SCTV Channel Forums

Cinemax (ended 1984)

The SCTV Franchise

bry456

[1]Feb 14, 2007
    • level: 19
    I am curious about the show in its format. I know the early years 76-81 were 30 minutes.

Then in 1981, it ran on NBC for two years (I think) under SCTV 90 (as in it was 90 minutes long). Then in 1983-84 season, its last I believe, ran for 45 minutes on Showtime cable network.

My question is, why so many formats?

Why didn't last longer than it did on NBC under the 90 minute format?

The DVDs of the shows, I thought of buying a couple off Amazon.com, do they include every from the particular shows or are there awkward edits?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bry456

[2]Feb 20, 2007
    Nothing?? Hello, Bueller??

bry456

[3]Feb 24, 2007
    I guess this isn't good. Question to the prime minister Mr. Michael Shersby.

HelloStuart

[4]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 63
    bry456 wrote:
    I am curious about the show in its format. I know the early years 76-81 were 30 minutes.

Then in 1981, it ran on NBC for two years (I think) under SCTV 90 (as in it was 90 minutes long). Then in 1983-84 season, its last I believe, ran for 45 minutes on Showtime cable network.

My question is, why so many formats?

Why didn't last longer than it did on NBC under the 90 minute format?

The DVDs of the shows, I thought of buying a couple off Amazon.com, do they include every from the particular shows or are there awkward edits?

Sorry for the delay in response, Bry.

The show ran as a half-hour program when it was made in Canada, producing about 25-30 episodes per year. When NBC bought the show, they agreed to make it a 90-minute program, at a rate of nine episodes at a time (equal to 27 half-hours). At first, SCTV aired in place of SNL during summer repeats, then moved to Friday nights following Johnny Carson. Despite a fast start, ratings were middling and NBC pulled the plug in 1983. When it seemed like all hope was lost, SCTV made its way to pay cable, where it aired one season of eighteen 45-minute episodes (again, do the math) before the cast and writers finally decided to part ways.

HelloStuart

[5]Jun 6, 2007
    Also, the four DVD sets that are presently available are strictly from the NBC years; the first three cover the extended first season of the show (27 episodes, broken down into three groups of 9), and the fourth set covers the entire albeit shortened 1982-83 season (12 episodes total). No word yet on Volume 5 (SCTV Channel, aka the year on pay cable).

bry456

[6]Jun 22, 2007
    Thank you. That helps.

Which volume includes the parody of Michael McDonald driving around time to different studios to record vocals? In between his vocal recordings he walks outside the sound booth smokes and talks and then runs back in as soon as vocals are to be recorded

I imagine the sketch is probably not included or edited since it used the Christopher Cross song "Ride like the Wind" throughout. I've heard there is a lot of editing and cuts on the SCTV DVD sets.

HelloStuart

[7]Aug 18, 2007
    bry456 wrote:
    Thank you. That helps.

Which volume includes the parody of Michael McDonald driving around time to different studios to record vocals? In between his vocal recordings he walks outside the sound booth smokes and talks and then runs back in as soon as vocals are to be recorded

I imagine the sketch is probably not included or edited since it used the Christopher Cross song "Ride like the Wind" throughout. I've heard there is a lot of editing and cuts on the SCTV DVD sets.

Man, that was funny. You'll find that in Volume 1; I think it's episode 8.