Scrubs

My Way or the Highway

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Apr 16, 2002 on NBC

• Forgettable.

5.7
    Definitely a solid episode, but I found it really easy to forget, and nothing was really special other than the development with Elliot's character, it's only development if her patient reprises his role. But other than that, it was zilch for me. The only part I remember laughing at is Elliot trying to look "flexible" in front of her patient. Basically this episode is all about competitiveness between JD & Turk, once Turk steals JD's patient: it becomes war. Everything is resolved in the end of course for those two. Cox tries to get the nurses back that Kelso fired for Carla. I'm liking the Cox/Carla conversations. Meanhwile Elliot tries to get her patient to ask her out, which was probably the only laughable part of the episode. The thing that DEFINITELY brought the rating down was with all those musical numbers, it was cheesy and annoying. Eh.
  • Scrubs meets West Side Story!

I LOVE musicals so I love this episode. Love the West Side story side story line! It's the best part of this episode. I also like the way the Janitor tells all JD patients that they need surgery. My favorite part it the last minutes when they are wheelchair racing in the hospital between surgical and medical. It shows why Dr. Cox hates surgeons, and the big difference between surgical and medical. I also like the JD fantasy song when Turk throws JD off the balcony and says: "Say it!". Which was an ongoing thread through this episode of Turk being completive. And JD's beoch!
  • Turk's competitiveness is starting to annoy JD

Not the best episode, but still great. I liked the singing of Turk/JD and Dr Wen/Dr Cox, even though i'm not a musical fan. I love the little fight between Cox and Kelso! There wasn't a lot of Philosophie in his one, but it doesn't have to be in very single episode. I did not like the character of Sean. He just seemed TOO perfect for Elliot and it seemed like now that JD doesn't have a girlfriend anymore, they had to give Elliot one. If it wasn't for Elliot and Sean, i might have rated it heigher. But i just don't like him. Doug the Nervous Guy was pretty fun and Dr Cox was suberb once again!
  • Fine example

You just know when Scrubs is going to parody a musical it will be good but this is excellent. I loved the 'Doctors' vs 'Surgeons' play on West Side Story and J.D. and Turk playing the roles of Maria and Tony is hilarious! They do make a cute couple. Elliott meets a neurotic patient who she has a long conversation about poo with and eventually manages to secure a date! Its Elliott at her most neurotic but its great to see her being appreciated for it rather than ridiculed.

Classic turns of course from all the other characters and some entertaining battles between Dr Cox and Dr Kelso and of course the surgeon/doctor rivalry. This episode is a Scrubs gem!
  • A classic Scrubs episode with a wonderful turn of West Side Story done Scrubs style!

• J.D. is getting annoyed by Turk's competiveness, and 'Coffee Nurse' gets fired by Dr. Kelso, angering Dr. Cox.

A very funny epsidode!!! Of course. This episode is just another example of what I expect from Scrubs. It was funny. I liked the part near the beginning with the whole boxers game or whatever. That was really funny!! It was also really funny with the whole thing where J.D. says, "I'm your bi-otch" whenever he loses a game with Turk. That is hilarious! And 'Coffee Nurse', with Dr. Cox, is very funny, too. This was a very funny episode and I like it all a whole lot. With the Coffee Nurse thing .... that is funny!!! It was also funny how Dr. Cox didn't even know her name, and then Dr. Kelso gave him the wrong name. Another funny episode.
  • A surgeon and a doc above it all!

This musical episode was a great idea with Turk never losing at the crazy games he comes up with such as Steak and JD constantly having to reply "I'm your be-otch!"

This episode is great the whole way through with great fantasies such as getting thrown off the balcony and memorable scenes such as patients following the Janitor's advice to have surgery.

The whole competitiveness theme was really creative with the tension between surgical and medical interns, The Todd actually continuing the "broadway musical" dance after JD's fantasy finished.

A musical for a medical show is a hilarious idea and this episode definitely has humerous results.
  • An example of this show at its best

A typical sitcom doing a musical episode is usually a sign of desperation, but this isn't the typical sitcom. In the surreal world of Sacred Heart imitating West Side Story makes perfect sense. The competion between medical and surgical interns is common in this show and is never shown better. The result is classic examples of all of the characters. Turk and his competative swagger needs to win at some of classic Turk games. Elliot is at her neurotic best when she meets her match and turns to Carla for advice. The Janitor shows his power and creates more problems for JD, the grounded center of it all. JD learns and grows, but not in leaps and bounds, and has many laughs along the way. The lack of conclusion in the episode (surgical and medical are still competing) is what makes this show great. It rejects phony endings and makes you want to come back for more.