Scrubs

My Life in Four Cameras

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Feb 15, 2005 on NBC

• You could either love or hate this episode, I unfortunately am undecided.

7.6
    There is a lot of reasons people might dislike this epsiode. The fact they had to jam in Clay Aiken for no good reason. He didn't win American Idol people! Or the fact that this episode was just completely different than all the other episodes, people don't like change. They get confused and automatically dislike the episode. There are also many reasons why people would fall in love with this episode: The nice tie in with all the plots by the end, mirroring fantasy and realism, or by making an inside joke since Scrubs is technically a situational comedy minus the laugh track. I know what this episode did do though, by the end, it made me have a good feeling all over, and it made me smile. I just felt as though the "sitcom fantasy" wasn't as enjoyable as posed. I also wasn't a big fan of Clay Aiken's appearance. I liked this episode because of it's analysis of sitcoms: All the girls are eye candy, problems are resolved in 30 minutes, there is laugh track even when something unfunny happens. By the end, Scrubs managed to beat the cliches with all the plots they had, which made this episode in some ways outstanding, but of course that was just the tie in of the end of the episode. You can't forget the flaws, which brought the rating down. So an okay episode from Scrubs, with outstanding points, and unmistakable flaws.
  • A completely outstanding episode.

I cannot believe that a majority of these reviewers are completely superficial. This episode is quite prominent compared to other episodes of season 4 and it is in fact similar to that of "My Butterfly" because it portrays two parallel worlds, even though the other dimension is obviously implausible. Still, the episode only shows how JD wanted to alter reality, not for some stupid provincial reason. This episode, I believe, reveals another side of JD which makes him a very unique character. Even though, in reality, JD knows that Ken Lerner's faith is destined to be inevitablely, death. He seems to be able to become optimistic even when indulged with circumstances where success seems to be too good to be true. It is amazing how this episode shows the actuality of life. How "sitcoms" arn't exactly what happens in a hospital; or how things that may seem simple turn out to be amazingly hard. Ultimately, this episode ,"My Life in Four Cameras", has been thoroughly an amazing exemplification of real life. Whereas things do not usually go the way we perceive them to be. Therefore, this is, indeed, one of the best episodes of scrubs.
  • One of my favourite eps ever!

This is a good picture of how Scrubs would have ended up if it were to be taped in front of a live audience like a more traditional sitcom; we all know it wouldn't have worked (how would we experince J.D.'s fantasies then?), nonetheless it was nice to see how it would have turned out.
    I don't really know why I liked this episode in particular so much. Maybe it was the fact that J.D.'s fantasies had gone up to a really different level. I honestly cannot think of another episode in any other show that can compare to the uniqueness of the plot, but it's so characteristic of the kind of thing you'd usually find in Scrubs; that level of overly excessive and perhaps even insane daydreaming.
  • Not my favorite episode, but it's not that bad.

The first half of this episode, nearly 13 minutes, takes place in real life and is actually entertaining and well written, like a regular Scrubs episode. It's only when it becomes a sitcom that it becomes boring. The idea is interesting, but seeing nearly an entire episode of Scrubs as a lame sitcom got really old. It's as if the writers were trying to say "Hey, our sitcom's better, it's more realistic and it's minus the laugh track!" All this is true, but when the writers have to point this out to us it cheapens the show a little.

Season 4 is all gold, to me. This is the weakest episode in the season, but all scenes in reality are fine.
  • JD has a sitcom fantasy.

Turk and Carla try to help their marraige when they become jealous of JD and Kylie. Dr. Cox tries to stop Kelso from firing someone and Kelso tells him if he can make up the profit he wont have to. When Turk and JD meet the writer of Cheers and learn he has lung cancer, JD's life goes into a sitcom. In the sitcom the writer dude lives when it turns out his chart was switched, Carla and Turk make up, and Kenny wins a talent show and doesnt have to leave. JD realizes that wasnt right. The writer dies, Turk and Carla have to work on their marrige and Cox winds up having to fire Kenny.
  • A Scrubs episode with a live audience? Bad Idea, one of the worst Scrubs episodes I've seen.

7.8
    I hated My Life in Four Cameras; the only good part of the tradition sitcom segment was Elliot in that dress. Putting Clay Aiken in the episode was an awful idea; this episode could’ve been slightly been better if he wasn’t in it. Having a talent contest to get the money was awful, there was a better way to get that money, but with a talent contest, come on. The episode started off good, with J.D. in the mosh pit, which was pretty cool. Along with My First Day and My Night to Remember, this episode is one of few Scrubs episode that can only be watched once (maybe twice).
  • Ha Funny this was a great episode. Now i know what scrubs would be like as a sitcom.

This was a classic episode, and a good one at that. The premise was that the hospital was in a sitcom, obviously. All the people say that the episode was just another cheesy sitcom, do those people realize that it was suppose to be cheesy and stupid. The whole joke is that life would be all wonderful and happy, and everything would turn out perfect. Then at the end it would reveal that he actually died and how much different real lifer is then TV. So all those people who complained how bad this episode was because it was a cheesy sitcom, that was the whole point of the episode.
  • The problematic staff journeys to the set of a cheesy sitcom.

