Scrubs

My Two Dads

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Oct 23, 2001 on NBC

• The episode explores the relationships J.D has with Dr.Cox and Dr. Kelso. Turk unwittingly proves himself worthy of Carla's love by his willingness to forfeit sex for honesty. Elliot stumbles upon the "magic" qualities of her "ladies" (J.D. terminology).

"My Two Dads" is one of the most creative and hilarious Scrubs episodes in Season one. It is remarkable how, within an approximate twenty minutes slot, so much original material has been compiled into just one episode. Neatly fitting into the rest of the Scrubs storyline, it's packed with several classic Scrubs moments. Dr. Cox's "land of fairies and puppy-dog tails" repartees, J.D.'s fantasy of playing catch with Dr. Cox, the hilarious golf game session, the Star Wars satire (the costumes alone are enough to crack one up. The janitor as Chewbacca earns the gold), Elliot's magical boobs, J.D's Family Feud fantasy, and the Steadman-as-Dr.Kelso's pet-dog fantasies, the bagging of patients with insurance fantasy all contribute to this episode being an outstanding instalment in Season 1. Apart from the comedy, the episode also explores the relationships between J.D, Dr. Cox and Dr. Kelso. It also marks a significant development in Carla's and Turk's relationship. The writers Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan have come up with some brilliant lines in this episode. My personal favourites are Dr. Cox's "I don't know if they taught you this in the land of fairies and puppy-dog tails, where you obviously, if not grew up then at least spent most of your summers, but you're in the real world now. Nnnnn-kay?", Elliot's "Mmm! With rich, cliché centers?", and J.D's "My man Turk, is getting it daily and nightly and ever so rightly! Ah! What up, dogg!"