Second City TV

Global (ended 1981)

Second City TV Fan Reviews (6)

7.4
  • An oasis of genuine humor in the vast wasteland of 70's television.

I look back upon the 1970's television environment,and for the most part, all I see is a vast empty desert with only a few oasis of genuinely entertaining never miss shows. Second City TV was one of them. Second City was a hoot and a half. Rarely in the history of television will you see accumulated such an enormously talented bunch of writers and performers all in one show! Skits and bits and characters that remain fondly in the memory literally decades after they were performed for the first time. Count Floyd was one of my favorites, I can remember a matinee movie T.V. host right here in the Twin Cities (that shall remain nameless) that blew it in real life as consistently as poor old Count Floyd did on Second City. God, I miss this kind of television.
  • this is one of the best shows to come out of Canada, and it made some big names out of people.

This show was great, I actually got to go to the Second City, in Toronto, and saw the pictures and everything and it was really cool. Just look at the names like John Candy, Eugene Levy, Dave Thomas, Kathrine O'hara, and Martin Short. I may be missing someone I'm not sure. They all became pretty famous, some just making movies that made fun of Candians, but they were good movies. This show was a skit show with really funny comedians, that could really do improv and characters well. This show paved the way for many other sketch comedy shows, most of them weren't of the same caliber though. This show was like Saturday Night Live, when it used to be funny, in fact SNL gets or used to get alot of their people from the Chicago second city.
  • This was a great late 70s Canadian version of SNL.

Just look at the cast? 90% of them went on to become major box office stars. Though its over 25 years old its still funny.

Its definitely better than SNL these days - I actually stopped watching SNL 15 years ago when the casts became sub par and the shows were putting me to sleep. Is it still on the air?

Definitely one of the better sketch comedy shows of the late 70s/early 80s. The episode where the networks go to war with each other using actual guns was hilarious. Count Floyd (Joe Flaherty) as a parody of Floyd the Barber from Andy Griffith was excellent. Bob and Doug McKenzie as the clueless Canadians obsesses with beer. So many memories.
  • A great skit tv show much like Saturday Night Live.

This was a group of comedians working in a Chicago comedy club situation in which they performed skits such as S N L. This was a comedy show with both Chicago and Canadian connections. Most of the comedians were Canadian and the show was first broadcast in Canada. The show was based in a Chicago comedy club know as second city. Second city is the nickname for Chicago after most of the city was rebuilt after the great fire. The fire is believed to have been started in a barn when a cow kicked over a lantern. The comedians that came out of this series were amazingly funny. John Candy, Eugene Levy and Rick Moranis just to name a few. This was a very funny show and is available on DVD. I would sugest to anyone that like SNL type shows to buy it.
  • A great comedy show very much like SNL.

This was a pretty good comedy television series. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity. This was a comedy show with both Chicago and Canadian connections. Most of the comedians were Canadian and the show was first broadcast in Canada. The show was based in a Chicago comedy club know as second city. Second city is the nickname for Chicago after most of the city was rebuilt after the great fire. The fire is believed to have been started in a barn when a cow kicked over a lantern. The comedians that came out of this series were amazingly funny. John Candy, Eugene Levy and Rick Moranis just to name a few.
  • A very funny variety comedy show.

As some others have said, this show is very much like Saturday Night Live. it was very funny and i loved to watch it. If anyone knows where i can find it please let me know. I can remember one episode in paticular that i would like to see again and show my kids. Two of the actors were playing a married couple and they had their son in a cage because they wanted to give him back or something like that. All I remember for sure is that it was really, really funny. If you know which epiosde i am talking about send me a PM with the information please.