TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

Richards, Your Apology Was Pathetic!!!

  • Avatar of kramer2006

    kramer2006

    [21]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 02/22/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 61
    Jesse Jackson is calling for a boycott on Seinfeld season 7 dvd even after Richards comes on his show.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,232197,00.html
    Edited on 11/28/2006 8:00am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ammizny

    ammizny

    [22]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 06/06/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 3,992

    I must say that when I watched this, what the other people were saying to him was almost as bad as what he said.

    He was basically saying that everyone is too politically incorrect.  As soon as someone uses the N word, it is racist, yet we hear it all the time in Black comedy. I'm not defending what he said, but I don't think he meant to say bad things.  He was really angry (and possibly drunk), and said some things he shouldn't have.  I think he was talking out of anger, and not bigotry.  He has gone to anger mangement and made numerous apologies.  I do think it has been blown out of proportion.

    Edited on 11/28/2006 8:42am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of silvioStrippers

    silvioStrippers

    [23]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 11/20/05
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 257

    How can he possibly be sued?!?!?!?!? You cant sue someone for name calling!!!!! Its our constitutional right to speak what we wish. There is no law on the books that says you cant say **** Plus................

    he's apologized a hundred times already! Jesse JAckson is making Richards look foolish and puppylike! He's practically jumping through hoops! This is crazy! That word is used by thousands every day. Get over it black people! Stix and stones......................remember???

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shmaller

    shmaller

    [24]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 03/13/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 29
    silvioStrippers wrote:

    How can he possibly be sued?!?!?!?!? You cant sue someone for name calling!!!!! Its our constitutional right to speak what we wish. There is no law on the books that says you cant say **** Plus................

    he's apologized a hundred times already! Jesse JAckson is making Richards look foolish and puppylike! He's practically jumping through hoops! This is crazy! That word is used by thousands every day. Get over it black people! Stix and stones......................remember???

    Right! Christ, every time black people get made fun of in some way, they're like: we got racisted! We need money! Jesus, what's the first amendment, people? Right to FREE SPEECH. IT DOESN'T EXCLUDE ANYONE. If you can't handle frickin' WORDS, GET OUT.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ammizny

    ammizny

    [25]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 06/06/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 3,992
    shmaller wrote:
    silvioStrippers wrote:

    How can he possibly be sued?!?!?!?!? You cant sue someone for name calling!!!!! Its our constitutional right to speak what we wish. There is no law on the books that says you cant say **** Plus................

    he's apologized a hundred times already! Jesse JAckson is making Richards look foolish and puppylike! He's practically jumping through hoops! This is crazy! That word is used by thousands every day. Get over it black people! Stix and stones......................remember???

    Right! Christ, every time black people get made fun of in some way, they're like: we got racisted! We need money! Jesus, what's the first amendment, people? Right to FREE SPEECH. IT DOESN'T EXCLUDE ANYONE. If you can't handle frickin' WORDS, GET OUT.

    Ladies and gentlemen, this is where affirmative action has gotten us. I'm 99% sure if a black person had done this to a white person, it wouldn't be a big deal.  Anyway, Richards has apologized, and Jessie Jackson is being a complete ***.

    Edited on 11/28/2006 5:49pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of graygirl4ever

    graygirl4ever

    [26]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 10/26/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 367

    I am shocked by the comments on this thread making it out that Richard's comments aren't a big deal. Of course it isn't as big a deal if a black person calls a white person a racial slur. That's because black people have had to endure slavery, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, racism, segregation, and continued prejudice. White people haven't. I'm white and I can recognize the severity of Richard's use of the N-word and comments making a joke out of black lynchings. It is absolutely disgusting. Many blacks including children were tortured and murdered for no reason other than that they were black by whites who were never even punished. How can anyone make a joke out of that? Educate yourselves people! Have you not even heard of Emmett Till? It is a big deal and I have lost all respect for Michael Richards. However, I don't feel the need to boycott Seinfeld b/c it's just a show, not a reflection of Michael Richards or his comments. I don't think Michael Richards should be sued b/c this country has free speech. His comments were extremely wrong and offensive, but not illegal.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of silvioStrippers

    silvioStrippers

    [27]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 11/20/05
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 257
    hey graygirl, why dont you worry about your own needs??? Black people dont need or want your pity! Stop being an apologist!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ammizny

    ammizny

    [28]Nov 28, 2006
    • member since: 06/06/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 3,992
    graygirl4ever wrote:

