Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

Richards, Your Apology Was Pathetic!!!

ammizny

[41]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 12
    It's very ironic.

Here is a great quote that sums up perfectly how I feel: "But I do find it's getting more and more difficult to intelligently celebrate a black man who repeatedly calls himself "******" and then chastise a white guy for saying "He's a ******." It just seems like there's a disconnect there."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/061201

It's part of a great article on ESPN's page 2. The link is above.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marvelfan89

[42]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 39

It’s always amusing than in the most serious of situations people can make the most flimsiest excuses to cover up their own issues….”I was drunk at the time”(Mel Gibson), “I had a lot of rage in me”, but “I’am not a racist”, or “have anger issues” (Russell Crowe) blah, blah. LMAO. It doesn’t matter whether Richards was drunk or not , he said it. It doesn’t matter than some blacks say it, we all know it’s an offensive word. More excuses. I agree with part of what ReneeFox said, but not all of it. I don’t think he is a sociopath but like Kramer he presented like a blabbering idiot. Comics get heckled in their careers, but they should how to deal with these things other than using racist words. Anyways,  I really liked this CNN article. Very forthcoming and honest covers a lot of issues that need to be looked at not just the simple way of covering a story where  some idiot saying something really bad and then thinking he could say just “I’am sorry” and that’s it case closed and not looking deeper. Why do some people always want to sweep these situations under the rug by saying "get over it” is also amusing.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/12/01/asorry.year.ap/index.html

roscopicosound

[43]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 1

yes, people saying "get over it" is annoying...for some things that are serious. however in 2006 people using the "n" word is used ALL the time, especially in music but by all kinds of people, it used to be a very offensive word that nobody used but these days people call their friends this. now is richards anymore racist that anyone else? or was he just trying to get someone mad who got him mad and was just being a baby? i hear alot of people crying racism alot, but i don't think they see or wanna admit the racist in them.

bottom line is this dictionary should just change the meaning to this word to a great person, one who is smart and cool.

Bonici

[44]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 5
    ReneeFoxx wrote:

Richards, your using the "N" word didn't just offend the so-called hecklers in your crowd, but it offended every African American who watches Seinfeld.  Your apology wasn't an apology at all; you made up excuses for what you did, and there is just no excuse for using the "N" word just because somebody ruffled your feathers.  That means you're a RACIST, perhaps a sociopath who doesn't know you did something really wrong, and to stand up there angry that people didn't appreciate what you said to those men was even more pathetic.  No White man uses that word in retaliation unless he is a bigotted racist, stupid!

Come to think of it, I don't see many African American people on the show.  For those who are, I can't imagine them wanting to work with you anymore, and every time the show comes on, I change the channel in disgust.  Your ignorant butt needs to stand up, be a man, be a human-being, and really apologize like you mean it.  Not that this will bring me back to Seinfeld, because quite frankly, everybody knows what you are now, whether you own up to it or not!!  I watched the show everyday, and now I can't watch it at all.  Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Jerry Seinfeld, expressing outrage isn't enough for any of you.  That's like hearing that one of your cast members shook a baby, you didn't like it, but you didn't really do anything about it, either.  If you can continue to be friends with a racist, guess what you are?

I am outraged, Seinfeld should be taken off the air until an acceptable formal apology be made to everybody of African American descent, and the cast should have some kind of consequence for what Richards did.  Richards, you big goofy-looking big-bird red neck; you won't last for long on television after what you did!  You'd better change your attitude, or somebody's going to kick your red-neck butt good, boy!    There's nothing worse than a racist in denial.

...  You are so incredibly stupid.

Edited on 12/03/2006 11:04pm

R8RMARK2

[45]Dec 4, 2006

Richards, your using the "N" word didn't just offend the so-called hecklers in your crowd, but it offended every African American who watches Seinfeld.  Your apology wasn't an apology at all; you made up excuses for what you did, and there is just no excuse for using the "N" word just because somebody ruffled your feathers.  That means you're a RACIST, perhaps a sociopath who doesn't know you did something really wrong, and to stand up there angry that people didn't appreciate what you said to those men was even more pathetic.  No White man uses that word in retaliation unless he is a bigotted racist, stupid!