7.2
    This episode, I felt, moves away from what Scrubs is all about. I understand that the goal was to show how it would appear without the Scrubs characteristic of drama and sadness mixed in with comedy, but it ended up as an unimportant, boring, and frankly annoying episode. I feel that the aspect that makes Scrubs so funny is that the comedy is greatly contrasted with the drama. I simply couldn't laugh at these completely corny jokes without something bad happening in between. However, even though I felt this sitcom section was very lukewarm and ineffective...the episode was "saved" in the end by the great transition into reality. I would almost have felt better if they had done that little sitcom thing only at the end...solved the problems quickly, and BANG...characteristically dramatic ending. All in all, I felt that the sitcom idea was innovative at best, but the episode was truly brought full circle by a much needed, real, tragic ending.
  • The first bad episode of Scrubs I ever saw.

4.9
    There were some good moments in this episode (obviously, it was Scrubs!), but my main problem was the whole traditional sitcom parody. One of the many things that make Scrubs so great is that it is very different from other sitcoms, as was blatantly pointed out in this episode. However the whole "Happy Days" type sequence just seemed out of place.

They were going for a kind of ironic style with the skimpy outfits for the women, bright colours and the live audience laughing at almost everything that was said. That might have worked better if it only lasted as long as most of J.D.'s fantasies do, but it took up most of the episode. That meant that the audience was then laughing at jokes that were meant to be genuinely funny like Dr. Cox's rants. Except where in a traditional sitcom the audience laughter is meant to add to the joke, here it worked the other way and took away from the show.

The part of the episode that was meant to be ironic just turned into a traditional sub-par sitcom with nothing particularly funny. Although the ending saved it a little, it wasn't enough. This was one time that Srubs may have tried to be too smart for their own good.
  • Scrubs sitcom style

I love this episode of Scrubs its taking the mick out of sitcoms by using laugh track in unusual place's.
    Also this episode is strangely funnier this episode made me laugh so hard i couldn't breath my faviroute scene is where Dr.Cox needs some money a certain amount and its like 169,565,68 (its stupid amount anyway) and there's a talent show that can win the same Amount of money what a cowincidence well it made me laugh.
    This is my new fave episode i've seen it at least 23 times and you know what? this is excecaly why i watch scrubs!!!
  • Clay Aiken guest stars

I actully think Clay did a decent job. Scrubs has a great talent for casting guest stars in roles that really suit them and they do really well in but I must say I was a tad worried. Clay after all is a singer, he's not exactly going to winning any awards for his acting skills but he was totally decent. And of course they had to throw him a nod to the singing, which was of course great.

I love JD's little 'if real life was like a sitcom' day dream, too. Suddenly the girls looked like imitations of Jessica Rabbit, there was a laugh track playing after every joke, and cancer patients seemed to be completely fine except for the fact that they had cancer. Unfortunately, real life isn't like a sitcom.
  • Scrubs Does Sit Com

I'm a late Scrubs fan but this is obviously my favorite episode now. JD meets the writer of his favorite TV show and gets pulled into the horrible TV sitcom stereotype of bad jokes and canned laughter. Obviously, when you think about it, very few series were really that bad and the whole cliche has fallen apart in the last twenty to thirty years as TV watchers have matured, but it's so funny to see the female leads with their cleavage showing and the forced intros, like when JD defies Eliot to find something that scares him and the janitor walks in unannounced. In a cute sub-plot, Clay Aiken plays a kitchen worker who has to get fired, but he gets to sing in the TV spoof, before JD gets yanked back to the real world.
  • This took the p**s out of tipical sitcoms, which are filmed in multi-cameras. Plus a laugh track. And i loved it so much, and i thank Scrubs for doing it.

Personally, my favourite episode of Season 4, why? Because of how the episode was written, directed, acted and oh yeah of course.... THE STORYLINE. Just outstanding, a simple story line with so much humor and affect on the audience.

Now even though most tipical sitcoms have laugh tracks, this episode was actually filmed in front of a live audience.

Anyway, a famous writer comes to Sacred Heart with a really bad cough. Of course JD and Turk get excited, since it's the writer of 'Cheers'. Anyway after knowing his illness, lung cancer, JD imagines what things would be like if his life was like a sitcom. And so the entire second act is this fantasy.

10/10 episode.
  • A funny take off of lame sitcoms!

This episodes proved to be rather funny. It was hardly your usual episode of Scrubs because half of it's all in J.D. imagination. In this episode J.D. meets one of the writers of cheers, which he happens to be a massive fan of. After J.D. goes back to his hospital duties he begins to imagine what life would be like if were more like a sitcom where everything has a happy ending. Mean while Terk and Carla have relationship problems.

This episode proved to be one of the funnier episodes and it's break from the shows usual worked rather well here. Not only that but the jokes were spot on and J.D.'s imagination was a very funny and accurate take off of many lame sitcoms. Maybe the best episode od season 4.
  • Another great, original Scrubs episode. Awesome show!

