Seinfeld

NBC (ended 1998)

Lion4Life

Seinfeld Fan Reviews page 6 of 19

• Possibly the greatest sitcom ever made

This show, always referred to as the show about nothing, is one of the, if not the lone, greatest sitcom ever produced, the comedy is perfect, and the characters, unlike most sitcom characters, are not perfect, which is what leads to the outrageous and hilarious situations encountered in each episode.

Even though Seinfeld is no longer on the air, it's not really gone, for every day, someone discovers the show and falls in love with it, becoming a member of the already large group of fans.

Not only that, but the show's phrases have entered everyday conversation, like "Yada Yada", "Spongeworthy","Double Dip", "Master of your Domain","Shrinkage",etc.
  • Best show ever!

My favorite show ever. My wife hates watching it with me, cause I quote the lines as they say them on the show. I've been a moderator over at Seinology.com for a few years, and helped out with transcripts, to make sure they are as accurate as possible. I wrote a Seinfeld episode (fan fiction) called "The Vinegar Chips"
    You can read it here -- it's pretty good:

Summary:
    Elaine's grandfather is working on his will and may leave her a roller coaster. Kramer's great uncle invented the clown-ballon stands (you shoot water in their mouth and blow up the balloon) at all the amusement parks and somehow never got paid for the stand at Elaine's grandfather's park, so Kramer wants payment in the form of the roller coaster. Kramer thinks about going on a special diet. George and Jerry are along for the ride, supporting their friends, while discussing the finer points of food, diets, rehab, chickens, cows, Santa and bathrooms.
  • Out of "nothing", comes something for each of us.

Seinfeld is often called a "show about nothing"; the term itself probably stems from the season 4 arc where George and Jerry pitch a show "about nothing" to NBC, much like Larry David and Jerry presumably did in real life. As has been mentioned, the "nothing"-ness refers to the ability of the series not only to keenly document the minutia and humdrum of daily life that every American--especially every 1990's American--experienced, but to portray these situations in the most fantastic, hyperbolic (and hilarious) light imaginable. Who hasn't lost their car in a mega-garage, been shafted while waiting in a restaurant, or had to deal with a Nazi of one form or another? We have all had these "Seinfeld moments", and we will continue to do so. Seinfeld is really a parody of our own lives, and laughing at ourselves ala Seinfeld makes the situations more bearable. Every viewer can relate to something that goes on in each episode; what every viewer wishes is that he or she could react with the same liberty, flippancy, and hilarity as Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer. What makes this show so singular, so unique, so witty and endearing is not that it is merely about nothing; rather, it made something out of "nothing".
  • Seinfeld is a great show!!

I love Seinfeld! Seinfeld is one of my favorite shows along with scrubs. The shows plots are hilarious and the characters are so realistic and they are easy to relate too. I personally find myself relating to Jerry. I guess i could be a comedian??? Seinfeld just gives you the day to day lives of four ordinary people with a bit of adventure. If you have never watched the show theres Jerry,Elaine,Kramer and George. This is one of the best casts of all time and i can't imagine what the show would be like with a different cast. Seinfeld rocks!!
  • Best no storyline show ever!!!

Seinfeld is an awesome show. It it really funny and very entertaining. Kramer who is my favorite chracter is by far the funniest IMO. Jerry is also very funny and George is too. All three of them make this show so good, and its awesome to watch such a classic funny show like it. I started watching the show about 5 years ago and have been watching it ever since I have been watching of course re run and can't understand why they got rid of this show they could have had way more episodes in my opinion and it would have been great.
  • The Best Ever Comedy Series made.

We need more Seinfeld. This is without a doubt the best comedy series ever made. All the characters were funny, Jerry - a neat freak, a germ-a-phoebe, self absorbed guy. George, absolutely disturbed by his crazy family - self consciously ugly, tight with money, lazy self absorbed guy. Cramer - all his movements were his comedy - just absolutely crazy - crazy hair and crazy hair brained ideas. Elaine, what can I say, absolutely beautiful, self absorbed, great dancer!!! I loved the way that each character's problems somehow intertwined with each others - the flow on effect of their actions, creating reactions for the others. Very very clever writing. We need more of this type of comedy.
  • love this sinfeld, ta ha ha

I reallylike this show, it has some jokes you will laugh at, and you look back and think, “that was good”. My favorite character is soup nazi He is a level no tv.com, which I think is great. I really think this is one of my favorite comedies that aren’t animated along with fresh prince of bel air. So every show on nick at nite is good. So I classify it as average for nick at night and great for nick. thats the national review from north philly, see you next time. i love sifeld alot so i watch it every day on tube
  • The show about nothing. It talks about things people can relate to with a man and his friend,Jerry & George,the wacky neighbour,Kramer and the leading female charactor,Elaine. It is genious story lines where all of their problems entagle in halarity.

