Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

Question about "The Parking Garage"

das_fab

[1]Nov 11, 2008
    • level: 1

Hi guys,

I watched the bonus material about this episode, and they explained about michael richards cutting his lip and improvising the "I really hurt myself, Elaine" line, or getting out of the car and 'staring off into the horizon' when the car wouldn't start - however, none of these bits are in the actual episode that I have. Do I have some strange edited version, or did these bits not make it into the final episode?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CoolJammer00

[2]Nov 17, 2008
    • level: 4
    das_fab wrote:

Hi guys,

I watched the bonus material about this episode, and they explained about michael richards cutting his lip and improvising the "I really hurt myself, Elaine" line, or getting out of the car and 'staring off into the horizon' when the car wouldn't start - however, none of these bits are in the actual episode that I have. Do I have some strange edited version, or did these bits not make it into the final episode?

it must be, because the scene isn't actually on the episode on the DVDs. and syndication cuts it out as well, as it was just aired here.

this is really bizarre.

cosmokramer14

[3]Nov 27, 2008
    • level: 2
    No its a cut out.

KEVINT1964

[4]May 3, 2009
    • level: 1
    There was another aspect of this episode that was hilarious. It turns out the end scene when Kramer can't get the car started in the mall parking garage was not how it was originally scripted. I read or heard Jason Alexander talk about this in some interview. The car was supposed to start and they were to just drive off. Turns out the car not starting was totally an accident. Jason even confesses that when the car won't turn over, he turns his head from the profile shot he has in the back seat to looking at Julia Louis-Dreyfus because he started laughing. Check it out the next time you watch this episode & you can see him turning away from the camera, laughing. The show producers decided this accidental ending was better than what they had originally scripted, so they kept it for the closing scene, in its original accidental form. Why they didn't come up with that ending on their own in the first place is beyond me.

coffeebreath

[5]May 3, 2009
    • level: 4
    Yeah they cut it short for time and because the actors were laughing so hard

stellarchick86

[6]May 4, 2009
    • level: 32
    KEVINT1964 wrote:
    The show producers decided this accidental ending was better than what they had originally scripted, so they kept it for the closing scene, in its original accidental form. Why they didn't come up with that ending on their own in the first place is beyond me.

I dont get it either because like you said it is funnier and just plain better plus also most of those one-plot episodes from earlier on usually have an ending like that, where they finally get whatever it is and its usually not as great as they thought (i.e. "The Chinese Restaurant" they finally get called as they walk out and others I cant think of off the top of my head). So thats why I thought it was originally part of it. If I HAD to GUESS about any ending being improvised it would be when Jerry goes "who figures an immigrants going to have a pony?" at the end of 'The Pony Remark' and Julia almost spits out her water shes drinking. Considering I havent heard anything about that, I figured it wasnt improvised and then added in (like 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' is improvised a lot).