Scrubs

My Jiggly Ball

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Jan 10, 2006 on NBC

• While it is well written throughout, it is the last five minutes that make this a memorable episode, especially as character development for Bob Kelso.

I've watched this episode several times, and while the first twenty-five minutes are well written, it is the last five minutes, which focuses of Kelso's character via a voiceover from J.D. about pride, that makes it a series classic.

Bob Kelso is portrayed throughout the series, most of the time anyhow, as an absolute jackass, who cares only about his own life and what affects him personally. Don't get me wrong – characters like Kelso are important to a comedy series. However, the various writers for Scrubs show that Kelso is not just a "bastard coated bastard with bastard filling". The last scene, along with the overlying song by Citizen Cope, shows that Kelso, while a jackass most of the time, makes the hard decisions about the hospital, and consequently, the people, both employees and patients, of the hospital as well. Even as Dr. Cox is pulling the sheet over Mr. Morrison's now lifeless body, Kelso's face shows the distaste in the decision he had to make regarding the failure to include Morrison in the drug trail over the wealthier patient Mr. Keck, but he doesn't let Cox know it. And, as he exits the hospital, he realizes even though Keck's donation allowed the pre-natal care unit to continue operations, the decision to sacrifice one life to save the many others still weighs upon him heavily. All in all, a very well written episode.