    I am shocked by the comments on this thread making it out that Richard's comments aren't a big deal. Of course it isn't as big a deal if a black person calls a white person a racial slur. That's because black people have had to endure slavery, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, racism, segregation, and continued prejudice. White people haven't. I'm white and I can recognize the severity of Richard's use of the N-word and comments making a joke out of black lynchings. It is absolutely disgusting. Many blacks including children were tortured and murdered for no reason other than that they were black by whites who were never even punished. How can anyone make a joke out of that? Educate yourselves people! Have you not even heard of Emmett Till? It is a big deal and I have lost all respect for Michael Richards. However, I don't feel the need to boycott Seinfeld b/c it's just a show, not a reflection of Michael Richards or his comments. I don't think Michael Richards should be sued b/c this country has free speech. His comments were extremely wrong and offensive, but not illegal.



    This whole thing was a big deal, but it has unnecessarily been made into an even bigger deal (ie. Jessie Jackson trying to boycott Seinfeld).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of graygirl4ever

    graygirl4ever

    [29]Nov 29, 2006
    • member since: 10/26/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 367
    I agree the Seinfeld boycott is making a bigger deal out of this than it should and I have no bad feelings toward the show. It's just that making a joke out of black lynchings is the same to me as making a joke out of the Holocaust... it's insensitive and not funny at all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RiIey

    RiIey

    [30]Nov 29, 2006
    • member since: 11/12/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 32
    Look at the new shirt I just got: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280052497101&rd=1&rd=1

     Long live Seinfeld and Michael Richards!
    Edited on 11/29/2006 1:44pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wask1212

    wask1212

    [31]Nov 29, 2006
    • member since: 11/16/03
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 58
    graygirl4ever wrote:

    I am shocked by the comments on this thread making it out that Richard's comments aren't a big deal. Of course it isn't as big a deal if a black person calls a white person a racial slur. That's because black people have had to endure slavery, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, racism, segregation, and continued prejudice. White people haven't. I'm white and I can recognize the severity of Richard's use of the N-word and comments making a joke out of black lynchings.



    So because you have white quilt over something you never did you feel racism against whites is acceptable? You are saying racism is disgusting except when it is against whites. Why is that? What is the difference? Racism is racism right? You have some great logic! With people like you racism will never go away.

    Edited on 11/29/2006 2:45pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wask1212

    wask1212

    [32]Nov 29, 2006
    • member since: 11/16/03
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 58
    ammizny wrote:
    This whole thing was a big deal, but it has unnecessarily been made into an even bigger deal (ie. Jessie Jackson trying to boycott Seinfeld).


    You know why right? Jerry Seinfeld and Larry Davis are Jews.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seinfeld111690

    seinfeld111690

    [33]Nov 29, 2006
    • member since: 08/13/05
    • level: 25
    • rank: Coconut Phone
    • posts: 19,951
    wask1212 wrote:
    ammizny wrote:
    This whole thing was a big deal, but it has unnecessarily been made into an even bigger deal (ie. Jessie Jackson trying to boycott Seinfeld).


    You know why right? Jerry Seinfeld and Larry Davis are Jews.


