Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

Richards, Your Apology Was Pathetic!!!

ReneeFoxx

[1]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 1

Richards, your using the "N" word didn't just offend the so-called hecklers in your crowd, but it offended every African American who watches Seinfeld.  Your apology wasn't an apology at all; you made up excuses for what you did, and there is just no excuse for using the "N" word just because somebody ruffled your feathers.  That means you're a RACIST, perhaps a sociopath who doesn't know you did something really wrong, and to stand up there angry that people didn't appreciate what you said to those men was even more pathetic.  No White man uses that word in retaliation unless he is a bigotted racist, stupid!

Come to think of it, I don't see many African American people on the show.  For those who are, I can't imagine them wanting to work with you anymore, and every time the show comes on, I change the channel in disgust.  Your ignorant butt needs to stand up, be a man, be a human-being, and really apologize like you mean it.  Not that this will bring me back to Seinfeld, because quite frankly, everybody knows what you are now, whether you own up to it or not!!  I watched the show everyday, and now I can't watch it at all.  Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Jerry Seinfeld, expressing outrage isn't enough for any of you.  That's like hearing that one of your cast members shook a baby, you didn't like it, but you didn't really do anything about it, either.  If you can continue to be friends with a racist, guess what you are?

I am outraged, Seinfeld should be taken off the air until an acceptable formal apology be made to everybody of African American descent, and the cast should have some kind of consequence for what Richards did.  Richards, you big goofy-looking big-bird red neck; you won't last for long on television after what you did!  You'd better change your attitude, or somebody's going to kick your red-neck butt good, boy!    There's nothing worse than a racist in denial.

Edited on 11/24/2006 5:00pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RiIey

[2]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 2
    Am I the only one who still thinks he was drunk and he is NOT a Racist?

The man is not a racist, this whole thing was a consipracy.

ReneeFoxx

[3]Nov 24, 2006

Being drunk isn't an excuse to use that word, either. THERE IS NO EXCUSE! You say it, you're not black, you've got a racial problem. He didn't say it just once, either. Conspiracy my butt! It did happen, you're an idiot for even wanting to think it didn't, and there's just NO excuse for that. Now, I see how people are being raised these days, and isn't it just like white people to cover the butts of other whites doing (or saying) something really flat-out wrong. Unbelievable! I see it in the work-place; I see it in business; I see it on television; I see it all over the place; what is wrong with you people? Never mind; I know what's wrong with you ... do you? If I was drunk, famous, and accidentally slapped your child or called it super ugly to everybody who could hear me, would you feel the same way? I think NOT! If you're too young to have a child, how about to you then? Give me a break, and stop trying to cover up his indiscretions.

Hmmmmmm; I really DO think people are getting dumber as time goes on! Turn off the television, and go read about this country's history or something (especially the 60's).  You sound really stupid and ignorant.  That goes for anybody that is in denial about what Richards did or can't see the wrong in it!

Edited on 11/24/2006 5:58pm
    Edited 2 total times.

seinfeld111690

[4]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 25
    Who cares if he is racist, what is this gonna do now the show has been over for almost a decade.

And I agree I think he was drunk on stage.

I also think that he was just tired of hecklers in the crowd, who knows what they were saying to him.

CURLYHURLEY

[5]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 25
    Why should Seinfeld be taken off the air? Thats just stupid, only a true idiot would want a ten year old show off the air becuase of what someone did today.  ReneeFoxx you are just plain stupid.

NoOneIsAlone

[6]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 26
    I actually feel sorry for the guy. He looked so sad in the Late Show and it almost make me cry, its hard to look Michael Richards like that when all know him as the babbling funny Kramer, and then looking at him like that, depressed and sadden, I actually feel sorry for him...

Jqoc

[7]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 4

I'm sorry, but I just have to say something in defense of Richards; it should be obvious from his time on Seinfeld that he's not a racist (mentally disturbed, maybe, but not a racist). Of the four actors, he was the one who interacted with the most racially diverse group on the series. Black, Puerto Rican, Asian, heck just look at his character's trial lawyer, Jackie Chiles. Would a racist such as himself be willing to work with so many different actors from so many different races? And even so, could he pull it off so naturally the way he did on the show? I think not.

