Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

How did Kramer acquire his money to live off?

seeker1961

[1]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 1

Do we know how Kramer acquired his money? I remember in an earlier episode George says something like Kramer falling ass-backwards into money, so I asume he inherited it. I have seen most episodes but not all and was wondering if this is spelled out in more detail anywhere. Thanks.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sienster

[2]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 8
    I don't think they ever really explain it. He does have his little inventions, schemes and things, but that wouldn't help him much. It's kind of the same with the feud between Jerry and Newman, we never really know why.

stellarchick86

[3]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 32
    Well I think with Jerry/Newman, to me anyway, it was explained by what was going on throughout the series. Newman is a little bit jealous of Jerry (has friends, has a pretty nice career (Id much rather be a comedian on the road going to different places than deliver mail) and also we find out later on hes developed a crush on Elaine so he may be jealous of Jerry for spending so much time with her. Newman on the other hand is just plain annoying and kind of weird so I think he rubs Jerry the wrong way (plus with how Newman is about Jerry, Im sure he doesnt exactly treat him like gold). So eventually over time they just started to resent eachother.

However, we never do find out about Kramer but I think thats one of those things about they show we not SUPPOSED to know. Kindof like on shows how they reference people and we never see them? (Maris on Frasier is one I can think of off the top of my head). I just believer Kramer was retired and did LITTLE things like work at the Bagel Shop, Kramamerica, etc to get a little bit of money here and there. But for the most part thats how he has ANY money. Everything else were not "supposed" to know.

sienster

[4]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Well I think with Jerry/Newman, to me anyway, it was explained by what was going on throughout the series. Newman is a little bit jealous of Jerry (has friends, has a pretty nice career (Id much rather be a comedian on the road going to different places than deliver mail) and also we find out later on hes developed a crush on Elaine so he may be jealous of Jerry for spending so much time with her. Newman on the other hand is just plain annoying and kind of weird so I think he rubs Jerry the wrong way (plus with how Newman is about Jerry, Im sure he doesnt exactly treat him like gold). So eventually over time they just started to resent eachother.

Yeah, but Kramer spends time with Elaine too - and they're buds. Also - George too - and he has a decent career with the Yankees.

There's just no background on why they don't get along. It's fine with me - I don't need an explanation, but I'm still curious!

GameWiz1000

[5]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 25

sienster wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Yeah, but Kramer spends time with Elaine too - and they're buds. Also - George too - and he has a decent career with the Yankees. There's just no background on why they don't get along. It's fine with me - I don't need an explanation, but I'm still curious!

Wayne Knight explains it here. Basically, he says no one likes Newman. Seinfeld's character is just the only one who expresses his dislike for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRP8S1C6T4k

As for Kramer, I don't think there's an explanation. That's what makes his character all the more hilarious. He free-loads off of Jerry. That could be a way he manages to survive.

Edited on 08/29/2008 11:34am
    Edited 2 total times.

stellarchick86

[6]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 32

sienster wrote:
    Yeah, but Kramer spends time with Elaine too - and they're buds. Also - George too - and he has a decent career with the Yankees. There's just no background on why they don't get along. It's fine with me - I don't need an explanation, but I'm still curious!

Well the career thing Ill give you, it probably doesnt play much of a factor really, but maybe Newman knows that George and Kramer are just friends with her (plus Newman even said 'I cant stand you Costanza' when George wanted him to get calzones for his boss and I dont think thats because of Elaine but because hes friends with Jerry and doesnt give Newman the time of day otherwise) and Kramer/Newman are friends, as far as I can tell, so I dont think the 'jealousy factor' plays into it with him really.

But I mean it could be anything like you said, they dont give any sort of info on it. I think it may just be that Newman is annoying and weird like everyone thinks he is, and he was probably the kid in HS who the more people treated him badly (because he was so weird) the more he hated everyone else because he thought he was better than them (instead of being depressed and wishing he had friends).

Edited on 08/29/2008 9:56pm

OnePieceFan95

[7]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 3
    This question is life's ultimate question

scotchex2

[8]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 10
    OnePieceFan95 wrote:
    This question is life's ultimate question

I'm glad they never explained. Funnier that way.

Darth_Stewie

[9]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 7

I never reallo thought about the reason Jerry and Newman hated each other, but for me it was funny partly because they never explain it. but let's say the reason for Newman is jealousy, he didn't mind George and Kramer's realtioship with her becasue he knew they were only friends, but he knew Jerry dated her, so that probably could contribuited.

and for Kramer, he spmply found money one way of the other, for instance betting.

TomBosley11

[11]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 5

He's just Kramer some of his weird ideas get him money, like the coffee table book movie. But alot don't ex: Papies make you own pie.

In my opinion don't ask! It's alot funnier that way.