Come to think of it, I don't see many African American people on the show.  For those who are, I can't imagine them wanting to work with you anymore, and every time the show comes on, I change the channel in disgust.  Your ignorant butt needs to stand up, be a man, be a human-being, and really apologize like you mean it.  Not that this will bring me back to Seinfeld, because quite frankly, everybody knows what you are now, whether you own up to it or not!!  I watched the show everyday, and now I can't watch it at all.  Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Jerry Seinfeld, expressing outrage isn't enough for any of you.  That's like hearing that one of your cast members shook a baby, you didn't like it, but you didn't really do anything about it, either.  If you can continue to be friends with a racist, guess what you are?

I am outraged, Seinfeld should be taken off the air until an acceptable formal apology be made to everybody of African American descent, and the cast should have some kind of consequence for what Richards did.  Richards, you big goofy-looking big-bird red neck; you won't last for long on television after what you did!  You'd better change your attitude, or somebody's going to kick your red-neck butt good, boy!    There's nothing worse than a racist in denial.

It's funny how everybody is attacking Michael Richards because he said the N word, while a week earlier a black man live on cspan said that white people are the cause of problems in this world and all white people should be exterminated. I brought this up becuase Richards said this remark at a comedy club not on television. While the black man was live on cspan saying whites should be wiped off this earth. But this black man got no media coverage no apology was given. Everybody i have talked to about this never heard about it untill i told them. While the next day kramers incident was on the news. What a double standard. If a white man went on cspan live and said black people should be exterminated everybody would've heard about it by now. He then would have to make an apology. Im not saying what kramer did was alright it was terrible he shouldnt of said that. Im just saying that america is a double standard society now.

R8RMARK2

[46]Dec 4, 2006
    if you want to listen to the black man rant on how whites should be exterminated go onto youtube.com and search extermination and you'll find it.

R8RMARK2

[47]Dec 4, 2006
    he is the exact link here http://youtube.com/watch?v=k0FI82DOuxE

HilljaFuFu

[48]Dec 5, 2006
    • level: 22

Just let it go, he apologised stop over reacting. He obviously shouldn't have said it, but that guy shouldn't have been heckling him either. I don't understand how a race can walk around and say it to each other every day and the second Richard's says it, or any other person who isn't black  it's such a big deal. Just because the n word is a more known offensive word towards black people doesn't mean there aren't other races being called names, just because that is a more known word doesn't mean anything, it's a problem for every race and people making an effort to be even madder then they probably really even are about it is exactly why it keeps happening, give it a break, watch the show and stop whining.

I mean, look at any Chris Rock act, how many white related jokes are there? Do you see the entire white race throwing a fit about it, no. I know that what Richard's said is more severe, but give it a break!

ktbone

[49]Dec 7, 2006
    when did this actually happen. could you please give me the date.

roscopicosound

[50]Dec 8, 2006

ktbone wrote:
    when did this actually happen. could you please give me the date.

june 6th 2006 i believe, i could be wrong though.

TC_88

[51]Dec 9, 2006
    • level: 7
    HilljaFuFu wrote:

I mean, look at any Chris Rock act, how many white related jokes are there? Do you see the entire white race throwing a fit about it, no. I know that what Richard's said is more severe, but give it a break!

no i doubt if he was making a wide nose related joke people wld have freaked. i doubt if he was making fun of the way most black ppl dress and grills or something, i doubt anyone wld freak. IT WAS BECAUSE HE USED THE N WORD!
    ammizny wrote:
    It's very ironic.

Here is a great quote that sums up perfectly how I feel: "But I do find it's getting more and more difficult to intelligently celebrate a black man who repeatedly calls himself "******" and then chastise a white guy for saying "He's a ******." It just seems like there's a disconnect there."

Black ppl say it to themselves not outta spit or pain, or the disgust he feels from a themselves. Its usually in form of a brotherhood. and when one says it in the abusive sense to his fellow black friend, it cannot be a big deal 'cause guess what he's also black.

