TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

Comparison to friends

Megaman200798

[21]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 13
    Nothing pwns something
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vandalayinc

[22]Nov 15, 2007
    • level: 3

Seinfeld, in my opinion, is the all-time best sitcom.

I personally do not like Friends. It's not a "chick" show, I just think there are some problems with it. The biggest problem is that I can't stand the cast members (esp. Phoebe and Joey) excluding Chandler. Say if the show was called "Friend" and just showed Matthew Perry getting in crazy lil' antics, I may actually like it. The only reason I think someone wouldn't like Seinfeld is that itdoesn't progress much, you can watch an episode from the first season and then watch an episode in the seventh season and actually understand what is going on.

Edited on 11/15/2007 11:57pm

confusedboy24

[23]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 17
    After watching Seinfeld I wouldn't say it didn't have any progress, it's just more serial then some comedies. IMO one reason why some might be turned off is that it seems in one Season [of Seinfeld] it could have easily been wrapped up in 13 or even less episodes. But IMHO it's what makes Seinfeld great, a continuous storyline [not Season 1 or 2 of course] that never let you down [mostly from Season 3-7's perspective, I haven't seen Season 8 or 9 yet so can't say much of them yet.]

Darth_Stewie

[24]Nov 18, 2007
    • level: 7
    Seasons 8 & 9 are great its just that Larry David wasnt a writer anymore, so many people dislike that.

Megaman200798

[25]Nov 23, 2007
    Darth_Stewie wrote:
    Seasons 8 & 9 are great its just that Larry David wasnt a writer anymore, so many people dislike that.

Why?

drrdheroe

[26]Dec 6, 2007
    both friends and seinfeld are one of my fav. shows ever but i like friends the most because you get to care about those characters and i am a straight guy and let me tell you friends its NOT for chicks

Megaman200798

[27]Dec 6, 2007
    drrdheroe wrote:
    both friends and seinfeld are one of my fav. shows ever but i like friends the most because you get to care about those characters and i am a straight guy and let me tell you friends its NOT for chicks

Not for chicks? Who is it for?

sienster

[28]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 8
    drrdheroe wrote:

It caters to YUPPIES and well off white people in my opinion.

creedhigher

[29]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 4
    yes exactly!

frostzZ

[30]Dec 11, 2007
    • level: 5
    well actually in the year 2000,friends was the second most watched program between men aged 18-49...the first one is football *duuuh*...so it cant be a "CHICK"show.....as for ratings seinfeld reached the peak twice, friends only once..but in general friends ratings are much higher,seinfeld started to shine in the 4th season
    Edited on 12/11/2007 2:44pm

chriseternal

[31]Dec 11, 2007
    • level: 32
    There are some comparisons you can make between the two shows but in my opinion Seinfeld is funnier. I think Seinfeld is great for a laugh and Friends is better if you like some drama along with your comedy.

sienster

[32]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 8
    chriseternal wrote:
    There are some comparisons you can make between the two shows but in my opinion Seinfeld is funnier. I think Seinfeld is great for a laugh and Friends is better if you like some drama along with your comedy.

Exactly, I don't like dramedies. Sadly the best current show on network television, The Office, is turning into a dramedy!

OminousShadow87

[33]Dec 16, 2007
    • level: 6
    Friends is funny. Just not a fantastic show, I'd say 3.5 or 4 out of 5. Now Seinfeld, it's a 4.5/5 if not 5/5

seinfeld111690

[34]Dec 16, 2007
    • level: 25
    sienster wrote:
    chriseternal wrote:

Exactly, I don't like dramedies. Sadly the best current show on network television, The Office, is turning into a dramedy!

Which is why I don't watch that show, anymore. Of course there comedy becoming dry did not help at all.

I liked how Friends did the Dramady, though. They were able to pull it off. They had their drama scenes when it was necessary, but the show was anchored by its comedy.

AceJackson3

[35]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 2
    I've seen every episode of both shows (Seinfeld prob. each ep. 3-4 times) and can say confidently that Seinfeld is the funnier of the two. It is also more clever, better writing, better acting, better storylines, more character development. There are points in Friends where it is unrealistic, storylines seem forced, and they drag!--particulary early episodes of season 4...blah! Seinfeld seasons 4-9 are the best, but seasons 1-3 still have a few diamond in the rough episodes in them. I still watch atleast 3-5 Seinfeld episodes/week and whenever I catch it on TBS.

Here's my ranking...23/M

1)Seinfeld
    2)Friends
    3)King of Queens
    4)Curb Your Enthusiasm
    5)The Office

I've never been able to get into Cheers and I've prob. seen over 50 episodes from when I was younger and in syndication.

yousifaltaha

[36]Feb 1, 2008
    it really comes down to your personal preference...i personally adore friends,i like seinfeld.but i dont think it comes close to friends...you have to find what type of comedy you like

stellarchick86

[37]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 32
    Friends is my alltime fave show, but Im a girl. I grew up with Friends though so I think thats why, while Seinfeld I didnt get into until later. I can see why people would think its a girl show..its got more 'touching' storylines (babies, weddings, romantic stuff) and alot more drama and stuff going on where as with Seinfeld you can watch season 1 and then 9 and not be lost..and what not so I think guys would like Seinfeld more, its understandable, but the Friends forum has a lot of guys on there who I believe are straight lol. But I think they are about equal as far as epic show/best show in history type thing goesya know. Obviously asking on this site is going to get more people to say Seinfeld, and if you go to Friends they are going to say Friends so you cant really ask this question without bias.
    Edited on 02/02/2008 12:18am

pashotshot

[38]Feb 3, 2008
    • level: 15
    seinfeld111690 wrote:
    I personally like Friends. I really do not see how it is a show for only females.

As for what is better, I will go with Seinfeld, obviously.

Here is how I rank them:

1. Seinfeld
    2. Friends
    3. Cheers
    4. Frasier

Those are my top 4 shows of all time.

My dad likes Frasier. "Frasier has left the building." I wonder how it will sound when it becomes, "Seinfeld has left the building." I watch a lot of comedy shows, but Seinfeld is one of my favorites.

peas_and_corn

[39]Feb 24, 2008
    • level: 4
    Seinfeld = funny
    Friends = not funny
    CSI = bad sets

yousifaltaha

[40]Feb 25, 2008
    peas_and_corn wrote:
    Seinfeld = funny Friends = not funny CSI = bad sets
    I disagree with "frieds= not funny" well so do alot of people,but how does CSI have bad sets?!?!
    Edited on 02/25/2008 12:25am