Secret Diary of a Call Girl Forums

Showtime (ended 2011)

For the U.S. viewers...

bluedahlia_xx

[1]Feb 12, 2009
    • level: 3

rather than bump up every single episode/etc. thread where the UK people were pretty active, i thought i'd start a forum devoted to u.s. viewers of the show who want to discuss things. i can't believe only three people on tv.com (i think it was three people who commented in the other thread since the u.s. airing of season 2) are the only people watching the show that might want to talk about it, and this being one of my favorite shows i'm hoping more people might want to discuss.

but then again, maybe this new topic is superfluous. at any rate, i thought a u.s. viewer specific forum/topic might maybe(?) encourage more people to chat about the show??? EVERYONE, including UK viewers are free to chat too--anyone really, just keep in mind we're behind. (not sure about the rest of the world.)

so i've already said something to this effect, but i am loving season 2 so far. the thing i liked most about the show was the duality it presented with hannah/belle, and balancing her very particular career with her personal life. i felt like they should have done more with that, and i feel like this season they are really taking advantage of it and as a result the drama-lite is more satisfying so far.

also, i usually don't like british humor (just not my cup of tea), but i find the show really funny. i think it's very sharply written with some pretty good comedic timing (and performances in general.)

i think billie piper does a fantastic job. apparently, she is famous in the UK (largely from her days as a teen pop idol), but not very well known here. (and i guess no one is watching her show here...lol.) my roommate is spending a year here, and she is from the UK, and it's interesting to hear her take on it and on billie piper. i guess billie piper might be a relative of hilary duff (i use the word "relative" metaphorically) meaning a teen idol who is finding herself in a much more adult role. (duff has several"adult" roles TBR and that seems to be the way she's heading.)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CoffeeCake225

[2]Jul 23, 2009
    • level: 15
    i live in the us and i recently started watching this show and finished the second season today. i love this show, i mainly found out about it because i loved Billie Piper in doctor who, i started watching it because i found out that Callum Blue was in the second season and i loved him in Dead like me, hes a fantastic actor. im excited to see where the show i going after that finale.

tvgirl17

[3]Mar 18, 2010
    • level: 15

Well this thread hasn't been touched in a while, so I thought I'd give it and the show some love from an American who just finished watching series 3 on Showtime. I started watching when it came to the States because 1) I love television, and 2) I was intrigued to see Billie Piper go from Rose Tyler to Hannah/Belle. Also 3) I just thought it was an interesting concept and I wanted to see how they handled it. I've really grown to enjoy it, although it's so hard to get into British shows that last 8 episodes a season and then go away. But it makes the most of what it has.

I never was that into Callum Blue's character, you just knew that wasn't going to end well. But now he's Zod, so things are going fine for him. I've been a big supporter of Ben so the series 3 finale had me squeeling like a fangirl. I've also enjoyed the inclusion of Bambi (aka Gloria, that was hilarious) andher relationship with Byron while Hannah was trying to make it work with Duncan, or as I call him, skinny English Eric McCormack. I liked having Hannah's sister around for a bit as it raised dialogue about their respective lifestyles, having someone with a classic "normal" life around.

I've been curious what it's like to watch this show in the UK, where there would be a media storm around it since Billie Piper is apparently quite famous (before being Rose Tyler), and since she went from a family show like Doctor Who to this one. I think she is a fantastic actress. Another interesting thought is what it's like there now since Brooke Magnati (I think that's what her name is) came out as the real Belle de Jour. I didn't see this news anywhere in US news, but saw it on a UK news site last year and really enjoyed hearing from the lady herself.

Edited on 03/18/2010 3:46pm

JamesCGW

[4]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 2

I think you are absolutely correct, it is a very good show and I hope they continue it here as well as the UK. I do have to say that a friend of mine in the UK records the show, since she works when it is on.

JamesCGW

[5]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 2

Almost forgot to ask, has anyone watched the show (interview) between Billie Piper and Dr Brooke Magnanti? It was interesting to watch and I think Billie has brought the character to life better than anyone else could have done. I have been a fan of hers since Doctor Who and also like here singing.