Scrubs

NBC (ended 2010)

Scrubs Fan Reviews (890)

• One of the funniest and emotionally engrossing series I have ever seen. It mixes tragedy and comedy flawlessly and the only reason I don't give it a ten is because I don't want to "cheapen what should be an eternal struggle for perfection."

Scrubs is easily one of my favorite shows. If it was only a comedy show it would have been hilarious, but Scrubs is also thought provoking and does not balk in the face of tragedy, but instead embraces it and that is what makes it great.

Set in the hospital of Sacred Heart it follows John "J.D." Dorian as he goes from a lowly intern to a full-fledged doctor over the years. A hospital is really the best setting for this series as the tragedy is inevitable. Death, disease, grief and the doctors trying to survive it all.

Of course, just having a good theme wouldn't work if it was not for the incredible cast of the series and the kick ass dialogue. Zach Braff as J.D. is IMO a good example of perfect casting. He's great as the nerdy caring, day dreaming young doctor and he and Donald Faison (as his best friend Chris Turk) actually feel like friends.

Which is something that carries through the whole series, the characters (from the major to the smallest part) feel genuine. I could go on about this series for ever. But the main reasons this is a good series is very good actors, very good characters and dialogue, a novel narrator technique (J.D. daydreaming) and the daring choice to not let itself be limited to comedy. The jokes are what pulls you into the series, but it is the lessons we learn and the tears the tragedy pulls out of us that makes at least me remember Scrubs with love.

Highly recommended.