Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

On TV

jobe1234

[1]Jan 1, 2009
    • level: 6
    Why is it not shown on British TV,I mean come on it's alot better than average shows like Scrubs,Freinds,Becker,Everybody Loves Raymond etc.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mp34mp

[2]Jan 1, 2009
    • level: 16
    jobe1234 wrote:
    Why is it not shown on British TV,I mean come on it's alot better than average shows like Scrubs,Freinds,Becker,Everybody Loves Raymond etc.

Do you understand the New York Yankees, George Steinbrenner, baseball in general, Howard Johnson's, Manhattan, the Bronx, the Knicks, Wiz, etc? I'm only assuming you're British, but Seinfeld has a ton of American references that probably would confuse a lot of non-U.S. watchers. Another reason why it's not on British TV could be the broadcasting rights. Those actors made a lot of money back in the day and showing it again couldn't be cheap. And I have to say, "Seinfeld" was the highlight of my 1990s television sitcom watching. No show felt as fulfilling as this one did. I see a lot of George & Jerry in myself.

oceanic6

[3]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 35
    mp34mp wrote:
    jobe1234 wrote:

Do you understand the New York Yankees, George Steinbrenner, baseball in general, Howard Johnson's, Manhattan, the Bronx, the Knicks, Wiz, etc? I'm only assuming you're British, but Seinfeld has a ton of American references that probably would confuse a lot of non-U.S. watchers. Another reason why it's not on British TV could be the broadcasting rights. Those actors made a lot of money back in the day and showing it again couldn't be cheap. And I have to say, "Seinfeld" was the highlight of my 1990s television sitcom watching. No show felt as fulfilling as this one did. I see a lot of George & Jerry in myself.

That's not fair, there are heaps of things we don't get about the British Office but it's on here.

stellarchick86

[4]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 32
    Seinfeld isnt the only American show that people in the U.S. could have things that maybe not know what it is right away. Sex and the City, Friends, Gossip Girl were also NY shows and I know people in different countries who have these as their favorite shows. Other shows like One Tree Hill, set in North Carolina, and others set in California like 90210 and The OC I also know of people who love these in different countries. You should go to this thread in the Friends forum that says 'where do you live' and you would be amazed at the countries that people are from who love this show as their favorite. They say anything thats 'too American' in understanding they just cut out or loop over it (talk over it) in words that people in those countries can understand. Like, for ex, if it was a British show and they said 'smoking a f@g which obviously means cigarette or cigar over there, they may edit it if its in the U.S. because that has a different meaning over here. So I dont think its because of that, must be because of rights or money or something like that.

mp34mp

[5]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 16
    oceanic6 wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    jobe1234 wrote:

That's not fair, there are heaps of things we don't get about the British Office but it's on here.

It's on here, and rarely, in PBS showings. It's not like the British "The Office" gets repeated airings here on multiple channels; it was only 6 episodes. Plus the US's version of Jim & the boss is completely different. "Seinfeld" is a very long and deeply studied sitcom, and if you don't get a few of the references, it comes off as a piece of obscurity. "Seinfeld" is too American and dated for it to appeal to the world. It's a unique, weird thing that only appeals to a small mass and well, it's ratings had to do to an American audience who those few could get "it".