Sea Hunt Forums

(ended 1961)

safety underwater

OLDERTVFAN

[1]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 7
    Just something I once read that pointed out the main flaw in the show. Your not supposed to go diving alone but since Mike is the only character they forgot that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bmoshier

[2]Nov 2, 2011
    • level: 46

OLDERTVFAN wrote:
    Just something I once read that pointed out the main flaw in the show. Your not supposed to go diving alone but since Mike is the only character they forgot that.

Yeah, I noticed that a lot. I've been thinking about losing weight and learning to skin dive after seeing the series. Living in Chicago, I suspect there are places to learn to skin dive, rent or buy equipment, and even clubs. I'm not sure, but with the lake I'd think there would be lots of opportunities.

As for the safety, it is what I read and heard, too. Of course, as a professional, he'd have to have a partner to do this on all jobs and maybe he just isn't that big enough of an outfit. Also maybe once you get enough experience you can go it alone, but regardless of your experience accidents happen and having a buddy can and will save your life. The series did (and continues to do) a dis-service in not explaining covering this fact. My suggestion is those showing the reruns should have some type of notice at the beginning on safety and maybe explain Mike is a professional, don't do this at home, etc (like on Myth Busters).

In any case, you're right.

bmoshier

[3]Dec 24, 2011

The "Sunken Car" episode is a great example of when Mike ends up needing a diving buddy. He's trapped and says, as he can't reach his knife he's going to drown - most likely in minutes. Fortunately, another diver happens along because he's one of the very few skin divers and would like to meet Mike and talk diving with him.

Yes, we can trust Mike to always come out just fine. Yet, for the rest of us we should have a diving buddy and hopefully when I start learning to dive (if, sigh, I get the chance), I'll have one.

bmoshier

[4]Jan 24, 2012

OLDERTVFAN wrote:

I'm watching the episode "Recovery" (season 1, episode 10) where an ICBM nose cone (6,000 lbs according to Mike) traps him on the ocean floor. Fortunately, he has a diving partner in this episode. Obviously, "Sea Hunt" wasn't suppose to have a co-star with Mike, so he dives alone in the series in many (but not all episodes).

Question: Anyone know if many professionals dive alone (say to save costs in their business)? If so, how do they handle safety?