But when a white fool says it, i dont even think its that much of a big deal. Ofcourse his ass wld be whooped instantly. But what makes Richards different is because he is an actual racist. Only the anger towards the ppl at the time just forced it out. I mean how else wld you explain him saying back in the days they wld have shoved a fork up our ass. i mean wld you call that anger or just pure spitful racist?

and by the way, just because his parents have sex and they tell him off for having sex at 13, does that give a kid the right to have sex?
    And using that instant, does that give Richards the right to be racist.
    R8RMARK2 wrote:

It's funny how everybody is attacking Michael Richards because he said the N word, while a week earlier a black man live on cspan said that white people are the cause of problems in this world and all white people should be exterminated. I brought this up becuase Richards said this remark at a comedy club not on television. While the black man was live on cspan saying whites should be wiped off this earth. But this black man got no media coverage no apology was given. Everybody i have talked to about this never heard about it untill i told them. While the next day kramers incident was on the news. What a double standard. If a white man went on cspan live and said black people should be exterminated everybody would've heard about it by now. He then would have to make an apology. Im not saying what kramer did was alright it was terrible he shouldnt of said that. Im just saying that america is a double standard society now.

its not a matter of double standard. are you trying to tell me that Richards is the first white guy to say it and get away with it? What i'm tryin to say is the black guy was a nobody. obviously someone that was high. But Richards is a celebrity. ppl look up to him. And to think that he's been keeping that amount of resentment against black ppl it means its gotta be in the news. The guy repeated it a 1000 times. He made other racist comments. do we really need more. This makes it worthy enough to be on the news.
    The black guy however wasnt being racist 'cause he's the minority in this case. White ppl can come to his house and have him arrested or something so...the situation is entirely different.

And by the way, Bonici very intelligent addition you have there

TC_88

[52]Dec 9, 2006
    graygirl4ever wrote:

I am shocked by the comments on this thread making it out that Richard's comments aren't a big deal. Of course it isn't as big a deal if a black person calls a white person a racial slur. That's because black people have had to endure slavery, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, racism, segregation, and continued prejudice. White people haven't. I'm white and I can recognize the severity of Richard's use of the N-word and comments making a joke out of black lynchings. It is absolutely disgusting. Many blacks including children were tortured and murdered for no reason other than that they were black by whites who were never even punished. How can anyone make a joke out of that? Educate yourselves people! Have you not even heard of Emmett Till? It is a big deal and I have lost all respect for Michael Richards. However, I don't feel the need to boycott Seinfeld b/c it's just a show, not a reflection of Michael Richards or his comments. I don't think Michael Richards should be sued b/c this country has free speech. His comments were extremely wrong and offensive, but not illegal.

Spoken like a true gem. And really put everything into perspective. And i appreciate you comments. Thank you!
    silvioStrippers wrote:
    hey graygirl, why dont you worry about your own needs??? Black people dont need or want your pity! Stop being an apologist!
    and you if u have nothing more to add, pls dont post idoitic comments.

ammizny

[53]Dec 9, 2006
    • level: 12

TC_88 wrote:
    ammizny wrote:
    It's very ironic. Here is a great quote that sums up perfectly how I feel: "But I do find it's getting more and more difficult to intelligently celebrate a black man who repeatedly calls himself "******" and then chastise a white guy for saying "He's a ******." It just seems like there's a disconnect there." http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/061201 It's part of a great article on ESPN's page 2. The link is above.
    Black ppl say it to themselves not outta spit or pain, or the disgust he feels from a themselves. Its usually in form of a brotherhood. and when one says it in the abusive sense to his fellow black friend, it cannot be a big deal 'cause guess what he's also black. But when a white fool says it, i dont even think its that much of a big deal. Ofcourse his ass wld be whooped instantly. But what makes Richards different is because he is an actual racist. Only the anger towards the ppl at the time just forced it out. I mean how else wld you explain him saying back in the days they wld have shoved a fork up our ass. i mean wld you call that anger or just pure spitful racist? and by the way, just because his parents have sex and they tell him off for having sex at 13, does that give a kid the right to have sex? And using that instant, does that give Richards the right to be racist.

