Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

Comparison to friends

  • Avatar of peas_and_corn

    peas_and_corn

    [41]Feb 27, 2008
    • member since: 11/22/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 136
    just being silly ;-)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of yousifaltaha

    yousifaltaha

    [42]Mar 3, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/03
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 352

    Lool ok

    Edited on 03/03/2008 3:13am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sadweekan

    sadweekan

    [43]Mar 3, 2008
    • member since: 02/29/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 97
    sienster wrote:
    drrdheroe wrote:
    both friends and seinfeld are one of my fav. shows ever but i like friends the most because you get to care about those characters and i am a straight guy and let me tell you friends its NOT for chicks


    It caters to YUPPIES and well off white people in my opinion.


    Ok seriously i didnt get a word from what you wrote,whats a yuppie and why white people exactly,care to explain?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sienster

    sienster

    [44]Mar 3, 2008
    • member since: 02/02/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 667
    Yuppies are young, urban professionals - see the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuppies

    It caters to white people because everyone on the show is white. Coffee shops? Come on, definetely a white person hangout.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sadweekan

    sadweekan

    [45]Mar 3, 2008
    • member since: 02/29/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 97

    aha cool word

    and i dont know if coffee shop is a white poeple hangout but they had ALOT of diverse extras

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [46]Mar 3, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Yea I dont really think of one race when I think of coffee either..I had an African American ex coworker who was a coffee ADDICT. Every day she came into work with some sort of coffee. And Im white and I dont drink any at all. But whatever. I think they have coffee shops on these shows (Seinfeld, Friends) because 1- they were a popular hangout at the time and 2- its so they have a hangout but yet it doesnt have to be at a restaurant so they dont have to make food.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sienster

    sienster

    [47]Mar 4, 2008
    • member since: 02/02/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 667
    When I think of coffee shops I think of affluent people of all colors, but given the population - most are white. I am white and don't drink coffee either.

    When I see "Friends" (not that I ever watch it) I just think back to all the preppy white college people that watched it when I was college - and I didn't care much for those people, so I guess that translated over to the show. They used to come over on Thursday night and invade my house because my roomate invited them over.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cutieflutie1216

    cutieflutie1216

    [48]Mar 26, 2008
    • member since: 04/10/07
    • level: 50
    • rank: Airwolf
    • posts: 2,092

    Grrr to all you Friends haters.

    I think it is silly to try to compare two completely different shows. Seinfeld is not geared towards either gender. Although Friends has a larger female fanbase, it also has many male fans. And I don't see why we are debating ethnicity...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cute_poizon

    cute_poizon

    [49]Mar 27, 2008
    • member since: 11/09/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 135
    Ok I'm a girl and I've seen all of the Friends episodes and all of the Seinfeld episodes countless times. My all time favorite sitcom is still Seinfeld, the show is just genius.

    I think part of what seperates both of these shows is the humor. Friends contains more simple humor, like someone will say or do something stupid and you'll laugh. As where Seinfeld there's a bit more thought process involved, and it's almost like an inside joke, you have to "get it".

    You also have to be somewhat older to watch the show and actually understand it, maybe over the age of 16 so that you have a general understanding about society and basically Life.

    I know this sounds ignorant to say but I used to think that most people (not all) who didn't really get Seinfeld or didn't think it was funny were retarded or just less experienced individuals. Or just too ****ing serious. Haha.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of john_boham

    john_boham

    [50]Mar 28, 2008
    • member since: 03/19/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 207

    friends and seinfeld are both great I don´t believe they´re pointed to any sex my top five shows

    1-Lost

    2-Heroes

    3-Friends

    4-Seinfeld

    5-House

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of yousifaltaha

    yousifaltaha

    [51]Apr 1, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/03
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 352
    cute_poizon wrote:
    Ok I'm a girl and I've seen all of the Friends episodes and all of the Seinfeld episodes countless times. My all time favorite sitcom is still Seinfeld, the show is just genius.

    I think part of what seperates both of these shows is the humor. Friends contains more simple humor, like someone will say or do something stupid and you'll laugh. As where Seinfeld there's a bit more thought process involved, and it's almost like an inside joke, you have to "get it".

    You also have to be somewhat older to watch the show and actually understand it, maybe over the age of 16 so that you have a general understanding about society and basically Life.

    I know this sounds ignorant to say but I used to think that most people (not all) who didn't really get Seinfeld or didn't think it was funny were retarded or just less experienced individuals. Or just too ****ing serious. Haha.


    I agree friends was aimed towards young people,but that doesn't mean its simple,i think its very witty and well written...the difference is that seinfeld depended on irony of the situations in real life thats why you have to keep up with the whole episode to understand.friends depends more on one-liners and very funny situations
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sadweekan

    sadweekan

    [52]Apr 2, 2008
    • member since: 02/29/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 97
    cutieflutie1216 wrote:

    Grrr to all you Friends haters.

