Seinfeld Forums

NBC (ended 1998)

What comedy is the new Seinfeld?

KingofIPirates

[61]Feb 9, 2009
    • level: 32
    mp34mp wrote:
    BMac39 wrote:
    Nothing out there now compares to Seinfeld . There were/are some very good comedies that came since Seinfeld went off the air , but none to take it's place for me . I had Everybody Loves Raymond and King of Queens to fall back on after Seinfeld's series run was over but...... As for the Simpson's , that show has long run it's course . I only watch it now out of habit . I have been watching it since the very beginning when I was 20 yrs old and it's hard to let go of something you have been watching for nearly 20 years .

I don't know if you mean the '89 Xmas debut or the '87 Ullman debut, but I was there right in '87. After the numerous tapings, watching it in syndication, about 2005 / Season 16 is when I had enough. They kept showing more newer episodes in sydication that were lousy (The Simpsons go to...) but that season, the worse Halloween special ever & Bart having a heart attack was the breaking point to where I said "enough. Never again". The show had evolved into a mere shadow of itself, it wasn't funny, they were just stories.
    Pretty much..
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

whoaitsconner

[62]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 21
    Friends. It was in 2000 - 2008. But, currently.. I'm not sure. Nothing will ever be like Seinfeld. Curb Your Enthusiasm is more of it's own show now, which is a good thing. While 30 Rock is probably the funniest show, the most popular (and also very funny) is The Office among young kids and even older adults.

mcwilly104

[63]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 12

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. In the words of the creators of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia they "ripped-off Seinfeld so bad".

The plot of the show is there are four friends are horrible people and often get into compromising situations.

HurricanesR1

[64]May 13, 2009
    • level: 5
    Nothing compares to Seinfeld imo. It's a show in its own category.

drews01

[65]May 31, 2009

To be honset I don't nelieve there has been another show like Seinfeld that makes its lead characters have unlikable traits and isn't based on one-liner jokes. The main comedy from Seinfeld came from the situations the characters found themselves in and their actions and reactions to them, the secondary characters that were an important aspect of the show and each of the main characters always going off and having their own stoy.

It was perfect.

aondieki

[66]May 26, 2010

Curb Your Enthusiasm is an "adult" version of Seinfeld and Arrested Development is the silly version.

EPRband

[67]Aug 17, 2010
    • level: 1
    NONE!

AxStarr

[68]Sep 9, 2010
    • level: 15
    Indeed

Chaos_Zombie

[69]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 10

Wow, I'm posting 2 years after I last did when I said I hadn't gotten into The Office yet. Well, I since have and while I don't think it comes close to the quality of Seinfeld it does have one thing Seinfeld also had (in my experience). I know a lot of people that watch The Office and it has that same "sitting around a campfire talking about "Do you remember the time when..." feel to it. I can talk about things that happened in The Office for hours on end with many people just like I can with Seinfeld. I realize that just may be an isolated situation for me though. Unfortunately The Office only had 2 fantastic seasons (2 and 3) and has slowly gone downhill ever since so it doesn't hold a candle to the great Seinfeld.

Now a new comedy that I absolutely love and has surpassed The Office is Community. It's also a sitcom and the style and wit of the writers keep it far and away the most unique comedy. It has a long ways to go but the writers take chances a ton in the first season, which usually never happens until the 3rd or 4th season in a show, and it already has 3-4 classic episodes. Seinfeld pushed the bar and has a few episodes per season that were unforgettable and even if you didn't watch the show you knew about them ('Soup Nazi'). Community has the holiday episodes (all hysterical) and one called 'Modern Warfare' that is widely talked about. This season they already have big things planned including a stop motion Christmas episode along the lines of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". Unfortunately the show isn't so popular but it gets big props for being unique and daring. I hope it has a long run and picks up fans.

myzucchinni

[70]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 1

Based on success and overall popularity - 2 and a half Men.

For comedic value - Arrested Development.

stellarchick86

[71]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 32
    Id say a mix of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development and a lot of Its Always Sunny.

bennett10

[72]Feb 7, 2012
    • level: 4

The newer episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm after Larry gets divorced have been a lot like Seinfeld.

I love the show, and not an episode goes by that doesn't remind me in some way of Seinfeld.