To me this is literaly the perfect show. All of the episode are funny, from season 1 all the way to 9. 180 episodes of gold. They created and popularized many phrases (Yada yada yada, double dip, close talker). This show, I think, is underappreciated by the younger generations. The writers did a great job of getting each of the story lines different yet combining into one storyline at the end of the episode. Jason Alexander was perfect as George (who was based on Larry David, writer, creator and producer). Micheal Richards was also perfect for the part of Kramer, his slapstick routine in "The Revenge" was done without a flaw. Jerry's stand-up at the begining of the episodes were halarious but were not in all of the episodes throughout the entire show. For me this is the perfect show for all of these reasons.
  • Really great show! Great jewish humor! Very clever jokes!

Really great show! Great jewish humor! And Jerry's stand-ups from the beginning and end of each episode make the show even more interesting. The characters, Jerry Seinfeld, USA's greatest comedian, George Costanza, USA's favorite looser and Kramer, USA's wackiest and funniest lunatic + Elaine (who I didn't enjoy that much, I really think the show would of been even better without her [initially she was not in the script]), who bought a kind of colour to the group. Very funny stories, inspired from Jerry's and Larry David's real life. Also very clever jokes.

In conclusion: great writing, great acting, great show! One of the greatest sitcoms ever in anyone's oppinion; the greatest sitcom (after Friends) in my oppinion.
  • i love this episode

While doing his stand up act, Jerry takes questions from the crowd. One of the questions is "where did the series come from?" An often asked question, Jerry responds by showing a videotape he's prepared. The video includes his first appearance on "The Tonight Show" (6 May 1981), interviews with his managers, his co-creator Larry David, executives from NBC and Castle Rock, his fellow cast mates, and other people involved with the production during the early years (the pilot through season. All of this is interspersed with numerous clips from the show. At the end when asked if they are going to do a reunion show, Jerry answers "Ah yes, you've just saw it, I hope you enjoyed it." This is followed by several bloopers.
  • Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom to date, bottom line. From it's different personalities implanted in every character, to it's quotes, quips and situations. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks all of this. Kramer makes this show completely.

I think it's a great show, my favorite show in fact, the pure fact that the actual series is over and it's still on air is a proven fact that it's demanded by the majority of the sitcom fanbase. I always tune in at 5:00 Central time to check out what crazy situation the crew are in, and I've probably seen every episode, that's how addicting it is. No other show out there will solidify the top slot as Seinfeld has. It definitely has a place in my heart, as I'm sure it does in yours too.
  • Giddy up!

I saw almost every episode... but why is it the best show ever? The characters are very well chosen from the mass: Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer.

George: fat, bold, short... unattractive. He has always problems with his job and girls he dates. He is very funny, but he is also very sad, because of his problems... he is a very good friend of Jerry's since he was in high-school. But he isn't Kramer.

Elaine: girl... the only girl in the fourth group. She is an old girlfriend of Jerry's. But she isn't Kramer.

Jerry: the main character, he owns the apartment where everybody hangs around. He is a stand-up comedian, he has a good financial situation. But he still isn't Kramer.

The Kramer: RULZ. He is the funniest man alive, he is all stupid, lucky, smart, borrower, Kramer, advice giver, business manager, unemployed(but he doesn't need money). He is Kramer.

Watch Seinfeld...watch Kramer.
  • Jerry seinfeld made a sitcom

Seinfeld is an Emmy Award-winning sitcom that originally aired on NBC from July 5, 1989, to May 14, 1998, running a total of nine seasons. Many of its catchphrases have entered into the pop culture lexicon. The show was the most popular sitcom of the 1990s, leading the Nielsen Ratings in its sixth and ninth seasons. Geographically, it took place on the Upper West Side—a neighborhood in the borough of Manhattan in New York City.

The series was created by Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld, with the latter starring as an eponymous, fictionalized version of himself. Set predominantly in an apartment block on New York City's Upper West Side, the show features a host of Jerry's friends and acquaintances, including George Costanza (Jason Alexander), Elaine Benes (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) and Cosmo Kramer (Michael Richards). Seinfeld was produced by Castle Rock Entertainment, (which Warner Bros. owns), and distributed by Columbia Pictures Television and Columbia TriStar Television (now Sony Pictures Television). Seinfeld was largely co-written by David and Seinfeld, with later input from numerous script writers, including Larry Charles, Peter Mehlman, Gregg Kavet, Andy Robin, Carol Leifer, David Mandel, Jeff Schaffer, Steve Koren, Jennifer Crittenden, Tom Gammill & Max Pross, Alec Berg and Spike Feresten.

