Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

Mistake in episode

pappy97

[21]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 4
    Bottom line, Jerry explains the real Millenium. That implies Newman booked 99-00.

Thus the lameness is one year too early. One year too late would not be "quite lame" because Jerry JUST SAID THE REAL NEW YEAR begins in 2001.

Think about it people.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pappy97

[22]Jul 29, 2008
    Here is proof Newman booked for Dec 31, 1999.

"KRAMER: I gotta invite Jerry. He's my buddy.

NEWMAN: That he may be. But he's outta my life, starting in the year
    two-thousand. For me, the next millennium must be, Jerry-free!"

Newman thinks the new millenium starts in 2000.

Later Jerry Corrects him:

"JERRY: Oh, that's interesting, because as everyone knows, since there was no
    year zero, the millennium doesn't begin until the year two-thousand and one."

And then Jerry says

"Which would make your party, one year late, and thus, quite lame."

Jerry should have said one year too early and thus quite lame. It's pretty clear, I don't know why people defend the incorrect line so much. I love Seinfeld, but it's wrong. Flat out wrong. The whole point of the line was for Jerry to point out to Newman that the millenium actually started in 2001 and not 2000, thus Newman booked his party for one year too early (Dec. 99 instead of Dec. 00).

sienster

[23]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 8
    Thanks pappy! Did you notice this before this thread? I totally agree with your point and now it's hard for me to see it the other way (like I could after someone else explained it differently). I'd love to ask the writers and see if they agree that it was a mistake.

The key phrase is when Jerry says, "doesn't begin until" - which implies that Newman booked it early - not late!

sadweekan

[24]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 3
    pappy97 wrote:

And then Jerry says

Jerry should have said one year too early and thus quite lame. It's pretty clear, I don't know why people defend the incorrect line so much. I love Seinfeld, but it's wrong. Flat out wrong. The whole point of the line was for Jerry to point out to Newman that the millenium actually started in 2001 and not 2000, thus Newman booked his party for one year too early (Dec. 99 instead of Dec. 00).

perfect explanation but i think you are wrong, either that or im really tired.

if newman booked 99-00 and pop culture celebrates 99-00 then why would newman get angry.

here is what i think happened..newman called the hotel and booked it for the millenium year (newman thought 99-00 and whoever booked knows its 00-01), THUS jerry asked did you BOOK ON THE MILLENIUM NEW YEAR..which is 00-01 he said yes.

"NEWMAN: That he may be. But he's outta my life, starting in the year
    two-thousand. For me, the next millennium must be, Jerry-free!""

this is a proof that newman thinks its 99-00 but there was a misunderstanding between newman and the person who makes the reservations..

again either that or im really tired lol

pappy97

[25]Jul 30, 2008
    sienster wrote:
    Thanks pappy! Did you notice this before this thread? I totally agree with your point and now it's hard for me to see it the other way (like I could after someone else explained it differently). I'd love to ask the writers and see if they agree that it was a mistake.

The key phrase is when Jerry says, "doesn't begin until" - which implies that Newman booked it early - not late!

I noticed this WHEN IT FIRST AIRED. I found this thread after watching the ep again for the umpteenth time and it still bothers me. You are 100% correct.

pappy97

[26]Jul 30, 2008

sadweekan wrote:
    perfect explanation but i think you are wrong, either that or im really tired. if newman booked 99-00 and pop culture celebrates 99-00 then why would newman get angry. here is what i think happened..newman called the hotel and booked it for the millenium year (newman thought 99-00 and whoever booked knows its 00-01), THUS jerry asked did you BOOK ON THE MILLENIUM NEW YEAR..which is 00-01 he said yes. "NEWMAN: That he may be. But he's outta my life, starting in the year two-thousand. For me, the next millennium must be, Jerry-free!"" this is a proof that newman thinks its 99-00 but there was a misunderstanding between newman and the person who makes the reservations.. again either that or im really tired lol

Newman would get mad because Jerry proved him to be wrong about the ACTUAL millennium.

You said you think in 78 Newman called the hotel and booked it for "millennium" and that whoever booked it knows it was 00-01. Problem with that is considering pop culture celebrated millennium 99-00, why would we think this hotel booked the millennium new year for 00-01?

sienster

[27]Jul 30, 2008
    sadweekan wrote:
    pappy97 wrote:

And then Jerry says

perfect explanation but i think you are wrong, either that or im really tired.

if newman booked 99-00 and pop culture celebrates 99-00 then why would newman get angry.

here is what i think happened..newman called the hotel and booked it for the millenium year (newman thought 99-00 and whoever booked knows its 00-01), THUS jerry asked did you BOOK ON THE MILLENIUM NEW YEAR..which is 00-01 he said yes.