And really, what exactly are Jerry Seinfeld, Jason Alexander, and Julia Louis supposed to do anyway? it's not like they could've taped his mouth shut. Jerry even wen't so far as to mention a 'disclaimer' of sorts on Letterman, implying (or even saying directly, i can't quite remember) that the actors he worked with were not friends, just co-workers. But he shouldn't even have to do that, being friends with a racist doesn't make you one. Just cause you're friends with a person doesn't mean you agree with everything they say or do.

ReneeFoxx wrote:

and isn't it just like white people to cover the butts of other whites doing (or saying) something really flat-out wrong. Unbelievable! I see it in the work-place; I see it in business; I see it on television; I see it all over the place; what is wrong with you people?

And this would be what, exactly? moral outrage? i see some of us have double-standards.

P.S. For the record, i'm not 'whitey' defending a white person. I'm a Filipino defending a white person.

Edited on 11/25/2006 3:58am

kikindoonoots

[8]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 33
    He was probably just drunk anyway and is it really that big of deal now, I mean it's not like his career was booming after Seinfeld.

addicted2sein

[9]Nov 25, 2006

Just because you call some of us "whitey" or "cracker"..or whatever it is you call us...doesn't mean you hate all white people...I guess it means you were just so made that someone defended Michael Richards...Is that not the pot calling the kettle black!....Grow up...Michael Richards isn't anymore racist than you are....this just gives you ammunition in trying to make yourself look better...

shmaller

[10]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 6
    ReneeFoxx wrote:

Richards, your using the "N" word didn't just offend the so-called hecklers in your crowd, but it offended every African American who watches Seinfeld.  Your apology wasn't an apology at all; you made up excuses for what you did, and there is just no excuse for using the "N" word just because somebody ruffled your feathers.  That means you're a RACIST, perhaps a sociopath who doesn't know you did something really wrong, and to stand up there angry that people didn't appreciate what you said to those men was even more pathetic.  No White man uses that word in retaliation unless he is a bigotted racist, stupid!

Come to think of it, I don't see many African American people on the show.  For those who are, I can't imagine them wanting to work with you anymore, and every time the show comes on, I change the channel in disgust.  Your ignorant butt needs to stand up, be a man, be a human-being, and really apologize like you mean it.  Not that this will bring me back to Seinfeld, because quite frankly, everybody knows what you are now, whether you own up to it or not!!  I watched the show everyday, and now I can't watch it at all.  Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Jerry Seinfeld, expressing outrage isn't enough for any of you.  That's like hearing that one of your cast members shook a baby, you didn't like it, but you didn't really do anything about it, either.  If you can continue to be friends with a racist, guess what you are?

I am outraged, Seinfeld should be taken off the air until an acceptable formal apology be made to everybody of African American descent, and the cast should have some kind of consequence for what Richards did.  Richards, you big goofy-looking big-bird red neck; you won't last for long on television after what you did!  You'd better change your attitude, or somebody's going to kick your red-neck butt good, boy!    There's nothing worse than a racist in denial.

Hey buddy! You're retarded!! Why the hell should Seinfeld be taken off the air just because a few somewhat racy comments were thrown between a comic and two hecklers in the crowd? Did you watch the whole thing? Did you see how hypocritical those hecklers were? Seriously, "That was uncalled-for, cracka-ass!" You're just as hypocritical as they are. Just shut your mouth, fool.

RiIey

[11]Nov 26, 2006
    Now he is getting sued. I feel sorry for the guy. All the money he made, I hope those hecklers don't get a penny. It wasn't his fault.

sluggmunki_tx

[12]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 41
    I think he just made a mistake that affected people and he didn't notice. Most people I know do that. Nobody is perfect. I mean, the use of the N-word is very harsh and I don't feel comfortable when people say that around me. I'm somewhat accepting his apology because he is one of my favorite actors and his role as Kramer is my TV icon. People learn from their mistakes and that is what he did. I'm on nobody's side with the arguement but I'm just pointing out that people make mistakes like this.

Dmluciano

[13]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 12
    I don't know what to think. I think Richards is not a racist but Im not compeletly sure

joe_bigZ_38

[14]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 7

like seinfeld111690 said, it has nothing to do with the show.  i just think he was drunk. Reneefox, you may be correct in saying that it wasn't a very good apology, but what could he really say? There's nothing really you can say to make up for it, but i don't believe he is a racist.  Nothing is taken away from Richards' performance on the show by this event

kramer2006

[15]Nov 27, 2006
    ReneeFoxx wrote:

Richards, your using the "N" word didn't just offend the so-called hecklers in your crowd, but it offended every African American who watches Seinfeld. Your apology wasn't an apology at all; you made up excuses for what you did, and there is just no excuse for using the "N" word just because somebody ruffled your feathers. That means you're a RACIST, perhaps a sociopath who doesn't know you did something really wrong, and to stand up there angry that people didn't appreciate what you said to those men was even more pathetic. No White man uses that word in retaliation unless he is a bigotted racist, stupid!