Contents [show]
    1 Overview 1.1 Major characters 1.2 Minor characters 1.3 "No hugging, no learning" 2 Criticism and popularity 2.1 Seasons 1–3: The early years 2.2 Seasons 4–5: Seinfeld's prime 2.3 Seasons 6–7: Return to crawl-form 2.4 Seasons 8–9: After Larry David 3 Ending 3.1 Hype 3.2 Awards 4 DVD releases 5 Life after Seinfeld 5.1 The "Seinfeld curse" 5.2 Successes 6 Consumer products 6.1 Seinfeld re-creations 7 Trivia 8 References 9 See also 10 External links [edit] Overview
    While most television sitcoms to date had been mostly family- or coworker-driven, none of the Seinfeld characters are related by blood or employed by the same organization; in fact, many characters were not employed at all. Like the self-parodying "show within a show" episodes of year four, Seinfeld was perhaps, more than other sitcoms, a "show about nothing." This is because the episodes' plots concerned themselves not with huge events or comical situations, but instead focused on the minutiae of real life, such as waiting in line at the movies, going to eat, buying a suit and so on. Tom's Restaurant, a diner at 112th St. and Broadway in Manhattan, referred to as Monk's Cafe in the show.In the original concept, the show featured clips of Seinfeld himself delivering a stand-up comedy routine in a club (in reality, the studio), the theme of which relates to the events depicted in the plot, at the beginning, middle, and end of each episode. This device deliberately blurred the distinction between the actor Jerry Seinfeld and the character whom he portrays, as well as served one of the central elements of the show: to display where Jerry (the comedian) gets his material. After season three, the clips in the middle became less frequent, after season five, the clips at the end became less frequent, and after season seven, the clips were ultimately discontinued. The show's main characters were modeled after Seinfeld's and David's real-life acquaintances. Many of the plot devices too are based on real-life counterparts—such as the Soup Nazi (based on Soup Kitchen International manager Al Yegenah), Jacopo Peterman of the J. Peterman catalogue, and New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner.

In virtually every Seinfeld episode, one story thread is presented at the beginning, involving the characters in separate and unrelated situations. Rapid scene shifts between story lines moves the action forward as rapidly as possible and eventually the separate story lines meet. Despite the separate plot strands, the narratives show "consistent efforts to maintain [the] intimacy" between the small cast of characters.

The show kept a strong sense of continuity—characters and plots from past episodes were frequently referenced or expanded upon. Occasionally, storylines would span multiple episodes and even entire seasons. Larry David, the show's head writer and executive producer for the first seven seasons, was celebrated for keeping a close eye on minor details and making sure the main characters' lives remained consistent and believable, and would later make use of season-long story arcs in his next series, Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Another aspect of the show that was different from most sitcoms was that it was purely a comedy, having no serious or dramatic moments.

[edit] Major characters
    Jerry Seinfeld (played by Jerry Seinfeld)—Jerry is the "passive central player" in the show, a figure who is "able to observe the chaos around him but not always be a part of it." Jerry works as a comedian in the show. Plot lines involving Jerry often concern his various relationships—Jerry often finds "stupid reasons to break up" with women, something which according to Elaine occurs "every week." While seemingly the normal one in the group, his character is made neurotic by his obsessive cleanliness and his steadfast devotion to immaturity. George Costanza (played by Jason Alexander)—Once succinctly described by Elaine as a "short, stocky, slow-witted, bald man", George is neurotic and self-loathing. Paranoid, selfish, abrasive, a flagrant coward and an expert liar, George is arguably the show's most immoral character. He has been best friends with Jerry since their middle school years. Elaine Benes (played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus)—Intelligent and assertive, but superficial and short-tempered, Elaine is frequently a victim of fate. She may get caught up in the machinations of the other characters, or come into conflict with boyfriends or the arbitrary requirements of her eccentric employers. She used to date Jerry, and remains close friends with him. One of Elaine's trademark maneuvers is she uses a forceful shove when given good, or shocking news. Cosmo Kramer (played by Michael Richards)—Kramer is the archetypal "wacky neighbor" and friend of Jerry. His trademarks include his humorous upright bouffant hairstyle and vintage wardrobe, a combination which led a former girlfriend to characterize him as a 'hipster doofus'; his energetic sliding bursts through Jerry's apartment door; his assortment of comic pratfalls; and his penchant for nonsensical, percussive outbursts of noise to indicate alarm, skepticism, agreement, or annoyance. Although one of the more fascinating characters on the show, he was the only one not to have had an internal monologue even once, this is most likely because he always says what is on his mind. [edit] Minor characters
    Main article: Minor characters in Seinfeld
    There were numerous recurring minor characters in Seinfeld. The most prominent were:

