Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

Seinfeld or Sex and the City?

Which had better writing?

hams_mac

[1]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 5
    What are your thoughts on these two shows? There does seem to be some parallels. They're both about a core group of four friends who are in their 30s and dealing with typical issues of life. Seinfeld is obviously more devoted to the comedy than Sex and the City. They both had superb writing. Anyway, go for it. Any and all thoughts on comparing these two shows are welcome.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hams_mac

[2]Jul 10, 2008
    Sex and the City was about sex. But when I cheat on my wife, I say, "It's just sex. It's nothing." So, by the transitive property of it's not a lie if you believe it, then Sex and the City was a show about nothing!

Is Sex and the City just Seinfeld where the nothing is sex?

kravitzfan12

[3]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 34

By the way... in your poll you put "Sein and the City" and "Sexfeld".

I don't know if that was on purpose or not?

iluvotrs

[4]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 2
    kravitzfan12 wrote:

I noticed that too... After I voted!

hams_mac

[5]Jul 11, 2008
    Lenny wrote:

Of course it was on purpose, silly.

I'm more interested in the discussion than the poll results.

sienster

[6]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 8
    I never cared for Sex and the City. It's too Friendsy and girly.

yousifaltaha

[7]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 7

well sex & the city was made for 20/30-something suburban women.

Not to mention it's shallow and superficial...so absolutely Seinfeld

stellarchick86

[8]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 32
    yousifaltaha wrote:

well sex & the city was made for 20/30-something suburban women.

Not to mention it's shallow and superficial...so absolutely Seinfeld

Satc is for women from teenager to maybe 40ish. Seinfeld can be more geared toward teenage men to however old males but women can like it too. SATC was a show that allowed women to talk about sex and things that go allow with it just as other shows have done with males. We as humans always assume that guys talk about sex and things they do or things their girlfriends do, "locker room" type situations, but its always been considered taboo like women dont talk about it either. Well- got news for ya, we do, and this show just shows it and the topics of conversation that go along with it. They also add in relationship stuff and drama to make it less sex-ish and more interesting, just like any other show, but thats more so after season 1. I dont see how thats being shallow or superficial just because you dont fit in the typical demographic for SATC or like what its about. It has just as much of a right to be there with Friends or Seinfeld.

As far as who had the better writing, Im not sure because they both have different styles. First off, most people are going to say Seinfeld on a Seinfeld site, just like when we compared it to Friends and most people said Seinfeld. 2nd of all, when I see an episode like The Parking Garage Im going to say SATC because they have drama, suspense, everything ties together at the end, narration, etc where as with Seinfeld youre watching people trying to find their car for 20 mins. However, there are episodes where it has brilliant writing and stuff no one could ever come up with, and I choose Seinfeld in that case. So Im stuck in between.

Edited on 07/11/2008 11:04pm

seinfeld111690

[9]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 25

I don't quite see the point in posting this on the Seinfeld forum. Obviously more people will say Seinfeld if you post it here, while more people will say Sex and the City if you put it in the Sex in the City forum.

I'll say Seinfeld, although Sexfeld doesn't sound all that bad.

Edited on 07/13/2008 11:51pm

Phurtive

[10]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 1
    Seinfeld of course!

hams_mac

[11]Jul 22, 2008
    seinfeld111690 wrote:

I don't quite see the point in posting this on the Seinfeld forum. Obviously more people will say Seinfeld if you post it here, while more people will say Sex and the City if you put it in the Sex in the City forum.

I posted it here because I think most of the Sex and the City forum people are fanatics. The Seinfeld crowd is more objective by nature. Yeah, we all like Seinfeld, but we like it because it was indeed good. Too many of the Sex and the City fans overlook the excellent writing and characters and instead just like it because it had shoes, or it was steamy or they thought Mr. Big was hot. It's got a kind of soap opera appeal that would cloud judgment.

stellarchick86

[12]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 32
    hams_mac wrote:
    seinfeld111690 wrote:

I posted it here because I think most of the Sex and the City forum people are fanatics. The Seinfeld crowd is more objective by nature. Yeah, we all like Seinfeld, but we like it because it was indeed good. Too many of the Sex and the City fans overlook the excellent writing and characters and instead just like it because it had shoes, or it was steamy or they thought Mr. Big was hot. It's got a kind of soap opera appeal that would cloud judgment.

