Second Sight

BBC (ended 2001)

TheOldBill

Second Sight Fan Reviews (2)

7.1
  • Clive Owen is riveting as a detective chief inspector losing his sight in this moody, noirish series.

Anyone who claims Clive Owen can't act should watch this show - and think again. He's riveting as Ross Tanner, a tough detective chief inspector who suddenly discovers he is suffering from a rare eye condition. As he starts to go blind, he tries desperately to hide his condition from his colleagues. For me I must say the main interest lies in this personal dilemma rather than the mysteries themselves, where it is often (not always) pretty obvious whodunit. The moody, noirish camerawork and the special effects to suggest Tanner's blurred vision and hallucinations add to the atmosphere, as does the music, though I could do without the corny song I Can See Clearly Now turning up in quite so many scenes. But the best thing of all is the sharp dialogue, with loads of quotable lines. It's a pity that there were so few episodes made - though, realistically, it would be hard to make Tanner's struggle to cover up his disability last for any length of time. And it's also a shame that the interesting romantic situation, with Tanner falling for DI Catherine Tully (Claire Skinner), who helps him to cover up his failing eyesight, doesn't last for the whole series.