Newman (played by Wayne Knight)—An overweight postal worker who served as an accomplice of Kramer and a nemesis of Jerry, Newman was a neighbor of both (Apartment 5F) and was noted for his excessive and enthusiastic eating habits. When Jerry and Newman meet, Jerry usually quips, "Hello, Newman." while scowling at him, and Newman replies "Hello, Jerry." while smirking at him devilishly. In some episodes, Newman goes completely out of his way to make life more difficult for Jerry. All of the main characters curse his name at least once from being tricked by him in some way by saying "Newman!", while on some occasions, Newman has done the same for Jerry, saying "Jerry!" in the same manner. Frank Costanza (played by Jerry Stiller) and Estelle Costanza (played by Estelle Harris)—George's eccentric parents. George credits them with his current mental state and failure at a successful life. Susan Ross (played by Heidi Swedberg)—George's (late) fiancée. She was previously an NBC executive and she also briefly experimented with lesbianism. She died from envelope glue poisoning. Morty Seinfeld (played by Barney Martin) and Helen Seinfeld (played by Liz Sheridan)—Jerry's parents. Morty was most famous for obstinately sticking to his convictions; Helen didn't understand why anyone wouldn't like her son Jerry, and perennially believes he is financially strapped, as they never let him pay for anything (Morty once tried to pay for dinner even when he didn't have his wallet). These two characters are thought to be based on Jerry Seinfeld's parents. Uncle Leo (played by Len Lesser)—Jerry's uncle and Helen's brother. He personified the eccentric old man and frequently belittled Jerry with comparisons to his own purportedly successful son. Usually greets Jerry by saying, "Jerry! Hellooo!", while Jerry responds awkwardly, "Hello Uncle Leo..." David Puddy (played by Patrick Warburton)—Elaine's on-and-off boyfriend. He was a fine auto mechanic, but was also an airhead with numerous quirks. J. Peterman (played by John O'Hurley)—Elaine's eccentric boss. He owned the J. Peterman haberdashery whose catalog Elaine worked on. Known to ramble on and on about his journeys to far off locations to find unique clothing in the style of a treasure hunter describing his adventures. George Steinbrenner (voiced by Larry David in a rapid-fire non-stop delivery)—George's boss and owner of the New York Yankees. Steinbrenner's face was never shown. He was parodied for his arrogance and being out-of-touch with the actual running of a baseball team. In edited scenes, the real George Steinbrenner made a cameo appearance and went out with Elaine. The scenes were cut due to time and can be seen in the 7th season DVD. Sue Ellen Mischke (played by Brenda Strong)—Elaine's nemesis. She is referred to as the 'braless wonder' due to her tendency to not wear a brassiere. She is the heiress to the O'Henry candy bar fortune. Jackie Chiles (played by Phil Morris)—Kramer's lawyer. Has a secretary named Suzy and sets up appointments for his clients with an unseen "Dr. Bison." Speaks quite fast and tends to overuse adjectives like 'preposterous' and 'outrageous'. Chiles is a caricature of real-world (now deceased) lawyer Johnnie Cochran. Mr. Wilhelm (played by Richard Herd)—George's supervisor at the New York Yankees. Mr. Lippman (played by Richard Fancy)—Elaine's boss. Owner of Pendant Publishing. Opened up a bakery that sold only the tops of muffins. [edit] "No hugging, no learning"
    Seinfeld violated several of the conventions of mainstream television. The show, which (correctly or not) is often described as "about nothing",[1][2][3] became the first television series widely described as postmodern.[4] Several elements of Seinfeld fit in with a postmodern interpretation.

The characters were: "thirty-something singles ... with no roots, vague identities, and conscious indifference to morals." And the usual convention of isolating the characters from the actors playing them, and separating the characters' world from that of the actors and audience was broken. For example, the story arc in which the characters are promoting a television sitcom series named Jerry: Jerry was much like Seinfeld in that Seinfeld played himself, and that the show was "about nothing." Jerry was launched in the 1993 season four finale, though unlike Seinfeld, it was not picked up into a series.

On the set this was expressed as the "no hugging, no learning" rule, which held that the characters should not develop or improve throughout the series.

This quote is almost referenced in an episode ("The Secret Code") where Kramer says to Jerry "Well the point is, you learned something" to which Jerry replies "No, I didn't"

Theologian Stanley Grenz maintains that another factor in, or further proof of, spectators' and characters' participation in a larger Seinfeld community is the large amount of in-slang, "a lexicon of Seinfeldian code words and recurring phrases that go unnoticed by the infrequent or 'unknowing' viewer".[4] Only the cognoscenti would understand the concepts of "double dipping" or "close-talking", or appreciate the addition of "not that there's anything wrong with that" by someone trying to take the edge off a politically incorrect remark.

