Scrubs

My Soul On Fire, Part 1

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Apr 08, 2009 on NBC

• One of my favorite episodes this season, even though some people might be inclined to disagree.

I don't know if it's just because Scrubs is just a few weeks away from ending for good, but I'm finding myself entertained more and more by each new episode this season. While there were some episodes in the beginning (mainly, the first and third) and a couple recently that were not that great, I've found this season to be MUCH better than Season 7, and in some ways, Season 6. There is a lot to compliment, and I found plenty in this episode to enjoy.

I never for a moment thought that the marriage was genuine between Janitor and Lady. The Janitor has always been strange (look no further than his answer to the question, "Have you ever been in love?"). Everything leading up to the moment where everyone goes to the Bahamas is what made the episode. I found that the writers all kinds of little moments to chuckle at, and even more to flat out burst out laughing at. The tiki's that JD buys on the "interweb," the "NAHNAHNAHNAH" whenever something bad happens, Todd high-fiving the cardboard cut out of Lloyd, and even Ted's line about feeling like his soul was raped. There was so much to enjoy in this episode and it truly felt like a classic. As I said before, perhaps its the fact Scrubs is ending that I'm finding so much to like in each remaining episode, but I feel there really was a lot to appreciate. Compare this episode to My Nah Nah Nah or My Jerks and you can see the difference between an alright episode and a great one.

The only problem I had was with Elliot's over reaction to JD's "I love you" statement. They've already had the discussion about their past relationships and things that have screwed them up in the past before, and it seems like having a problem this late in the game is just a little ridiculous. I hope that this issue is cleared up by next episode, because if we have yet ANOTHER "Will they, won't they?" arc about JD and Elliot, I'll go insane. I want them to just stay the way they are and end the show with them definitely leaning towards one side.

Overall, though, this episode was impressive. If I purely judged it on a laugh scale, I would say one of the better ones of the last few seasons.