Im not one of those people, and although I love Seinfeld, I love it less than SATC. It all depends on what age you are. If you are a 12-15 year old girl, youre probably going to like it more for the shoes and fashion. If youre from that age till 40 or whatever (Im 22, and my sis in law is 31 and loves the show more than me) youre going to like it for what it is and how its written. I couldnt watch a show for 1/2 hour just because of the shoes, and I dont think Mr Big was particularly hot either. Dont lump all SATC fans into one category. I could say the same thing for Seinfeld fans, if you go through this forum, you will also see fanatics.

Edited on 07/22/2008 10:06pm

hawksie

[13]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 9
    Seinfeld appeals to a broader age group and both genders, whilst most straight males wouldn't be caught dead watching Sex and The City. I'm a guy and I've admittedly seen a couple of episodes and it's alright but never gave me the laughs that Seinfeld has brought. Both are good shows to their particular target-audiences.

revbucky

[14]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 22
    Seinfeld is number 1!

sienster

[15]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 8
    revbucky wrote:
    Seinfeld is number 1!

I'm kinda surprised to hear that, given your avatar, I thought you would like Star Trek the best. Oh, and by the way, Arrested Development is number 1!!!

taytaos

[16]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 6

I love seinfeld-(sexfield)

frostzZ

[17]Jul 26, 2008
    hams_mac wrote:
    seinfeld111690 wrote:

Wow, judging from the Seinfeld forums I've been in, I'd say a big portion of Seinfeld fans think, anyone who doesn't like Seinfeld is dumb...not you guys :S

hawksie

[18]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 9
    frostzZ wrote:
    hams_mac wrote:
    seinfeld111690 wrote:

Wow, judging from the Seinfeld forums I've been in, I'd say a big portion of Seinfeld fans think, anyone who doesn't like Seinfeld is dumb...not you guys :S

Just because you may have ran into a few arrogant Seinfeld fans doesn't mean that a 'big portion' of us are the same. I visit here and IMDb to discuss Seinfeld and I'd say the majority of us are pretty open-minded towards other shows and haters. Besides, what the other poster said was quite true. You can tell the differences between the shows just by looking at the fan bases.

frostzZ

[19]Jul 29, 2008
    hawksie wrote:
    frostzZ wrote:
    hams_mac wrote:
    seinfeld111690 wrote:

Just because you may have ran into a few arrogant Seinfeld fans doesn't mean that a 'big portion' of us are the same. I visit here and IMDb to discuss Seinfeld and I'd say the majority of us are pretty open-minded towards other shows and haters. Besides, what the other poster said was quite true. You can tell the differences between the shows just by looking at the fan bases.

first of all I'm not generalizing on all the fans but it is a big portion from what I HAVE SEEN-and I've seen ALOT-from seinology to stanthecaddy to yahoo, IMDB and youtube, luckily here exists a much nicer community.

And what do you mean you can tell the difference of shows by the fan base, my friend watch that dull reality show "survivor" and "seinfeld" and they are his favourites. I'm a bag fan of both "friends" and "seinfeld", how could you possible categorize that *wondering*

sadweekan

[20]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 3

aren't you getting a little off-topic here guys.

I think s/he mean that every shoe appeals to a group more than the others for example friends's fan base is concentrated between ages 14-29 but seinfeld's fan base appeals to..I'd say 25-40 and those reality shows you mentioned most likely appeals to everybody.

On a side note, i think intelligence is absolutely irrelevant to tv shows preference, its no more than an acquired taste