[edit] Criticism and popularity

[edit] Seasons 1–3: The early years
    The show premiered as The Seinfeld Chronicles on Thursday, May 31, 1990 on NBC. The show was not an immediate success. After the pilot was shown, on July 5, 1989, a pickup by the NBC network did not seem likely and the show was actually offered to Fox, which declined to pick it up. However, Rick Ludwin, head of late night and special events for NBC, diverted money from his budget, and the next four episodes: "Male-Unbonding," "The Stakeout," "The Robbery," and "The Stock Tip" were filmed.

Seinfeld was championed by television critics in its early seasons, even as it had yet to cultivate a substantial audience. The series was generally seen as steadily improving over the course of its first four seasons. Although the first three seasons weren't popular during their original airings, through syndication and DVD releases they contain arguably some of the most popular episodes, such as "The Chinese Restaurant", "The Revenge", "The Phone Message", "The Pony Remark", "The Parking Garage", "The Tape, "The Red Dot", "The Stranded", "The Deal" and "The Pez Dispenser".

[edit] Seasons 4–5: Seinfeld's prime
    Season 4 marked the sitcom's entrance into the Nielsen ratings Top 30, coinciding with a handful of high-profile episodes, such as "The Outing", "The Bubble Boy", and "The Junior Mint". This was also the first season to use a story arc for Jerry creating his own sitcom, Jerry.

Much publicity followed the controversial "The Contest," an Emmy Award-winning episode written by co-creator Larry David, whose subject matter masturbation was considered very risque. Strangely, the word masturbation was not even used in the script itself. Midway through that season Seinfeld was moved from its original 9pm timeslot on Wednesdays to 9:30pm on Thursdays, following Cheers, which gave the show even more popularity. The show won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series in 1993.

Season 5 was also a hit season as it contained many popular episodes such as "The Mango", "The Puffy Shirt", "The Marine Biologist", "The Hamptons", "The Opposite" and many more, making it the show's most successful season. Another story arc was used in the season where George is living with his crazy parents for the entire season. This was also the first season to be shown on the 9pm timeslot on Thursdays, replacing Cheers. The show was again nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series, but lost to the Cheers spin-off Frasier, which was only in its first season. Seinfeld was nominated for the same award every year for the rest of its run, but would keep losing to Frasier.

[edit] Seasons 6–7: Return to crawl-form
    Season 6 found the show changing directors (Andy Ackerman replacing Tom Cherones) and quickening its pace, to the displeasure of some. Even so, the series remained well-regarded and produced some of its most famous shows, such as "The Fusilli Jerry", "The Jimmy" and "The Switch" which finally revealed Kramer's first name, Cosmo. A story arc for this season was Elaine working for the eccentric Mr. Justin Pitt for the entire season. This was also the first season in which Seinfeld landed at #1 on the Nielsen ratings.

According to the cast, crew and many critics, the series fully returned to form in its seventh season. Another story arc was introduced in which George became engaged to former girlfriend Susan Ross, whose life he had derailed a few seasons back. Garnering its highest ratings yet, Seinfeld went on to produce some of its most famous episodes—namely "The Soup Nazi in which Elaine gets revenge on a draconian owner of a soup restaurant, "The Sponge" and "The Rye." The season ended on a highly polarizing note, however: "The Invitations", featuring a dark and unexpected plot twist in which George's fiancée Susan suddenly dies. The cause of death is revealed to be a toxic glue contained on cheap wedding invitations, which were selected by frugal George earlier in the episode. When delivered the news of her passing, the four main characters are hardly affected; George even seems relieved that his engagement has been so neatly dissolved.

[edit] Seasons 8–9: After Larry David
    The show continued to dominate the Nielsen ratings in its final two seasons (8 and 9), but its critical standing suffered. This coincided with the departure of Larry David, the series co-creator, longtime writer and executive producer.

In David's absence, and under the direction of a new writing staff, Seinfeld became more of a fast-paced, absurdist show. The humor began to rely heavily on slapstick, and storylines occasionally delved into pure fantasy—such as a thread in which birthday wishes are shown to come true, or where a night club magically transforms into a meat-packing plant by morning. This was a dramatic shift from the character and dialog-based humor of past seasons, and one lamented by many critics while coinciding with increasingly stronger ratings.[5] Many popular episodes, such as "The Bizarro Jerry" and "The Strike", hail from this period; the latter being responsible for introducing Festivus into the pop culture lexicon.

The New York Post went so far as to conduct a poll early in the ninth season, asking readers whether or not the most recent episodes were as strong as the classic reruns, then ubiquitous in syndication. More than half of those polled felt that Seinfeld was not up to its previous standards. Jerry Seinfeld responded with a letter to the paper, thanking them for considering his show to be worthy of such a survey. [citations needed]

[edit] Ending

[edit] Hype Jerry Seinfeld on the cover of TIME magazine in 1998.After nine years on the air and 176 episodes filmed (along with four clip shows), Jerry Seinfeld announced on December 26, 1997, that the series would end production the following spring. The announcement made the front page of all the major New York newspapers, including the New York Times. Jerry Seinfeld was even featured on the cover of Time magazine's first issue of 1998.[6]

The series ended with a 75-minute episode (cut down to 60 minutes in syndication, in two parts) written by returning co-creator and former executive producer Larry David, which aired on May 14, 1998. Before the finale a one-hour retrospective and clip show aired which included memorable scenes from the show's 176 episodes.

