My Full Moon

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Apr 01, 2009 on NBC

• One of those interesting episodes ... partially because of ABC's budget restraints, yet worthy in other ways.

This is clearly one of the episodes required by ABC TV's budget to exclude major characters in order to keep costs down (if they don't appear, they don't get paid). Surprising though, that in this episode the only two classic characters were Elliot and Turk. No Cox, JD, Carla, Janitor, Kelso, Nurse "Laverneagain", Ted, this episode used the fewest recognizable characters of any in the entire 8 years of the series. Not even any of the regular side players (other than "the Todd")showed up; none of the other doctors or cafeteria crowd. Yet, while ABC saved tons on money, the episode was extremely touching in so many ways. We continue to see Elliot grow and she admits that perhaps, if married with children, medicine might not be her first choice. Also, the interaction between Turk and Elliot showed a maturity unseen previously. They are "old pros" now. At the same time, we see growth in the interns. This last point seems to be a double edged sword. If this truly is the final season, then we're beginning to see that Sacred Heart will be left in the care of competent, growing people. On the other hand, if they attempt to pursue another season, the remaining characters just may be able to pull it off. The trademark Scrubs juxtaposition ... funny versus serious; Elliot has to tell a patient she has HIV while the squeaky intern (sorry, her name escapes me but she's good) spends the episode trying to coax an uptight woman to fart (and then repulses everyone with the after effects) ... classic Scrubs on a somewhat lower key, lower budget, but nonetheless excellent episode.