In this episode, Turk and Carla are in compition with JD and his girlfriend. Half of the show is in a regular Scrubs style and then the other half is in a "sitcom style" hence the name "my life in four cameras". Like all the scrubs episodes, this is a gut busting episode and it also has a hard ending, but with a great moral narrated by JD.
  • A Scrubs sitcom

From the patient stampede following the news report at the start to the “imagine going home to my wife” line at the end, this episode is outrageously hilarious but that’s not why this episode is impressive.

My Life in Four Cameras is very entertaining because it shows what Scrubs would be like if it was a sitcom screened in front of an audience – a very original idea for any show of Scrubs nature.

The talent show was a great part in the episode and it really ties the episode together with brilliant themes and situations.

The cliché scenes and hilarious differences between Scrubs and other sitcoms are very entertaining and this is one episode that definitely stands out from the rest of the also entertaining season 4 episodes.
  • Awesome idea, great realization.

The miniskirts, the Talentshow, KENNYYYY!!!!
    The mixture of jokes and sadness is why I love the show! Most opf the time, the episode has a message.

Oh, and I love it so much when Elliot speaks German. She does a really good job. Speaks really good.

*Oh Romeo, warum bist du?* *Gesundheit*
  • Great episode. Classic Scrubs, but wait, it isn't.

IMHO, this is definitely one of the funniest episodes of the fourth season and possibly one of the best ever.

For part of this ep the show moves to a multi-camera sitcom style (Scrubs uses single camera, no live audience). It is great because it does everything that classic sitcoms would do. From the laugh track to the story where everything always turns out peachy. There were of course the classic characters one would expect as well.

I liked this episode very much because not only did it sort of poke fun at sitcoms (something Scrubs always does well), but it also was well written and really moved along the characters stories.
  • So Long James Charles, Goodbye Charles James.

So Long James Charles, Goodbye Charles James.

I felt nervous. Having heard about the sitcom aspect of this episode before seeing it, I was excited and nervous in equal measures. After seeing it, I was very pleased. Much of it was funny, and anything that wasn’t could be credited to the fact that it was a parody of rubbish sitcoms. This seemed to let the cast and crew off the hook if any jokes fell flat, but fortunately there weren’t too many that did.

What also made this episode a great success was that the first half, filmed in the traditional Scrubs way, was much better than previous episodes. Perhaps the writers were saving all the good gags for February Sweeps, but it made for a funny, although not dramatic, experience. Storylines were so slight, I’m not going to go into too much detail. Let me try a sentence: There’s a mass illness panic, Turk and Carla literally can’t schedule their love, and Cox has to do Kelso’s dirty work.

Despite being contrived plotlines (except perhaps Cox’s one), it’s not a patch on the second half, where JD takes a patient in a hot-air balloon, and Perry tries to win a talent show. However, just like the bright lighting, the hyperactive audience and the low-cut scrubs (being a 17 year old guy for a moment, has Elliot ever looked so hot? Although Carla’s outfit was a bit, shall we say, passé?), a silly plot was kind of the point. It’s a successful parody of something Scrubs has always tried not to be, although in my opinion is nothing like the show they specifically name, the 80s classic Cheers.

Not much is seen of Kylie in this episode, which is bizarre since she’s only just appeared on the show. Perhaps, she didn’t want to do the sitcom ‘thang’, but most probably the format didn’t allow for much to actually happen with her and JD; Instead, the writers reverted to making him a hideously pathetic child who nonetheless garnered a few chuckles. John McGinley shines, as he keeps his character’s harsh cynicism, but manages to lighten the mood and be funny. His six-syllable word was fantastic (Did anyone else count seven?) and his comment on Carla’s hair and Kenny’s meatloaf were hilarious.

One major complaint, and something that has happened before, is on the ending. JD’s patient crashes and Elliot is trying to save him. JD walks away somberly as he delivers his next uninspiring brain-speech. Sure, it was done for dramatic effect, but there’s no reason why the voiceover couldn’t have been done whilst he was working on the patient as well. Scrubs has never been about realism, but its still a disappointment considering how effective patient’s deaths have been in the past, both on JD and the audience.

Given that this episode was based on a series of one-liners, I decided it’d be best to do the same. 5 out of 5 Overexcited ‘Woooooh!’s.

“Do you see what you get, Carla? Do you see what you get when you mess with the warrior?!” ---- Turk

“I sure hope I don’t have dog flu…” ---- JD

Kelso: “You can’t schedule love.”
    Perry: “I think your credit card statement would beg to differ.”

Carla: “Well…….!?”
    Perry: “…. I’m sorry, would you please repeat the question?”

“That meatloaf today, it was virtually hairless.” ---- Perry

“[to Carla] Hell, we could crank up the humidity and watch your hair explode!” ---- Perry

“Unless you want to see me turn a two-syllable word into a six-syllable word, I rea-ee-er-ee-er-eely think that we should keep looking.” – Perry

“Hey guys!….. Thanks for coming so quickly!” ---- JD

Best line: “Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is to mime diarrhea?” ---- Elliot (shock, horror! Elliot in “Best Line” scandal! Congratulations)