Scrubs

My Roommates

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Feb 22, 2005 on NBC

• JD gets kicked out of his own apartment by Turk & Carla.

Okay let me start off by saying that Kylie is really starting to annoy me, I feel as though they have been dragging this relationship on for too long. There isn't anything wrong with Kylie, which makes their relationship quite boring. The funny things was JD trying to sleep over at her house, but other than that, nothing special was going on, and I have to say I am not interested in their relationship like I used too, so every plot they have together, I will end up disliking. Continuing from the last episode, Turk & Carla are having marital problems. They think the problem is JD so they kick him out. I thought it was a bit harsh of them to kick JD out of HIS own apartment, and JD is the one that's letting them sublet the place, not the other way around. It was funny to see JD try to sleep over some of the character's houses. We got to delve in to some of the side character's personal lives which I very much enjoyed. Especially Todd's. Cox has a serious plot once his old friend who he always competes with comes to town. He finds out his friend's son has autism. After he told him, his friend thought that Cox was jealous which made the plot all that more serious since it was true. Who knew that Turk & Carla's marital problems would last? It's a lot more serious than we think when they realize they need JD around to be in a relationship. You can't help but be sad, since they've been together since day one and they're married! Elliot has become a side character, when will they give her a plot again? A great episode, with some unexpected serious plots that made the episode better than what it would be without the drama.
  • Turk and Carla kick JD out for a week.

Knowing their marriage is in trouble, Carla and Turk blame JD. They kick him out for a week to see if it helps. However JD struggles to find a place to sleep. Meanwhile Dr. Cox's old friend comes to town and Cox realizes his kid mave be autistic. Despite their effort, Carla and Turk realize they miss JD. Right before JD gets to have sex with Kylie, Turk and Carla come and say they want him home. Cox tells his friend that his son is autistic and recomends him to a doctor. Wondering how JD does all the stuff he does, Carla and Turk ask him. He says because their his friends.
  • Carla and Turk, Dr. Cox and Nathan

7.3
    When Dr. Cox's long time friends arrives for a visit and they ensue in their usual pissing contest (which is sometimes actually a pissing contest, literally) the fun is muted. Dr. Cox suspects that Nathan, his friends son, may be autistic but does not want to speak up unless absolutely certain. After spending some time with the boy it becomes undeniable. He confronts and his friend and tells him the truth, though it's obviously a very hard situation for the both of them.

Meanwhile, Turk and Carla insist that Jd move out and though he complies he has some serious trouble finding a new place to land. But when Turk and Carla invite him back, after only a few days away, the real issue becomes that Carla and Turk couldn't even spend a week alone with eachother with out someone else around, they even called Elliot.
  • JD moves out

Other than Ted’s momentary scene that was just a repetitive joke from a previous season, this episode was hilarious, following on from a threat made by Carla back in season three that suggested JD may be kicked out.

The roommates JD goes through are very funny especially The Todd and Kylie but this plot is not the only entertaining story in the episode because we also have terrific scenes from Turk and Carla’s (“I didn’t even want to do it in the kitchen”) as well as the revelation that their relationship was in trouble.

Cox’s plot is both hilarious like the competition between him and Ron and serious as he deals with the autism issue.

Overall, this is one episode not to be missed with great lines from every character excluding Ted’s “buffer between me and mum” line which, while being funny has been used in a different context before and the writers could have come up with a more pathetic line from one of the funniest characters in the show that hasn’t been used before. Sorry for making such a big deal about it by the way because that is the only part of the episode that was a letdown so very few points are taken from the almost perfect score this episode deserves.
  • “We’re in trouble, aren’t we?”

“We’re in trouble, aren’t we?”

After the last couple of supremely funny episodes, drama works its way into this one much more, and much better than usual. In recent seasons, any attempts at the ‘feelings’ shown when Scrubs first started out have become less and less suitable, given the increasing absurdity of the show. Although not a particularly great episode, its nice to see that the writers and actors can do drama if given the chance.

The main storyline centers around Turk and Carla’s currently fractured relationship. The passion has burnt out, and with no recent ‘event’ to blame their troubles on, they decide to use JD as a scapegoat, finally doing something mentioned last year and kicking him out. This leads to him searching for a place to stay, which brings the Tod into a funny scene. “Oh, I don’t swim” has to be the best line yet referring to his sexuality, but it’s a shame they couldn’t think of more jokes beyond the tired stereotypes (especially in Ted’s case).

Hoping that his unfortunate circumstances may fortunately help with his slooooow relationship with Kylie, JD repeatedly tries to get her into bed, to (almost) no avail. Sadly, they too seem to be on the rocks, as the passion in their relationship, which was never simmering to begin with, is almost non-existent here, and JD’s yearning for sex puts him further down my likeability scale of his character. (Expect more reasons why I don’t like JD anymore in future reviews.)

Meanwhile, Turk and Carla are just plain bored. They still haven’t completely realized that JD isn’t their problem, and it’s not until the end of the episode that they do. It has been noticeable in this season that they’re not as strong a couple as they once were (despite the “I’ll help you through this diabetes” sentimentality) and it’ll be interesting to see if they can stay together. Given Scrubs’ lack of desire for change, my guess is a resounding ‘yes’.

By far the best storyline, however, was the visit of Dr. Cox’s high school friend Ron and his subsequent diagnosis of Ron’s autistic child. It seems that Perry and Ron are the best of friends, despite the fact that he’s never been on or (I think) mentioned in the show for the past four years. They’re basically Turk and JD – 30 Years On, which makes Ron’s Angry Black Guy routine all the more hilarious. I don’t know why the racial jokes always appear to be consistently funny, but it may be down to the fact no other TV series uses them to such a brave (yet reasonable) extent.

As Perry realizes that Ron’s child may have autism, he dithers on what to do next. In the end, he does the right thing, standing by his friend and doing what he can to help. It’s nice to see this side of Cox, although it would have also been nice to see more of the putdowns only he can dish out. Other things were notably absent this episode, including the Janitor. He gets one scene in which he says what we’ve all been thinking – “I’ve become too predictable.” I do wonder why they insist on keeping him around as a main character if he gets even less screen time than the Tod. Please don’t interpret this as contempt for the character, because he was one of the reasons I started watching this show. It’s just more needs to be done to give him some depth, even if he is only there for comedy purposes.

Speaking of comedy, this episode wasn’t particularly good in that respect, with only one or two laugh-out-loud moments (the arrogant talking teddy and Jack’s head-meets-bucket embargo for instance). Other gags were less well done, with the worst being JD’s attempt to pull out a cable box. It’s well known that Zach Braff can do some fantastic slapstick moments but this was slapstick at it’s worst, being both predictable and long-winded.

Still, an average episode is always somewhat better than Raymond and co. so I shouldn’t grumble. 3 out of 5 Angry Black Guys.

Best line – “Hit the bricks, bitch! You got no game!” ---- Kylie’s funky teddy