"NEWMAN: That he may be. But he's outta my life, starting in the year
    two-thousand. For me, the next millennium must be, Jerry-free!""

this is a proof that newman thinks its 99-00 but there was a misunderstanding between newman and the person who makes the reservations..

again either that or im really tired lol

But how would Jerry know what dates the person at the hotel booked Newman for?

sadweekan

[28]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 3
    pappy97 wrote:

sadweekan wrote:
    perfect explanation but i think you are wrong, either that or im really tired. if newman booked 99-00 and pop culture celebrates 99-00 then why would newman get angry. here is what i think happened..newman called the hotel and booked it for the millenium year (newman thought 99-00 and whoever booked knows its 00-01), THUS jerry asked did you BOOK ON THE MILLENIUM NEW YEAR..which is 00-01 he said yes. "NEWMAN: That he may be. But he's outta my life, starting in the year two-thousand. For me, the next millennium must be, Jerry-free!"" this is a proof that newman thinks its 99-00 but there was a misunderstanding between newman and the person who makes the reservations.. again either that or im really tired lol

Newman would get mad because Jerry proved him to be wrong about the ACTUAL millennium.

You said you think in 78 Newman called the hotel and booked it for "millennium" and that whoever booked it knows it was 00-01. Problem with that is considering pop culture celebrated millennium 99-00, why would we think this hotel booked the millennium new year for 00-01?

So what if Jerry proved Newman is wrong about the millenium, it's not a reason for him to be angry, besides when Jerry added that Newman's party will be early/late that's what made Newman angry, then if Jerry knows that pop culture celebrates 99-00 why would he tell him that his party is early/late

"But how would Jerry know what dates the person at the hotel booked Newman for?"

Not necessarily he knew, he was just playing on Newman's misguided view of the millenium actual date, and again why would he tell him that his party will be lame if Newman booked the date that matters to pop culture

stellarchick86

[29]Jul 31, 2008
    • level: 32
    You guys are confusing me...
    but the point is, is that Newman booked it for 99-00 and the actual millenium was for 00-01 so he would be early NOT LATE. So Seinster is correct.

sienster

[30]Aug 1, 2008
    Again, I would love to get ahold of the writer's to ask them about this.

stellarchick86

[31]Aug 1, 2008
    There are some other things that I noticed/didnt get that they mentioned that was some sort of error/weird thing.

In "The Butter Shave" I believe it was, Bania got his own tv pilot or at least was in talks for it (Jerry was talkin about how Bania keeps riding his coattails)..then it was never mentioned again. I dont even think Bania did another episode after that..

And in "The Summer Of George" I believe it was, when Elaine was having arguments with Molly Shannens character (I forget what her name was), didnt M.S.'s character work with Elaine? At least temporarily? And then when Elaine plays the videotape for the cops, and shes naming off all the places she will find her, she goes "she must have a blueprint of the building or something" Well why would she need that if she works there? If you go into any office, you will be able to see the kitchen, copy machine, etc so why would you need a BP? I didnt get that lol.

SunsprayHoney

[32]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 12
    I still stand by what I said last year, Newman booked 00-01 on ACCIDENT and Jerry informed him his party is one year too late.

As someone else pointed out, if his party was one year early why would Newman care? If everybody's celebrating 99-00 then he'd be glad to be one year early.

stellarchick86

[33]Aug 5, 2008
    SunsprayHoney wrote:
    if his party was one year early why would Newman care? If everybody's celebrating 99-00 then he'd be glad to be one year early.

I thought the point was that people will be celebrating it 1 year later, no ?

SunsprayHoney

[34]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 12
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    SunsprayHoney wrote:
    if his party was one year early why would Newman care? If everybody's celebrating 99-00 then he'd be glad to be one year early.

I thought the point was that people will be celebrating it 1 year later, no ?

No, that's just silly. Newman would know everybody is celebrating it 99-00, not 00-01.

stellarchick86

[35]Jan 30, 2009
    I think I found another mistake like this but Im not sure and I didnt want to put up a whole other thread for it. I was watching "The English Patient" episode and in the scene where Elaine is talking to those NY women they say "its even better the 2nd time" after they had seen it again, and Elaine goes "what- did they make it longer?" Well shouldnt it be "Did they make it shorter" because if Elaine hated the movie so bad, she wouldnt want it longer because itd be more minutes of a crappy movie. You know what I mean? So..yeah..

