Scrubs

My Own Personal Jesus

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Dec 11, 2001 on NBC

• Faith.

6.8
    I don't know if it was the "Christmas" essence of this episode, or just the plot. But this episode was just okay for me. Other than the heartfelt moment in the end, where everyone's together. Everything else was just okay. Cox's ex-wife, Jordan returns. I really like her character and I'm glad she came back. I love that whole "Not buying it" scene. JD isn't in the Christmas spirit when Cox assigns him to film his old friend's birth. Elliot gets offended by Kelso's remark about her ending up in something related to women as a career in life. So he tells someone who just found out she was pregnant that babies weren't her thing. Ensuing her to leave. When Elliot finds out something else is wrong with her, she starts feeling bad and looks for her. Turk is the happiest and is the most cheerful one of all. Until Christmas Eve rolls around, and he loses faith because of all the patients he had. Everyone seeks to help Turk, including Carla, but he just shuts everybody out. Of course, a miracle happens: Turk ends up saving the pregnant girl. Biblical allusion and some cheesy scenes to end the episode. I think Scrubs is better off if they don't focus too much on the holiday aspect of the episode for now on. It's better off that way. Decent episode.
  • The first Scrubs Christmas episode.

I really, really like this episode! And for me that's something 'special', because i usually don't like Christmas Episodes. I also usually don't enjoy God and Christian Themes and would have never figured Turk to be a religious person. Yet, the episode was cleverly plotted and very well written, which made it enjoyable even for me. The 'patient' storylines in this Episode were very good as well. But i didn't enjoy the 'main' one (pregant girl) as much as the others. The ending was just a little bit too cheesy and over the top, like a typical Christmas Episode/Movie. The Turk thing was also a little bit to much, but i really liked their parody of '12 days of Christmas'. The Janitor was hilarious in this as well!!
    This was probably the episode were a started shipping Jordan and Perry.
  • this is the first christmas episode of the show

This episode was insightful and the second appearance of the sad piano melody that plays in JD's head. I believed that the faith themes where excellent but did find it a bit out of character on the writer's part to have Turk mysteriously find this women despite it being a "christmas miracle". I suppose that was the point, showing people to have faith but i still cannot see someone running in one direction to find somebody because of a star in the sky.

However i did enjoy the parody of the 12 days of christmas and how Turk acted throughout the episode.
  • Fine example

I love this episode so much. It starts as a Scrubs milestone as being the first holiday episode as well as one of the best and most heartfelt episodes of the season.

The episode starts with the crazy antics of the Janitor messing with JD (just after his daydream about Nurse Tildale ala Fast Times and Ridgemont High) while Turk rallies around the belief of miracles during the holidays. No one seems to get into the spirit and soon after Turk begins to lose faith in humanity because of the lies and hurt he witnessed on Christmas eve. Elsewhere, Elliot is serving at the free clinic and gives an expectant mother some iffy advice. The mother dissapears and leaves the cast wondering where she would go and if she is ok. In the end Turk gets a strange feeling and stumbles upon the whereabouts of the girl. He delivers the baby and everyone is united at the scene of Turks 'miracle' as the mother and baby are saved.
  • It's Christmastime at Sacred Heart, and Turk's the only one who feels like celebrating - but all that changes after a busy night on call; Cox has JD videotape the birth of the son of one of his friends and Elliot loses a pregnant patient.

A fine example and a good, funny episode, I think. I think this was a really good episode with not that much room for improvement. It was funny how Elliot 'lost' her pregnant patient, Meredith, and the Sacred Heart version of 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' was hilarious! A good, funny episode, one of the better ones, I think. I also liked how it Jordan Sullivan appeared again in this episode. I don't know what will happen with Cox and Jordan, because at the end of this episode it appeared that they were happy and back together, but I don't know. A very good episode.
  • Christmas… and a banana hammock, too.

So this is a great episode for a million reasons. Great acting, great writing, great music, great jokes… just lots of greatness. It also happens to be one of the most touching episodes ever. It’s religious, but not in the overly annoying way that a lots of shows do.

Turk’s struggle with keeping his religious beliefs is truly touching and something that many people can relate to.

To top it off; not only do we have a touching storyline, but the episode happens to be extremely funny too! JD’s fantasies about Turk being a preacher and especially Jordan’s “I’m not buying it” fantasy are hilarious! Not to mention the Janitor, or JD’s sudden blurting of “banana hammock”… priceless.

