Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

Mistake in episode

sienster

[1]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 8

I noticed this one of the first times I watched it, but had forgotten about it. It occurs in "The Millenium" episode. Right at the end of the show when Jerry is talking to Newman about Newman's party:

JERRY: By the way Newman, I'm just curious. When you booked the hotel, did you
    book it for the millennium New Year?

NEWMAN: (smug) As a matter of fact, I did.

JERRY: Oh, that's interesting, because as everyone knows, since there was no
    year zero, the millennium doesn't begin until the year two-thousand and one.
    Which would make your party, one year late, and thus, quite lame.

Shouldn't he have said that his party would have been one year early?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vandalayinc

[2]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 3
    well, from my understanding of the quote, it's saying that newman has the place booked from the year 2000-2001. His intentions were trying to get it booked for the year 1999-2000, making it his party he booked one year late.

sienster

[3]Jun 29, 2007
    Well, if he booked it for 2000-2001 New Year, then according to Jerry it would be the millenium New Year. JERRY: Oh, that's interesting, because as everyone knows, since there was no year zero, the millennium doesn't begin until the year two-thousand and one. Which would make your party, one year late, and thus, quite lame.

seinfeld111690

[4]Jun 30, 2007
    • level: 25
    Its very confusing. The fact of the matter is that Newman booked it for '00-'01, and meant to book it for '99-'00. Maybe the writers did slip up, even Seinfeld isn't perfection.

sluggmunki_tx

[5]Jun 30, 2007
    • level: 41
    I've noticed it myself and still a little puzzled about it.

itscrazyman

[6]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 4
    Yeah I have caught that too, it doesn't make much sense. On another note, I cannot think of which episode George leaps over a puddle and someone calls him a Nancy (I believe?), I'm thinking it's The Van Buren Boys episode but I could be wrong. If anyone has knowledge of this, I thank you.

sienster

[7]Jul 6, 2007
    The episode you're thinking of is, "The Note". Some kids call him a "Mary" when he jumps over a puddle and outstretches his arms.

GarrisonSkunk

[8]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 27
    Or might it be the episode "The Pothole" in which George loses his keys with the plastic Phil Rizzuto head? If i remember correctly he loses them when he jumps over the hole.

sienster

[9]Jul 9, 2007
    GarrisonSkunk wrote:
    Or might it be the episode "The Pothole" in which George loses his keys with the plastic Phil Rizzuto head? If i remember correctly he loses them when he jumps over the hole.

No, with that one he tries to "Stick the landing". No one called him anything.

itscrazyman

[10]Jul 9, 2007
    So "The Note"? Thank you Sienster.

suplex2000

[11]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 11
    sienster wrote:

I agree with the "One Year Early" suggestion as well. Newman scheduled the party for December 31st of 1999, and it should have been set for 12/31/2000, according to Jerry's explanation.

SunsprayHoney

[12]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 12
    suplex2000 wrote:
    sienster wrote:

I agree with the "One Year Early" suggestion as well. Newman scheduled the party for December 31st of 1999, and it should have been set for 12/31/2000, according to Jerry's explanation.

Wait, what? That's not what I got out of it at all. 99-00 is the one that Newman wants. But he booked 00-01, which is one year late. How is that confusing people?

sienster

[13]Jul 11, 2007
    SunsprayHoney wrote:
    suplex2000 wrote:
    sienster wrote:

Wait, what? That's not what I got out of it at all. 99-00 is the one that Newman wants. But he booked 00-01, which is one year late. How is that confusing people?

Jerry asks him if he booked it for the millenium New Year, which I assume is 99-00, because in the next sentence he says: "Oh, that's interesting, because as everyone knows, since there was no year zero, the millennium doesn't begin until the year two-thousand and one." Doesn't that imply that Newman booked it a year early? But instead he says: "Which would make your party, one year late, and thus, quite lame." It should be one year early, not late.