It also was the first episode since the seventh season to feature opening and closing stand-up acts by Jerry Seinfeld. The finale was filmed in front of an audience of NBC executives and additional friends of the show. The press and the public were shut out of the filming for the sake of keeping its plot secret, and all who attended the finale signed written "vows of silence."[7] The secrecy only seemed to increase speculation on how the series would end. Some suggested Jerry and Elaine would marry, and more cynical fans favored Julia Louis-Dreyfus's suggestion that the foursome die in a car accident after all their wishes come true. The producers of the show tweaked the media about the hype, spreading a false rumor about Newman ending up in the hospital and Jerry and Elaine sitting in a chapel, presumably to marry.[8] The 'New York four' are led to their fate at the end of "The Finale".Since the episode aired on the same day that Frank Sinatra died, the episode's airing was largely overshadowed by this event, but it still enjoyed a huge audience, estimated at 76 million viewers. This makes the episode the third most watched finale in television history[citation needed], but received mixed reviews from both critics and fans of the show. The actual finale poked fun at the many rumors that were circulating, seeming to move into several supposed plots before settling on its true storyline—a lengthy trial in which Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer are prosecuted for lack of humanity. Many people may not be aware that the last line in this, the last episode, was the same as the first line in the first episode, speaking of the positioning of a button on George's shirt.

Main article: The Finale (Seinfeld episode)
    Jerry Seinfeld holds both the record for the "most money refused" according to the Guinness Book of World Records by refusing an offer to continue the show for $5 million per episode, and another record for the Highest Ever Annual Earnings For A TV Actor.[citation needed] while the show itself held the record for the Highest Television Advertising Rates until 2004, when the final episode of Friends aired.[citation needed]

[edit] Awards
    The show topped TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time in 2002, and placed two characters in TV Guide's List of the 50 Greatest TV Characters of All Time (George at #10, Kramer at #35) in 1999. The four members of the main cast shared the #6 position on A&E's all-time TV character list. It was so influential in the '90s popular culture, it came in first in E!'s 2004 countdown of 101 Reasons the '90s Ruled. For its impact, the show won countless awards throughout the decade, winning 10 Emmy Awards and being nominated every year of its run. In January 2006 Britain's Channel 4 polled British comedians, TV critics, comedy actors and sitcom writers to find the 'Ultimate Sitcom'. Seinfeld came in 3rd, showing its high regard overseas.

[edit] DVD releases
    Main article: Seinfeld DVD releases
    In 2004, a deal was negotiated to make Seinfeld available on DVD for the first time. Due to legal problems with the cast involving episode commentary and other DVD extras, the release was pushed back. The first three seasons were released on November 23, 2004, and Season 4 was released on May 17, 2005. Season 5 and Season 6 were released on November 22, 2005. Season 7 was released in the U.S. on November 21, 2006. Season 8 is going to be released in the U.S. on June 5, 2007.

[edit] Life after Seinfeld

[edit] The "Seinfeld curse"
    Alexander, Louis-Dreyfus and Richards have all attempted unsuccessfully to launch new sitcoms as title-role characters. Despite decent acclaim and even some respectable ratings, almost every show was canceled quickly, usually within the first season. This has given rise to the term "Seinfeld curse" to describe sitcom failure by an actor following massive success on an ensemble show. Shows specifically cited regarding the Seinfeld curse are Jason Alexander's Bob Patterson (TV series) and Listen Up!, Michael Richards' The Michael Richards Show, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Watching Ellie.

Since the end of the program, Alexander has acted in film, theater and television, including guest appearances on Larry David's HBO series Curb Your Enthusiasm. Louis-Dreyfus also appeared on "Curb" and has received on-screen and voice credits in television (such as Arrested Development) and animated film. Louis-Dreyfus is starring in the CBS sitcom The New Adventures of Old Christine, which debuted in March 2006 to strong ratings and has been consistent ever since. The show was also renewed for a second season. Its 35 episodes make it the longest running show starring a Seinfeld alumnus since Seinfeld ended. Louis-Dreyfus also received an Emmy Award for lead actress in a comedy series for her role as Christine. In her acceptance speech, Louis-Dreyfus held up her award and exclaimed, "I’m not somebody who really believes in curses, but curse this, baby!"[9] The "Seinfeld curse" was discussed in the opening of Saturday Night Live episode on May 13, 2006, hosted by Louis-Dreyfus. The show was also renewed for its third season, and will return as a midseason replacement, through the 2007-08 season. Alexander and Seinfeld also appeared in this episode of SNL. Richards continues to appear in new film and television work as well. In November 2006, controversy arose concerning racial epithets Richards shouted at black hecklers during a live comedy show.[10] He willingly apologized for his statements a few days after the show by means of a telecast on David Letterman's talkshow as a request of Jerry Seinfeld .