All in all; this is why I watch Scrubs. The “powers that be” should be very proud of this episode it’s absolutely brilliant and a very special episode indeed.
  • Good episode! I love the Christmas song!

It's Christmas Eve but it is hard to get into the spirit when you work at the hospital every day. Elliott asks Dr. Kelso for advice with a 19-year old patient who is 8 months pregnant. She would rather have the family practice people handle her, but Dr. Kelso would rather have her handle it especially as most female doctors end up in family practice or pediatrics.

Dr. Cox stops J.D. and asks him to video tape the birth of his friend's baby. Another patient of J.D. has been in a coma for two weeks and just as he is telling his family to give up, he awakens. Turk sees this as a miracle from god, who is the most faithful of the group. J.D. mocks him by saying that he believes in a monopoly hat and Carla chips in by saying she read the end of the bible and it ruined the rest of it so she never came around to read the whole thing. Turk is offended and makes them come to the window, where he tells them a quote from bible while showing them a star. The star is just from a big christmas tree in the park. Turk tells Carla he has a full love embargo for the time being.

Elliott's patient doesn't think it's possible she could be preganant and wants to know what to do. Elliott goes off to get somebody else to talk to her. Jordan meets J.D. and Elliott in the hallway. J.D. takes off to avoid an awkward situation. Turk pursuade everybody to go to mass the next morning. Elliott returns to the room but the patient has left, but she should be getting ready to deliver her baby as soon as possible. J.D. films the child birth but afterwards they notice Dr. Cox punched the tabs out of the tape so they can't be recorded over. Turk is on-call and has to handle lots of bad cases over night which makes him lose faith. J.D. and Turk are getting ready for mass and Turk comes home from the hospital. He doesn't want to go anymore, ever.

Elliott is worried about her patient and J.D. reckons she will surely turn up. Turk is pessimistic about that. Dr. Cox switched the tape of the birth but Jordan wonders why the baby has hair in the video. Dr. Cox and J.D. come up with the excuse that they shave the baby. Dr. Kelso questions why Elliott is at the hospital on her day off, and she says she is worried about the pregnany lady and doesn't care about babies as much as he things. Carla takes Turk on the roof to try and bring back his christmas spirit. Turk thinks this is all a joke to her and that he feels abandoned by god, as so many people got hurt last night. Dr. Cox reveals that he will not go to see baby Charlie, J.D. tries to tell Jordan to make him feel bad but she also doesn't want to see baby Charlie.

Elliott takes J.D. away because there was a 911 call about a pregnany lady but no location. Turk has a feeling and runs out of the hospital. He runs all the way over to the big Christmas tree over at the park and finds the pregnant lady. Jordan and J.D. go to see baby Charlie after all and they connect. Everyone comes to the park and the delivery goes well. Carla wants to know how Turk knew she was there. J.D. agrees that he was right, and that miracles really do happen. J.D. says "God bless us, everyone" and everyone walks off saying that was a really lame and cheesy thing to say.

This was areally cool episode, and about Christmas!!!
  • The twelve days of Christmas!

This episode was both funny and serious which usually works quite well with Scrubs plots, this not being an exception. I love the twelve days of Christmas hospital version and also the song towards the end.

Turk's faith is great as is JD's daydream of Turk being a preacher. JD and Cox's storyline of the baby and JD not switching the tape is hilarious especially the daydream of Jordan bringing a book of JD and Cox's shaved the baby story and stating "Yeah, I'm not buying it".

The Janitor was great in this episode stating that JD will not ruin his Christmas again, not this year (JD: But I've only worked here three months!")

Dr Kelso's remarks about Elliot do turn out to be almost correct with Elliot's "Aw, look at the baby" at the end.

Turk getting his faith back, remembering what Elliot's patient said about liking the big Christmas tree in the park, was a great ending to a terrific episode.
  • Tis the season at Sacred Heart in the first holiday episode of Scrubs and all is not so merry. JD, Carla, and Elliot all seem to hate Christmas, but the miracle inspired Turk is out to find the true meaning of christmas.

Hilarious daydreams, and the ever so wonderful meetings between Dr Cox and his ex wife Jordan, we have a winner of an episode. Especially the hilarious one liner from JD as he blurts out 'banana hammock!' on two different occasions. The episode is full of comedy and shows a fine moral about faith to keep not only during the holidays, but in everyday life.

A great episode!