KingofIPirates

[36]Feb 1, 2009
    It can actually go both ways. Making it longer would work where if it's lengthened the new ending scenes could overcome and outshine the decrepitude of much of the movie. Though I agree making it shorter is a better suggestion for disparaging the movie as it stands out more where making it longer is too veiled and isn't even really a smear at all.

pappy97

[37]Feb 26, 2012

SunsprayHoney wrote:
    I still stand by what I said last year, Newman booked 00-01 on ACCIDENT and Jerry informed him his party is one year too late. As someone else pointed out, if his party was one year early why would Newman care? If everybody's celebrating 99-00 then he'd be glad to be one year early.

Just watched this ep again, and the line should say "one year early."

I don't understand how anyone can still think the line is right considering:

Newman thinks the new millenium starts in 2000

Newman thinks the new millenium starts in 2000. He books Dec. 31, 1999. As Jerry explains, since there was no year zero, the new millenium doesn't start until 2001, so his party is one year too early (although Jerry says "late), and, thus, quite lame.

pappy97

[38]Feb 26, 2012

sadweekan wrote:
    pappy97 wrote:
    Here is proof Newman booked for Dec 31, 1999. "KRAMER: I gotta invite Jerry. He's my buddy. NEWMAN: That he may be. But he's outta my life, starting in the year two-thousand. For me, the next millennium must be, Jerry-free!" Newman thinks the new millenium starts in 2000. Later Jerry Corrects him: "JERRY: Oh, that's interesting, because as everyone knows, since there was no year zero, the millennium doesn't begin until the year two-thousand and one." And then Jerry says "Which would make your party, one year late, and thus, quite lame." Jerry should have said one year too early and thus quite lame. It's pretty clear, I don't know why people defend the incorrect line so much. I love Seinfeld, but it's wrong. Flat out wrong. The whole point of the line was for Jerry to point out to Newman that the millenium actually started in 2001 and not 2000, thus Newman booked his party for one year too early (Dec. 99 instead of Dec. 00).

perfect explanation but i think you are wrong, either that or im really tired. if newman booked 99-00 and pop culture celebrates 99-00 then why would newman get angry.

I know this was years ago, but like you said, it's a perfect explanation. And it's pretty clear why Newman would get angry. He doesn't care about when the idiot pop culture millenium is, he cares about the actual millenium. Jerry points out Newman's error but the line should be "one year early." IMHO, on reflection, I think people are so adamant that the line is correct because they can't accept that the new millenium actually did start in 2001 and cannot accept that Newman would be ticked off to be celebrating the idiot pop culture millenium instead of the actual new millenium.

ChipsTheButler

[39]Mar 17, 2012
    • level: 9

stellarchick86 wrote:
    There are some other things that I noticed/didnt get that they mentioned that was some sort of error/weird thing. In "The Butter Shave" I believe it was, Bania got his own tv pilot or at least was in talks for it (Jerry was talkin about how Bania keeps riding his coattails)..then it was never mentioned again. I dont even think Bania did another episode after that..

Bania's pilot wasn't picked up due to his insistence of showing a live abortion every five minutes. Creepy.

stellarchick86 wrote:
    And in "The Summer Of George" I believe it was, when Elaine was having arguments with Molly Shannens character (I forget what her name was), didnt M.S.'s character work with Elaine? At least temporarily? And then when Elaine plays the videotape for the cops, and shes naming off all the places she will find her, she goes "she must have a blueprint of the building or something" Well why would she need that if she works there? If you go into any office, you will be able to see the kitchen, copy machine, etc so why would you need a BP? I didnt get that lol.

It's a joke.

drudager

[40]May 17, 2012
    • level: 13
    ChipsTheButler wrote:

stellarchick86 wrote:
    There are some other things that I noticed/didnt get that they mentioned that was some sort of error/weird thing. In "The Butter Shave" I believe it was, Bania got his own tv pilot or at least was in talks for it (Jerry was talkin about how Bania keeps riding his coattails)..then it was never mentioned again. I dont even think Bania did another episode after that..

Bania's pilot wasn't picked up due to his insistence of showing a live abortion every five minutes. Creepy.

More misinformation.