Don't give me that argument.  If a White person said it not in a hateful way, they'd still be chastized for it.  Comedians like Dave Chapelle use it all the time in the context of humor, not out of "brotherhood."

And what Richards did wasn't illegal or anything.  I think his comments were out of line, but I don't think what he said makes me racist.

TC_88

[55]Dec 10, 2006
    ammizny wrote:

TC_88 wrote:
    ammizny wrote:
    It's very ironic. Here is a great quote that sums up perfectly how I feel: "But I do find it's getting more and more difficult to intelligently celebrate a black man who repeatedly calls himself "******" and then chastise a white guy for saying "He's a ******." It just seems like there's a disconnect there." http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/061201 It's part of a great article on ESPN's page 2. The link is above.
    Black ppl say it to themselves not outta spit or pain, or the disgust he feels from a themselves. Its usually in form of a brotherhood. and when one says it in the abusive sense to his fellow black friend, it cannot be a big deal 'cause guess what he's also black. But when a white fool says it, i dont even think its that much of a big deal. Ofcourse his ass wld be whooped instantly. But what makes Richards different is because he is an actual racist. Only the anger towards the ppl at the time just forced it out. I mean how else wld you explain him saying back in the days they wld have shoved a fork up our ass. i mean wld you call that anger or just pure spitful racist? and by the way, just because his parents have sex and they tell him off for having sex at 13, does that give a kid the right to have sex? And using that instant, does that give Richards the right to be racist.

Don't give me that argument.  If a White person said it not in a hateful way, they'd still be chastized for it.  Comedians like Dave Chapelle use it all the time in the context of humor, not out of "brotherhood."

And what Richards did wasn't illegal or anything.  I think his comments were out of line, but I don't think what he said makes me racist.

ofcourse he wld have been 'chastized'. But the point is Richards did say it in a hateful way. Are you trying to tell me that he's the only white guy that's used the word. Hell i've seen instances in movies. But the deal is he wasnt saying it to be funny. He felt that was only way he get back at the ppl that told him he sucked. And it wasnt just a comment that the crowd cld go, "oooooh!" over. it went on and on and on. havent you seen the clip...it last for about 5 minutes.

Since when was speaking illegal. pls dont misconstrue my opinion. Expressin ur mind shld not be illegal so that's why i'm not with the get-him-arrested-or-sued-crew. He just simply shldnt be idolised by yall anymore and ofcourse if possible be given a proper beating.

Saying n'gga doesnt make him racist i agree. repeating it, usin it as form of defence, refering to the forms of punishment black ppl used to get for being born that way...yeh that's what makes him racist. And u cant deny that.

HilljaFuFu

[56]Dec 11, 2006
    • level: 22
    Lets just drop it, it was obviously a slow day in the news considering this got so much attention. Say what you want, but I think those of you who are STILL throwing a fit about this aren't even as mad as you act like you are.

thacrowbar

[57]Dec 11, 2006
    • level: 10

I think it's fair enough for people to say they will not support Michael Richards after this. If he isn't racist, he's definitely mentally unstable.

But don't take it out on Jerry, Jason, Julia, Larry, and the rest! Seinfeld has been over since 1998, and it was not a racist show. A boycott on the show or the Season 7 DVD is just stupid. Michael Richards has already profitted a great deal from the show, so it's not like ignoring the season 7 DVD would really hurt him. But keep in mind this is the legacy of everyone involved in Seinfeld. I know what Richards said was hurtful to African Americans, but don't you think it has also hurt the people he worked with on Seinfeld? Does Jason Alexander want to be remembered as being part of that "racist show?" just because ONE of the actors involved said some horrible things YEARS after the show ended? I don't think that's fair. If you personally cannot tolerate watching Richards on Seinfeld after what he did, frankly I understand. But there is no need to convince others that watching Seinfeld is somehow wrong just because Michael Richards is a jerk. He's just one man, and his racist attitudes did not really translate to the screen on the show anyway.

Long live Jerry, George, Elaine, and.....well, Newman, you're promoted.

"These hecklers are making me racist!"

shmaller

[58]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 6
    ammizny wrote:
    It's very ironic.

Hah! You make a great point. Who said that?