Scrubs

My Nightingale

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Oct 03, 2002 on NBC

• JD, Elliot and Turk feel like having more responsibility, but when faced with a tough decision with no one to turn too, things become hard.

Something that has really been annoying me lately in season 2 is definitely the lawyer's quartet. It's a waste of time, and they sing about stupid things that I don't find remotely funny. The lawyer is better as a side character, not center stage and I think that's what we've learned from so far in season 2. Other than that, this episode was great. As residents, JD, Elliot and Turk feel like having more responsibility, but when faced with a tough decision with no one to turn too, things become tough. Meanwhile Cox realizes he still has feelings for his ex-wife, and he reveals his feelings for her. Which puts things in a weird spot. Jordan only agrees to be in a relationship if Cox gives a nice speech about Kelso in front of everyone. But he blows it, now it might effect his only chance with Jordan. The problem isn't resolved in this episode, but it's definitely whole lot of development with the Cox/Jordan relationship. Meanwhile Elliot, Turk, and JD are clueless. This episode definitely tested on how good they were with responsibility and it was definitely enjoyable to watch. It was also nice to see in the end that they made a good decision by themselves, we also find out that Carla helped them throughout the whole episode when she wasn't supposed to be working that night. Guess she has really warmed up to her friends. A great episode with some development, and just an enjoyable episode overall. But the lawyer quartet needs to go.
  • a great episode

this episode perfectly demonstrates why season 2 is the shows best season. also it's a night shift episode which i love ( my last words, my full moon and my quarantine r other great examples ) . also teds band was ausome with charles in charge , six million dollar man and facts of live theme songs. also the daydream scene with j d wearing a thong were great, however this episode featured flat things too like the hank daydream. great overall though .. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .. ..
  • Shows how certain characters view themselves and others. Sets up a social class system of the hospitals workforce. Establishes character relationships.

Overall, this was a good character developing episode with comedy, and irony.

Dr. Cox comes to terms with his feelings about Jordan but is to stubborn to hold onto her when he defies her and insults Bob at his reward ceremony. (Real Shocking)

It was nice to see that Perry actually cares about Jordan but ultimately ruins it. This episode also strengthened his relationship with Carla a little.

Speaking of Carla, this episode really looked into what it is like to be a nurse. The episode would have gotten a higher rating from me if it wasn't for how J.D., Turk, and Elliot treated Carla. Actually it was for how they didn't treat her. They spent the enire episode up to the last scene complaining about how they were the most un-respected people in the place. But it is revealed that Carla changed her work schedule to stay and help her friends run the hospital without any guidance and what did she get. Nothing, no thanks, or graditude, all she got was to listen to her friends complain about how badly they are treated. Their attitude upset me.

Anyway, it was a good episode just like all Scrubs episodes and I can'twaitto watch more.
  • The residents spend a night on-call with no attendings available

JD, Elliot and Turk have to deal with the responsibility of running the hospital on their own while the attending are gone. They are struggling to make a tough decision about a patient. It for once shows how supportive the Nurses are! Meanwhile, Cox deals with his feelings for Jordan. Cox and Kelso were amazing. They little fights were so great back in the earlier Seasons. I really enjoyed Ted's Band the Blanks singing all the songs in the episode and i'm not really a fan of 'music' in that sense. The fantasties were really hilarious. There really isn't a lot of 'not positiv' things i could say about this episode.
  • Different.

J.D., Elliot and Turk find themselves alone in the hospital night shift and face responsibilities without supervision for the first time. Luckily, they have Carla there to support and guide them through the night.

Meanwhile, Dr. Cox doesn't know what to do, when he realizes that he has feelings for his ex-wife Jordan and is asked (forced actually) to introduce Dr. Kelso at a social event, where he will be receiving an award from the medical board.

I thought this episode was pretty good. It was different for sure, but its received some undeserved criticism.
  • Still Good, but one of the weaker episodes

Although this episode explores the theme of our three newly minted residents being on their own for the first time (with no apparent senior backup at the hospital during a night shift), there does not seem to be much in the way of any tension explored in that and it falls somewhat flat. This main plot line seems rather weakly done compared to many of the earlier episodes of Scrubs and the hidden support (from Dr Cox) joke is not as crisply done as we have come to expect from this show. Also Dr. Cox's intro of Kelso seemed not up the usual Scrubs level of comedy. However, what is weak for Scrubs is still far better than most other shows. This episode still has many "gems": J.D. and Janitor have a very funny scene, and the a-cappella songs continue to add a surreal wackiness. Should not be missed by any Scrubs fan.
  • This episode was a rare, however brief, look into how subtley nurses support the doctors in a hospital.

Just to be clear, very little of this episode is actually focused on the nurses.

Most of it centers on a hectic night on the job for JD, Tur, and Elliot, an awards ceremony for Dr. Kelso, and Dr. Cox expressing his newfound feelings for his ex-wife, Jordan.

Basically the main three characters (JD, Turk, and Elliot) were griping about how they\\\'re unappreciated at the hospital. They felt that the residents just didn\\\'t treat them with the respect that they deserved. But, due to an awards ceremony held in Dr. Kelso\\\'s honor, most of the residents were unavaliable one night, leaving - you guessed it - our main three to run the place.

Since there were only these guys on, many other hospital officials just kept passing patients on to them, so they were swamped. They were all really scared, but Carla was there (as usual) to keep them focused and everything worked out fine.

All that stuff is the normal part, but the thing that really stuck with me was the reoccuring theme of the nurses being there to support the doctors but never getting any recognition. Also, at the end of the episode you find out that Carla actually had the night off, but switched shifts just to help them out, although she never told them.

They spent all that time complaining about how they weren\\\'t respected as doctors, but they completely failed to realize how people like Carla never even approached their level of respect as nurses. Most people just gloss over that when they see this episode. It wasn\\\'t spectacular, but it was most certainly \\\"revealing.\\\"
  • Fairly solid episode

This episode has its funny moments and its revealing moments, my favourite scenes being the Janitor ones with great moments such as:

Janitor: Ohh, so you can do my stuff but I can't do yours.
    J.D.: Yes!
    Janitor: Okay hotshot, what would you use to get a coffee stain up off a tile floor?
    J.D.: I don't know, the rough side of a sponge?
    Janitor: Damnit!

This episode also reveals that Dr Cox has feelings for Jordan and therefore ruins their relationship, though in a very funny way, with Cox calling Kelso the devil in a speech honoring him.

The three main cast (JD, Turk, Elliot) having the hospital to themselves had some great scenes but lacked in some places.

Overall, the episode is very entertaining, much like, well, every episode of Scrubs.