Come to think of it, I don't see many African American people on the show. For those who are, I can't imagine them wanting to work with you anymore, and every time the show comes on, I change the channel in disgust. Your ignorant butt needs to stand up, be a man, be a human-being, and really apologize like you mean it. Not that this will bring me back to Seinfeld, because quite frankly, everybody knows what you are now, whether you own up to it or not!! I watched the show everyday, and now I can't watch it at all. Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Jerry Seinfeld, expressing outrage isn't enough for any of you. That's like hearing that one of your cast members shook a baby, you didn't like it, but you didn't really do anything about it, either. If you can continue to be friends with a racist, guess what you are?

I am outraged, Seinfeld should be taken off the air until an acceptable formal apology be made to everybody of African American descent, and the cast should have some kind of consequence for what Richards did. Richards, you big goofy-looking big-bird red neck; you won't last for long on television after what you did! You'd better change your attitude, or somebody's going to kick your red-neck butt good, boy! There's nothing worse than a racist in denial.

I am sure this is the only time we will hear from "ReneeFoxx". I am sure he/she is just like the other people that have posted the same thing here and have never come back. BUT what do you think of his new apology on Jesse Jackson's radio show "ReneeFoxx"?
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/26/richards.ap/index.html
    Is he forgiven yet? He also said he is seeing a therapist.
    Edited on 11/27/2006 8:15am

ammizny

[16]Nov 27, 2006
    • level: 12
    It sounded sincere to me.

And there are black people on the show. I don't see how that is even relevent, but there are.

OblivionGuy07

[17]Nov 27, 2006
    I don't think he was drunk or anything like that, I figured people would laugh and think he was kidding around, but he was dumb to do that..... and when he claims "I am not a racist" that is indeed pathetic, but remember: the show was over a while ago... This had nothing to do with the show, and also the show is already over so nothing affects the episodes........
    lastly, I noticed Richards isn't a great stand up comedian, maybe he took a step ahead and just wasn't funny... I only like him as an actor, his stand up is just stupid....... no offense to fans

stlpage6

[18]Nov 27, 2006

I really didn’t want to get in this, but I am. You guys kept saying the N word the N word, but come on. What kind of man says 50 years ago we had you up side down hanging from a tree with a fork up your ass? Just be real to your self, and think about it. No Black women or man should ever have to hear that.

dellective

[19]Nov 27, 2006
    • level: 10
    for all the people that call richards a racist you are wrong, again just look at how many ethnic people he worked with. when people are angry they are not themselves, they say things without thinking. and nobody knows what the two black men even said to him. i support richards and will continue to support seinfeld, it is the greatest sitcom ever, and always will be. kramer rocks!

darlingdarcy

[20]Nov 28, 2006
    • level: 21

I think some people believe racial humor is acceptable, when most of the time it's just offensive. He was doing a show and the people began heckling him. There's actually a Seinfeld episode where Jerry and other comedians discuss the idea of, "How would you like it if I came down to your job and heckled you?" It's not an excuse, but I'd be mad if someone came to a performance of mine and interrupted and distracted me. It's disrespectful to heckle, and I'm sure tickets to his performance weren't cheap. Why go see a comedian you don't like? Granted, I definitely wouldn't have lost my temper and taken it so far. He did look pretty messed up, I'd definitely believe he was drunk or on some kind of downer (both during the performance and on Letterman).

Also, everyone declaring a ban on Michael Richards' work better also examine their feelings on Mel Gibson. If you want Seinfeld taken off the air, every Mel Gibson movie (whether he produced or acted) should also be taken off the air and out of theaters and off Best Buy shelves. Also, Grey's Anatomy would have to be taken off the air after Isaiah Washington called a cast member a homophobic slur. Basically, taking Seinfled off the air because of this incident is saying anyone who says anything offensive is a representation of their cast members, writers, directors and other crew members, which is completely untrue. Richards represented himself and made an a$$ out of himself, and it has nothing to do with Seinfeld.