Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

Comparison to friends

peas_and_corn

[41]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 4
    just being silly ;-)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

yousifaltaha

[42]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 7

Lool ok

Edited on 03/03/2008 3:13am

sadweekan

[43]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 3
    sienster wrote:
    drrdheroe wrote:
    both friends and seinfeld are one of my fav. shows ever but i like friends the most because you get to care about those characters and i am a straight guy and let me tell you friends its NOT for chicks

It caters to YUPPIES and well off white people in my opinion.

Ok seriously i didnt get a word from what you wrote,whats a yuppie and why white people exactly,care to explain?

sienster

[44]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 8
    Yuppies are young, urban professionals - see the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuppies

It caters to white people because everyone on the show is white. Coffee shops? Come on, definetely a white person hangout.

sadweekan

[45]Mar 3, 2008

aha cool word

and i dont know if coffee shop is a white poeple hangout but they had ALOT of diverse extras

stellarchick86

[46]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 32
    Yea I dont really think of one race when I think of coffee either..I had an African American ex coworker who was a coffee ADDICT. Every day she came into work with some sort of coffee. And Im white and I dont drink any at all. But whatever. I think they have coffee shops on these shows (Seinfeld, Friends) because 1- they were a popular hangout at the time and 2- its so they have a hangout but yet it doesnt have to be at a restaurant so they dont have to make food.

sienster

[47]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 8
    When I think of coffee shops I think of affluent people of all colors, but given the population - most are white. I am white and don't drink coffee either.

When I see "Friends" (not that I ever watch it) I just think back to all the preppy white college people that watched it when I was college - and I didn't care much for those people, so I guess that translated over to the show. They used to come over on Thursday night and invade my house because my roomate invited them over.

cutieflutie1216

[48]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 50

Grrr to all you Friends haters.

I think it is silly to try to compare two completely different shows. Seinfeld is not geared towards either gender. Although Friends has a larger female fanbase, it also has many male fans. And I don't see why we are debating ethnicity...

cute_poizon

[49]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 6
    Ok I'm a girl and I've seen all of the Friends episodes and all of the Seinfeld episodes countless times. My all time favorite sitcom is still Seinfeld, the show is just genius.

I think part of what seperates both of these shows is the humor. Friends contains more simple humor, like someone will say or do something stupid and you'll laugh. As where Seinfeld there's a bit more thought process involved, and it's almost like an inside joke, you have to "get it".

You also have to be somewhat older to watch the show and actually understand it, maybe over the age of 16 so that you have a general understanding about society and basically Life.

I know this sounds ignorant to say but I used to think that most people (not all) who didn't really get Seinfeld or didn't think it was funny were retarded or just less experienced individuals. Or just too ****ing serious. Haha.

john_boham

[50]Mar 28, 2008
    • level: 5

friends and seinfeld are both great I don´t believe they´re pointed to any sex my top five shows

1-Lost

2-Heroes

3-Friends

4-Seinfeld

5-House

yousifaltaha

[51]Apr 1, 2008
    cute_poizon wrote:
    Ok I'm a girl and I've seen all of the Friends episodes and all of the Seinfeld episodes countless times. My all time favorite sitcom is still Seinfeld, the show is just genius.

I think part of what seperates both of these shows is the humor. Friends contains more simple humor, like someone will say or do something stupid and you'll laugh. As where Seinfeld there's a bit more thought process involved, and it's almost like an inside joke, you have to "get it".

You also have to be somewhat older to watch the show and actually understand it, maybe over the age of 16 so that you have a general understanding about society and basically Life.

I know this sounds ignorant to say but I used to think that most people (not all) who didn't really get Seinfeld or didn't think it was funny were retarded or just less experienced individuals. Or just too ****ing serious. Haha.

I agree friends was aimed towards young people,but that doesn't mean its simple,i think its very witty and well written...the difference is that seinfeld depended on irony of the situations in real life thats why you have to keep up with the whole episode to understand.friends depends more on one-liners and very funny situations

sadweekan

[52]Apr 2, 2008
    cutieflutie1216 wrote:

Grrr to all you Friends haters.

I think it is silly to try to compare two completely different shows. Seinfeld is not geared towards either gender. Although Friends has a larger female fanbase, it also has many male fans. And I don't see why we are debating ethnicity...

ehh...i know many friends haters,thank God there are many seinfeld haters otherwise i'd kill myself lol (i love seinfeld though)

cute_poizon

[53]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 6
    yousifaltaha wrote:
    cute_poizon wrote:

I agree friends was aimed towards young people,but that doesn't mean its simple,i think its very witty and well written...the difference is that seinfeld depended on irony of the situations in real life thats why you have to keep up with the whole episode to understand.friends depends more on one-liners and very funny situations

Just because I said Friends is more simple doesn't mean I think it's less witty.

revbucky

[54]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 22
    Seinfeld, hands down. No comparison to me.

ScullySayer

[55]Aug 20, 2008

cute_poizon hit the nail on the head as to why I prefer Seinfeld. Friends's humour was always based around its jokes and one-liners whereas Seinfeld was more absurdist and surreal. I'm not saying that one type of humour's better than the other, but I think Seinfeld's humour was a lot more evolved and engaging, and so that's why it's always been my personal favourite.

In terms of race:

sadweekan wrote:
    and i dont know if coffee shop is a white poeple hangout but they had ALOT of diverse extras

For me, that exemplifies what set Friends and Seinfeld apart. Friends treated race as a total non-issue which mirrored its style of humour, blase and mostly inoffensive. Seinfeld, on the other hand, not only dared to bring up the issue of race and but actually handled it realistically. When George was paranoid that his black boss thought he was racist, or Elaine's attempts at figuring out whether she was in an interracial relationship... absolute GOLD.

Edited on 08/20/2008 9:29am

yousifaltaha

[56]Aug 21, 2008
    ScullySayer wrote:

cute_poizon hit the nail on the head as to why I prefer Seinfeld. Friends's humour was always based around its jokes and one-liners whereas Seinfeld was more absurdist and surreal. I'm not saying that one type of humour's better than the other, but I think Seinfeld's humour was a lot more evolved and engaging, and so that's why it's always been my personal favourite.

In terms of race:

sadweekan wrote:

For me, that exemplifies what set Friends and Seinfeld apart. Friends treated race as a total non-issue which mirrored its style of humour, blase and mostly inoffensive. Seinfeld, on the other hand, not only dared to bring up the issue of race and but actually handled it realistically. When George was paranoid that his black boss thought he was racist, or Elaine's attempts at figuring out whether she was in an interracial relationship... absolute GOLD.

Hmm..I always thought Friend's humour was more "situational" (if that's a word) they re-defined situation comedy -- the one liners played a part but the humour comes from the situations they fall in.

And I agree about Friends and Seinfeld, they handled the racial diversity very well, however, bits like when Jerry was monitoring Babu's restaurant then he pulled his T-shirt upwards (so he would seem like a Pakistani woman) that was kind of racist, also George's homophobia was not necessary, it was funny at times like when he visited the massage therapist

pashotshot

[57]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 15
    There's no comparison. I don't want to even think about watching Friends, although I've heard once that it lasted one season longer than Seinfeld.

frostzZ

[58]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 5
    Longevity doesn't mean anything..Baywatch lasted 11 years

pashotshot

[59]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 15
    So did M*A*S*H. But, there are some shorter shows that got more attention than Seinfeld, so, yes, I get your point.

hawksie

[60]Oct 19, 2008
    • level: 9
    I'm a straight male and I get more laughs from Friends than Seinfeld. I love both though. Cheers is OK, HATE Frasier.