Scrubs

NBC (ended 2010)

Scrubs Fan Reviews (890)

• A good laugh

I used to follow Scrubs closely and thought it was a wonderful show. Yes, some of the pranks and antics are unrealistic. It's no mystery that these characters are better-looking and funnier than real doctors. But the plot of the show ought not to be taken so literally. It is a comedy, afterall. And compared to most comedies, I think it is rather well-written. All of the characters, and their relationships with eachother evolve throughout the show. The characters grow plenty, but still stay true and consistent with their identity. I think the acting is also good. Hardly ever does a character do or say something that I think to myself is uncharacteristic of him/her. The characters, are quite well-rounded, likeable, and well-developed. Each character is different, with a different set of strengths and weakness with which they approach their life with, which makes for a very interesting and rich storyline.

The show progresses seamlessly, revealing character depth and natural human progress. In the first few seasons, J.D. seems like a naive man-boy, Turk his free-wheeling side-kick, Elliot an awkward, oversensitive basketcase, Carla a gossip queen, and Cox and Kelso jerks. But by the end of the fourth or fifth season, they're relationships have very naturally progressed, with realistic mistakes and setback. J.D. seems to have learned to stand on his own and take his life as it comes at him, Turk seems more like a devoted friend, father, and husband. Elliot gains some self-confidence and seems to come to terms with some of her personal issues. Carla, Cox, and Kelso fascinate me as they grow and reveal more about themselves as well. I recognize the defense mechanisms they each use in myself and plenty of people I have known. In fact, I think this show more than any other single factor is what makes me think twice before calling someone I don't like an asshole. Moreover, I think the show promotes cultural tolerance, exploring Carla's latin background and Laverne's spiritual mindset.

Some of the outrageous antics, as well as J.D's fantasies, are perhaps unrealistic, as I've acknowledged earlier, but is completely characteristic. Dr. Cox, flipping a table over at a restaraunt, for example. By this point in the series, it is well-known the he has a cold, jaded outer shell to protect himself, and it is dramatic irony at that point in the series, to watch the bewildered waitress gawk at him and write him off as some angry jerk.

J.D and Turk's child-like pranks and habits are an exaggerated, but refreshing look at long-time friendships. Those two have had more than enough 'real' moments on camera to justify their emotionally close relationships. They are seen spending a lot of time together and talking openly with eachother.

Elliot, frankly, annoyed me at first. She seemed like a big ditz who even wrecked the first few episodes for me. I still regard her as rather vain and childish. But I can see the important role she played in J.D's life as the show goes on. I can even relate to her, in the sense that she falls so hard and leaves herself so vulnerable in the face of love. She certainly seems less jaded a lot of the time than the other characters. During the episode that she set up Cox to run into a hallway door and fall down, she officially earned my respect as a character.

The ongoing struggle between Kelso and Cox in how they run the hospital is actually very realistic, and reveals both of their passions for their work.

Overall, I think it is an excellent show.