    I think it is silly to try to compare two completely different shows. Seinfeld is not geared towards either gender. Although Friends has a larger female fanbase, it also has many male fans. And I don't see why we are debating ethnicity...



    ehh...i know many friends haters,thank God there are many seinfeld haters otherwise i'd kill myself lol (i love seinfeld though)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cute_poizon

    cute_poizon

    [53]Apr 11, 2008
    • member since: 11/09/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 135
    yousifaltaha wrote:
    cute_poizon wrote:
    Ok I'm a girl and I've seen all of the Friends episodes and all of the Seinfeld episodes countless times. My all time favorite sitcom is still Seinfeld, the show is just genius.

    I think part of what seperates both of these shows is the humor. Friends contains more simple humor, like someone will say or do something stupid and you'll laugh. As where Seinfeld there's a bit more thought process involved, and it's almost like an inside joke, you have to "get it".

    You also have to be somewhat older to watch the show and actually understand it, maybe over the age of 16 so that you have a general understanding about society and basically Life.

    I know this sounds ignorant to say but I used to think that most people (not all) who didn't really get Seinfeld or didn't think it was funny were retarded or just less experienced individuals. Or just too ****ing serious. Haha.


    I agree friends was aimed towards young people,but that doesn't mean its simple,i think its very witty and well written...the difference is that seinfeld depended on irony of the situations in real life thats why you have to keep up with the whole episode to understand.friends depends more on one-liners and very funny situations


    Just because I said Friends is more simple doesn't mean I think it's less witty.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of revbucky

    revbucky

    [54]Jul 24, 2008
    • member since: 06/27/08
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 343
    Seinfeld, hands down. No comparison to me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ScullySayer

    ScullySayer

    [55]Aug 20, 2008
    • member since: 02/15/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 42

    cute_poizon hit the nail on the head as to why I prefer Seinfeld. Friends's humour was always based around its jokes and one-liners whereas Seinfeld was more absurdist and surreal. I'm not saying that one type of humour's better than the other, but I think Seinfeld's humour was a lot more evolved and engaging, and so that's why it's always been my personal favourite.

    In terms of race:

    sadweekan wrote:
    and i dont know if coffee shop is a white poeple hangout but they had ALOT of diverse extras

    For me, that exemplifies what set Friends and Seinfeld apart. Friends treated race as a total non-issue which mirrored its style of humour, blase and mostly inoffensive. Seinfeld, on the other hand, not only dared to bring up the issue of race and but actually handled it realistically. When George was paranoid that his black boss thought he was racist, or Elaine's attempts at figuring out whether she was in an interracial relationship... absolute GOLD.

    Edited on 08/20/2008 9:29am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of yousifaltaha

    yousifaltaha

    [56]Aug 21, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/03
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 352
    ScullySayer wrote:

    cute_poizon hit the nail on the head as to why I prefer Seinfeld. Friends's humour was always based around its jokes and one-liners whereas Seinfeld was more absurdist and surreal. I'm not saying that one type of humour's better than the other, but I think Seinfeld's humour was a lot more evolved and engaging, and so that's why it's always been my personal favourite.

    In terms of race:

    sadweekan wrote:
    and i dont know if coffee shop is a white poeple hangout but they had ALOT of diverse extras

    For me, that exemplifies what set Friends and Seinfeld apart. Friends treated race as a total non-issue which mirrored its style of humour, blase and mostly inoffensive. Seinfeld, on the other hand, not only dared to bring up the issue of race and but actually handled it realistically. When George was paranoid that his black boss thought he was racist, or Elaine's attempts at figuring out whether she was in an interracial relationship... absolute GOLD.



    Hmm..I always thought Friend's humour was more "situational" (if that's a word) they re-defined situation comedy -- the one liners played a part but the humour comes from the situations they fall in.

    And I agree about Friends and Seinfeld, they handled the racial diversity very well, however, bits like when Jerry was monitoring Babu's restaurant then he pulled his T-shirt upwards (so he would seem like a Pakistani woman) that was kind of racist, also George's homophobia was not necessary, it was funny at times like when he visited the massage therapist
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pashotshot

    pashotshot

    [57]Sep 21, 2008
    • member since: 06/08/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 3,849
    There's no comparison. I don't want to even think about watching Friends, although I've heard once that it lasted one season longer than Seinfeld.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of frostzZ

    frostzZ

    [58]Sep 22, 2008
    • member since: 11/05/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 205
    Longevity doesn't mean anything..Baywatch lasted 11 years
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pashotshot

    pashotshot

    [59]Sep 25, 2008
    • member since: 06/08/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 3,849
    So did M*A*S*H. But, there are some shorter shows that got more attention than Seinfeld, so, yes, I get your point.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hawksie

    hawksie

    [60]Oct 19, 2008
    • member since: 07/04/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 666
    I'm a straight male and I get more laughs from Friends than Seinfeld. I love both though. Cheers is OK, HATE Frasier.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.