the whole season because it's raw and revealing and very honest. I think that this is a very well put and special episode, sure it's different than other episodes, but it doesn't make it bad does it? I watched the end with Elliot's narration about five times, i think this puts into perspective how much i liked this episode :)
  • Roadtest for season 9?

I think that it is fairly safe to assume that this episode was produced primarily looking at what the show could do next season. It is very, very different to all other scrubs episodes with no narration, only 1 fantasy scene and barely any of the main cast. However, the new interns do manage to hold their own and produce a number of amusing moment. Both Sarah Chalke and Donald Faison were excellent and showed they can do comedy and drama. The episode was well written and the one fantasy scene was hilarious. If this is the direction they are looking to take, I will definitely keep watching.
  • I like the ending, but I'm not sure how interested I am in a show all about the interns.

They've done some weird stuff this season with episodes, like how only two or three main characters will get featured. They change interns every year, but now for some reason they're deciding to spend time on them. I don't really care about these new characters that just got forced into the show. Its hard to care about these new episodes when there are only two or three familiar faces on every week. Despite the overall lack of interest, I liked the foreshadowing they did with elliot's dialogue at the end. The only reason I'm still watching this is to find out what happens to the main characters, so please wrap it up.
  • Meh.

5.5
    Okay, so here are the few good bits:

The hivvy - Anything with Eliot dancing with Turkey is brilliant.

Spacemountain - the fact that it was planned for their 44th birthdays and Turk's subsequent reaction were great.

Tod's high 5 reactions - super to have him biting back at his thing, and the crazy doctor in the blooper reel fist pumping.

The crazy patient - who thought everybody was a body double. Genius.

But the rest was moany, preachy and downright pants. No episode can do without the Janitor, Cox and Kelso. Even JD was missed in this one.

Really boring. Could not care less about the interns.
  • Eliot evaluates her career choice...

While ABC's money saving strategy has most of the cast sitting at home, when a few permutations and combinations act their stuff out at the set. This installment was pretty depressing with Eliot and Turk immersed in a sea of nostalgia.

The show is gonna end - we get it!. That doesn't warrant you to produce some mundane stuff. For Christ sake, its not the end of the world. Even Friends, which ran for 10 seasons, ran this nostalgia stuff only in the finale. But yes, I must admit the final scenes were pretty heart wrenching, and it kind of makes the viewers look back into the past using the lives of Turk and Eliot. We've practically lived with these characters over the last 8 years - and I must appreciate this episode for bringing out that emotion.

But still, its comedy and we deserve some fun other than stupid high fives, booty, and fart jokes.
  • Probably my least favourite episode this season.

I love Scrubs but this episode had none of my favourite characters in it and a whole episode of the interns just doesn't do it for me. There were a few nice moments but not enough of the clever witty writing I have come to expect from the show. This season was a vast improvement on the previous 2 but this episode was nowhere near as good. I hope that this is put right for the remainder of the season as I woulkd hate to think that it would end on such a downer. Definitely not my favourite episode so far.
  • Turk and Elliott are on call and are running the hospital with the interns. A very different episode of Scrubs.

This episode to begin with had alot of the feel that the previous "No JD" episode had with the feeling that it may be a test run for Scrubs to continue after major cast members have left. No J.D or Carla, or Kelso or Dr.Cox or Janitor made this feel like a very different show. With Elliott and Turk surrounded by the interns it makes you feel that they are setting up a platform for scrubs to go to a 9th season. Whether this is a good thing or not is questionable though.

This week J.D is off with Sam to Disneyland and Carla and many other major cast members are no where to be seen. This has Turk and Elliott running the hospital for the night. They don't like the idea of just having the interns around as they have reached the point where they actally think they are good doctors and know everything. To knock them down a peg or two Elliott and Turk each give them assignments that will hopefully challenge them.

Along the way Turk and Elliott have a deep discussion about how they feel about their jobs and whether they will do it for the rest of their lives. Elliott seems unsure as a patient comes in that had previous weight problems and now is HIV positive. This ep was funny in parts and had the emotional kick that most great Scrubs eps have but the problem here was much simpler. It never felt like Scrubs, it seemed almost like a spinoff that occurs when half the cast don't want to be there anymore. That said I still enjoyed this ep, especially Turks day dream where he sees himself as a mechanic. I just hope we can get the whole cast back for the remaining few eps.
  • Not very Scrubs. Upsetting, but not horrible