SunsprayHoney

[14]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 12
    sienster wrote:
    SunsprayHoney wrote:
    suplex2000 wrote:
    sienster wrote:

Jerry asks him if he booked it for the millenium New Year, which I assume is 99-00, because in the next sentence he says: "Oh, that's interesting, because as everyone knows, since there was no year zero, the millennium doesn't begin until the year two-thousand and one." Doesn't that imply that Newman booked it a year early? But instead he says: "Which would make your party, one year late, and thus, quite lame." It should be one year early, not late.

Eh, really? I always assumed Newman WANTED 99-00 but Jerry was informing him that he actually booked 00-01, thus making it one year late.

Now I'm actually interested in this...

seinfeld111690

[15]Jul 17, 2007
    • level: 25
    SunsprayHoney wrote:
    Eh, really? I always assumed Newman WANTED 99-00 but Jerry was informing him that he actually booked 00-01, thus making it one year late.

That is what I always though. So Newmans party was a year late.

sienster

[16]Jul 18, 2007
    I think I see what you guys are saying and it makes more sense now, even though it's still confusing as hell.

scottieGGGG

[17]Jul 24, 2007
    • level: 16

I've always considered it to be an error.

My understanding of the scene. Newman... like many people during that time... believed that the new millennium would begin on Jan 1, 2000. However, this is not true. The year 2000 was the last year of the previous millennium, so to celebrate a new millennium, you'd want your party on Dec 31, 2000... to ring in Jan 1, 2001. Newman has booked the wrong date. His party is a year too soon.... thus Jerry's statement that it's "late" doesn't make any sense.

Despite seven years later.. if anyone's still confused.. here's the way I was able to explain to many people. Imagine you're in a summer baseball league that has seasons which are five weeks long. So... week 1 is the first week... week 2 is the second..etc..etc. On the sunday of week 5, you're not done with the season yet. You have to finish that week too to complete the entire season. If you wanted to celebrate the end of the season.. you'd do it on saturday of week 5.

So.. now think about years. A millennium is 1000 years. Year 1 is the first... year 2 is the second..etc..etc. (like Jerry said... there is no year 0). So... on Jan 1, 2000... you are entering the final year of the current millennium (like the final week of the baseball season). To celebrate the end of the millennium and ring in the next one, your party would be the end of 2000. The switch from 00-01 was the right date... (and I hadgreat time that night :-)

Hope that helps anyone still confused.

sienster

[18]Jul 24, 2007
    I think that Jerry asked Newman if he booked it for the millenium new year which we can assume would be 2000-2001, since he states the millenium doesn't start until 2001 (since there was no year zero). He answers yes to this question. So he booked it one year late. I have finally seen the light!

Darth_Stewie

[19]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 7
    i always though that the whole conversation was right and the only mistake is that jerry says late instead of early. the only question that would come to my mind is why they didnt fix it if it was like that.

pappy97

[20]Jul 29, 2008
    seinfeld111690 wrote:
    SunsprayHoney wrote:

That is what I always though. So Newmans party was a year late.

But that ignores the previous line, "Oh, that's interesting, because as everyone knows, since there was no year zero, the millennium doesn't begin until the year two-thousand and one."

This line implies that Jerry is telling Newman that Newman messed up by booking a party for 99-00 New years and NOT 00-01 New Years.

That's why we all know it's an error when Jerry says "too late," it should have been too early.

Newman, in 78, books the Millenium New Year, ACCORDING TO IDIOT POP CULTURE. 99-00 New Years.

but Jerry informs him that 01 is when the millenium starts, so thus Newmanium would be one year too EARLY, and quite lame.

The line as said doesn't make sense because it would mean that newman actually booked the actual millenium new year, but although jerry concedes this is true, idiots celebrated 99-00 somehow making Newman's party lame. It just doesn't make sense. Doesn't make sense to have Jerry inform Newman about the REAL millenium (As opposed to the pop culture millenium), and then say his party would be too late. It's too early and they messed up and it takes away from the humor, unfortunately.