"It's so completely idiotic.... It's very hard to have a successful sitcom," Larry David once said of the curse.[11] Most new sitcoms do not enjoy the success of hits like Seinfeld, though David's Curb Your Enthusiasm went on to win Emmy Awards; the series relied on his signature humor, embodied in the Seinfeld character of George.

Patrick Warburton, who played David Puddy, was also hit by the curse when his superhero-themed show, The Tick, was canceled after just one season. However, he has found success in voice acting. His repertoire includes the voice of Joe Swanson in Family Guy, the title character of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Steve Barkin in Kim Possible, the Wolf in Hoodwinked, and Kronk in The Emperor's New Groove, Kronk's New Groove, and the The Emperor's New School. Lately, he can be seen on ABC's show Less Than Perfect as Jeb Denton, and on Adult Swim's The Venture Brothers as Brock Samson. Since February 5, 2007 he stars in a new series, Rules of Engagement.

[edit] Successes
    Alexander was also the voice of Duckman, a series whose 1994 until 1997 run coincided with Seinfeld as well as guest starring as "Leonard" on Malcolm in the Middle. Wayne Knight has since had roles of similar importance to Newman, as in the not-so-successful The Edge, and as a police officer in 3rd Rock from the Sun. He has also done some voice acting, notably as the dragon Dojo in Xiaolin Showdown, and later on, as Mr. Blik in the Nickelodeon cartoon Catscratch. The actor who really broke "the curse" was Jerry Stiller, who was cast successfully as Arthur, Doug Heffernan's annoying father-in-law in The King of Queens. Bryan Cranston, who had a semi-recurring role on Seinfeld as Dr. Tim Whatley, was cast as Hal in the successful FOX sitcom Malcolm in the Middle. He also had a recurring role as Doug Heffernan's annoying neighbor Tim Sacksky on The King of Queens.

In the summer of 2005, John O'Hurley, who played J. Peterman in a recurring role on the final seasons of Seinfeld, received extensive publicity when he finished as the runner-up on the highly rated American ABC reality series Dancing with the Stars. He was topped in this effort by Kelly Monaco, but won the subsequent "rematch". O'Hurley has gone on to make cameo appearances in many other programs, including SpongeBob SquarePants and Drake & Josh, and has done numerous television commercials for GCI, an Alaskan phone and Internet communications company. In addition, he appeared in a commercial for Progressive Insurance, in which he portrayed a character very similar to the Peterman character. On September 11, 2006, O'Hurley began hosting Family Feud, replacing Richard Karn. Also, in a case of life imitating art, O'Hurley became a major investor in the real-life J. Peterman catalog company, and sits on the company's board of directors.

[edit] Consumer products
    A recurring feature of Seinfeld was its use of specific products, especially candy, as plot points. These might be a central feature of a plot (e.g. Junior Mints, Twix, Jujyfruits, Snickers, Chunky, Oh Henry! and Pez), or an association of a candy with a guest character (e.g. Oh Henry! bars), or simply a conversational aside (e.g. Chuckles). Non-candy products featured in Seinfeld include Rold Gold pretzels (whose advertisements at the time featured Jason Alexander), Kenny Rogers Roasters (a chicken restaurant chain), Oreo Cookies, Ben & Jerry's, H&H Bagels, Drake's Coffee Cakes, Pepsi, Bosco Chocolate Syrup, Cadillac, Saab, Ford Escort, Specialized Bicycles, BMW, Tupperware, Calvin Klein, Klein Bicycles, Ovaltine, Arby's, TV Guide, Trump Tower, the board games Risk, Boggle, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, and Battleship, Entenmann's and the J. Peterman clothing catalog. The computers in Jerry's apartment are always Apple Macintosh; the featured model changed every few seasons to reflect Apple's latest offerings. Also seen throughout the show's run were many different brands of cereal, since Jerry ate a lot of it.

One product placement, for Snapple, was inserted as a parody of product placement; when offered some by Elaine in the middle of a conversation, the character Babu Bhatt's brother declines, calling the drink "too fruity."