    Who's Larry Davis
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seinfeld111690

    seinfeld111690

    [34]Nov 29, 2006
    • member since: 08/13/05
    • level: 25
    • rank: Coconut Phone
    • posts: 19,951
    How about we just drop this conversation because in my opinion we dont need to discuss this anymore
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dreame123

    Dreame123

    [35]Nov 30, 2006
    • member since: 01/19/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 560
    you know I really think this whole thing was a conspiracy.  I saw the black hecklers on a television show all dressed preppy and innocent wanting financial support...what the hell?  what does money have to do with you feeling hurt that someone called you a racist slur?  boo hoo you freaking babies...this whole world is racist, get over it..Stop trying to steal the rich white mans money because you're too lazy to get a job.  Michael Richards doesnt owe them anything, it is not illegal to say racist remarks..if anything Slander could be brought into court...however, the hecklers said slanderous remarks themselves so they should "pay up" as well.  And why is it that white people get the worst of it..when there were many instances where black people in the media have said racist remarks about whites?  the "woe is me" card is getting old. 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Darth-Revan45

    Darth-Revan45

    [36]Nov 30, 2006
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 2,709
    Get over it, and Jesse "Himey Town" Jackson [he did say that when he ran for office or something] is an idiot. It is just a word and if you don't like it, go listen to some black comics, hell I'll send you Chris Rocks "****** vs Black People" Routine just to watch you cringe.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stlpage6

    stlpage6

    [37]Nov 30, 2006
    • member since: 01/19/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5

    All you guys need to chill out. From some of the things I been reading its sounds like most of you don’t think it’s that big or that he was joking. If anyone White person told me that 50 years ago we had you hanging up side down from a tree with a fork up your ass, I’m not going to be happy about that and I don’t see how that’s a joke. Why don’t one of you tell me since some of you think you know a lot about Black people and are history? As for the word **** yes we say that word a lot, a or no a it’s still bad for us or anyone else to say it, it just shows how ignorant we are. To the people that are saying it just a word, it’s not just a word; no other negative word has that much history. If you’re not a person of color, don’t act like you know how it fells to be called a **** Yes I have been called one before and I won’t take it like a **** I ‘m not saying I made fun of there race or any thing else on the outside. I just clowned on the type of person they were, and once or twice I have **** them up, when I was younger. What Richards did was wrong, and no he should not be sued, its still freedom of speech. I’m 19 and I know right from wrong and two wrongs don’t make a right so please don’t stand up for this ignorant ****    

    Edited on 11/30/2006 6:04pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ammizny

    ammizny

    [38]Dec 1, 2006
    • member since: 06/06/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 3,992
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=solomon_george&id=2681869

    Where is the outrage over something like this? I bet many of you have never even heard that this happened.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of roscopicosound

    roscopicosound

    [39]Dec 2, 2006
    • member since: 12/03/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 148

    ReneeFoxx wrote:
    No White man uses that word in retaliation unless he is a bigotted racist, stupid!

    you know other races other than white people use the N word. plus is it alright if a black person uses this word in a negative fasion towards other blacks? because they do. would this have been as big of a deal to you (and other people) if a black comedian made racist comments to some other race the way richards did?

    it's a double standard. just like black people can make jokes about white people or other races, but no other race can make jokes about blacks, and if they did they better be REAL careful how they say it.

    what is funny is how this is called the n word, but words like honky, white trash, kike, spic, chink indian giver and what not are alright, at least not banned words.

    Edited on 12/02/2006 12:25pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Darth-Revan45

    Darth-Revan45

    [40]Dec 2, 2006
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 2,709
    roscopicosound wrote:

    ReneeFoxx wrote:
    No White man uses that word in retaliation unless he is a bigotted racist, stupid!

    you know other races other than white people use the N word. plus is it alright if a black person uses this word in a negative fasion towards other blacks? because they do. would this have been as big of a deal to you (and other people) if a black comedian made racist comments to some other race the way richards did?

    it's a double standard. just like black people can make jokes about white people or other races, but no other race can make jokes about blacks, and if they did they better be REAL careful how they say it.

    what is funny is how this is called the n word, but words like honky, white trash, kike, spic, chink indian giver and what not are alright, at least not banned words.



    See, nothing against us cracka's is filttered, but I cant say ******. It's not that bad, hell I have a lot of black friends, they call me "cracka" and "*****", so I go along with it and call them "*****", "***** ******", "***** *******", and it's fun!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.