Scrubs would have to be my fave tv show of all time and so that clouds my judgement of the episode some what. I really like the characters of Elliot and turk and this episode was really quite nicely put together and some really nice storylines, but it really wasn't a scrubs episode. I mean a whole episode without JD (Zach Braff) What the...? Thats just not scrubs. I was just watching some repeats and realised that in this episode we did not hear JD's voice once, (first episode ever.. i think). In My Absence although JD wasn't there they still had his voiceover. There was no other character interactions either, because there were no other characters. I like the new interns but im sick of watching them, i watch Scrubs to see whats going on with the main characters.
    Oh and By the way as if JD would go to disneyland without Turk? Im just hoping the next couple of episodes are why better because i would hate the show to end with episode excluding JD.
  • One of those interesting episodes ... partially because of ABC's budget restraints, yet worthy in other ways.

This is clearly one of the episodes required by ABC TV's budget to exclude major characters in order to keep costs down (if they don't appear, they don't get paid). Surprising though, that in this episode the only two classic characters were Elliot and Turk. No Cox, JD, Carla, Janitor, Kelso, Nurse "Laverneagain", Ted, this episode used the fewest recognizable characters of any in the entire 8 years of the series. Not even any of the regular side players (other than "the Todd")showed up; none of the other doctors or cafeteria crowd. Yet, while ABC saved tons on money, the episode was extremely touching in so many ways. We continue to see Elliot grow and she admits that perhaps, if married with children, medicine might not be her first choice. Also, the interaction between Turk and Elliot showed a maturity unseen previously. They are "old pros" now. At the same time, we see growth in the interns. This last point seems to be a double edged sword. If this truly is the final season, then we're beginning to see that Sacred Heart will be left in the care of competent, growing people. On the other hand, if they attempt to pursue another season, the remaining characters just may be able to pull it off. The trademark Scrubs juxtaposition ... funny versus serious; Elliot has to tell a patient she has HIV while the squeaky intern (sorry, her name escapes me but she's good) spends the episode trying to coax an uptight woman to fart (and then repulses everyone with the after effects) ... classic Scrubs on a somewhat lower key, lower budget, but nonetheless excellent episode.
  • What a great episode! It was really refreshing to see the dynamic between Turk and Elliot. It was also refreshing to see their mutual love for JD in action.

What a great episode! It was really refreshing to see the dynamic between Turk and Elliot. It was also refreshing to see their mutual love for JD in action. But something that was really special about this episode was what happened with Elliot. I love her character very much, but I've always had a hard time taking her seriously. Something that really stood out for me was how they opened her up and I felt I was actually able to relate to her, probably for the first time in the series. The way she talked about leaving the hospital to start a family seemed like the first real "Elliot" moment for me.

I mean, the closest we've had to a moment like that with Elliot was "My Fishbowl", and even then Elliot's story seemed cliché and slightly contrived, (Chalke's acting was great, but the story seemed forced). But to me this ending was real and genuine. I hope this is some sort of set up for the series finale, I really want JD and Elliot to settle down together in the end :D

(I admit I'm a shipper).
  • Scurbs is amazing and will always be.

Scurbs is amazing and will always be. Great ending to a well written episode. Will elliot stay or will she leave. I think this is the last episode that will be missing some main characters. The next few episodes will be in the Bahamas and I think it will be the best episodes ever for this show. The janitor will be proposing to lady soon. I really like the Famous Jet Jackson and Turk's intern and they fit in well with the cast even though I want to see more of the original cast from now on. 6 Episodes left till its over
  • bill lawrence come in..are u there?

what in the world!! now im just pissed at bill lawrence i mean cmon if you dont care about this great one of a kind show you started why did you bother letting abc take over?? here i thought you'd give the loyal fans one last great season...but clearly youve given up. For the last time we dont like the new interns stop shoving them in our faces hoping our opinions will change if we see them enough. Obvioulsy there tryin to get us used to seeing them so they can take over next season if there is one. I have nothing to say about the interns thats the impression theyve given me. Elliott and turk did have a couple of good moments and i chuckled at the patient who thought everyone were imposters. The scences with the girl with hiv could have been so much more emotional. Also i think they ended it with elliott thinking she would leave for a family because there gonna make her leave with j.d who she can have a family with, with sam.Just like in one tree hill with peyton and lucas.

Having j.d not there as well as the rest of the cast is a good example of what the whole next season would be like. C.R.A.P! I am so dissapointed in the the whole writing staff. They just dont seem to care anymore. I love scrubs like many others do but how long can we watch this mediocre rubbish just because were loyal to the show????