The show's creators claim that they were not engaging in a product placement strategy for commercial gain. One of the motivations for the use of real-world products, quite unrelated to commercial considerations, is the comedy value of funny-sounding phrases and words. "I knew I wanted Kramer to think of watching the operation like going to see a movie," explained Seinfeld writer/producer Andy Robin in an interview published in the Hollywood Reporter. "At first, I thought maybe a piece of popcorn falls into the patient. I ran that by my brother, and he said, 'No, Junior Mints are just funnier.'"

Nevertheless, Seinfeld is widely credited by marketers and advertisers with effecting a change in attitude toward product placement in US primetime TV shows. Product placement became more common in TV shows after Seinfeld demonstrated that a successful show could work specific products into its plots and dialogue.[citation needed]

Although not exactly product placements but of a fanboyism as Jerry, himself a real life collector, several episodes feature a Porsche-themed painting (depicting a 904 GTS race car competing in the 1964 Targa Florio race in Italy, which it won) on a wall in Seinfeld's apartment. An issue of Excellence magazine, a Porsche-centered publication, is also featured prominently on an outdoor magazine rack. Similarly, the episode The Pledge Drive takes place at the real-life public television station WNET.

Two other types of advertising also capitalized on Seinfeld. One is a "Webisode," a reverse form of product placement. In this form, instead of inserting its product into an episode, American Express "inserted" Jerry Seinfeld and an animated Superman (voiced by Patrick Warburton, who also acted on the show, playing the role of David Puddy) into its commercial. The second type is the commercial use of the show's actors, such as Jason Alexander in a Chrysler commercial. In this type, which ran after the series ended, Alexander behaves much like his character George, and his relationship with Lee Iacocca plays on his George's relationship with George Steinbrenner. Similarly, Michael Richards was the focus of a series of advertisements for Vodafone which ran in Australia where he dressed and behaved exactly like Kramer, including the trademark bumbling pratfalls.

In addition to placement of actual products, repeated mention and use of the fictional Hennigan's whiskey was inserted throughout the series. With the exception a few notable episodes (and then usually relating to Elaine or her current beau), alcohol was typically absent from consumption or mention.

[edit] Seinfeld re-creations
    Perth, Australia-based comedian and hoaxer Anthony Frosh attempted numerous Seinfeld situation recreations, the best known being a setup in which he posed as Mr. Bookman (i.e. The Library cop from "The Library") to head film critic Mark Naglazas for the West Australian. The incident was covered each day for a week in May 2005 in the inside cover of that publication, until Frosh eventually revealed the hoax.
  • A brilliant show.

This is a show that turned a new page in my life and started me on a boom to love television, because I hardly ever watched tv before that this made me think off sitcoms a totally different way, not just as stupid things that never made me laugh, but as things that were entertainment. This is propably the best sitcom ever and I encourage everyone to watch it, because it's wonderful and if you ever feel sad, just put on seinfeld and I guarantee laughter & happiness will fly your way, because this is what we call entertainment! Enjoy!
  • The most quotable sitcom of all time.

Every great comedy has, at one time, had to reinvent itself to stay fresh: MASH, Cheers, All in the Family, even The Simpsons. Of all these, only Seinfeld has managed to do so without sacrificing or selling out. The show took an abrupt turn after season 3 and again after season 6. But it was still funny. It never taught us a lesson, got sentimental or preachy. It was just funny. The plots became so riduculous at times, yet the characters remained the same, and that is why Seinfeld never got old. It left on top. Every epidsode was funny, a claim which no other show can truthfully make.
  • Seinfeld is a very witty show that shows how creative the creators, Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David are. This show is the best show I have seen. If you have never seen an episode before go out to the store and buy every season available.

Seinfeld is the best show that ever aired on television. Many shows today are spin-offs and branch from this show. Such shows include Curb Your Enthusiasm or Entourage. These are both great shows as well with wonderfully witty humor. The only reason some people look poorly upon this show is because they are not clever enough to understand the humor. Jerry Seinfeld is a genius when it comes to comedy and it shows when he is in his fifties and still touring. I have seen one of his recent shows and it was hilarious. All the acting in Seinfeld in suburb with great enthusiasm. Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dryfus, and Michael Richards are phenomenal when it comes to their work. Michael Richards has excellent physical acting and stays in character all the time. The others are all forced to portray characters that are nothing like who they are in real life, especially George (Jason Alexander). Seinfeld is a show about nothing but is a show about plenty. That’s how masterful it is. If you still wish Seinfeld was airing I would suggest watching the re-runs of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, or possibly The King of Queens. I would still advise that you continue watching the re-runs of Seinfeld because they never get old.
  • too funny

THis was one of the first emslemble comdies that i watched growing up. This was a great cast of people together. Kramer was my favorite character the way he would walk into Jerry's apartment. However it wasn't walking in he would slide in. When I'm with a group of friends we still quote funny parts of this show. We still do impersonations of Elaine dancing kicking her feet and poking out her thumbs. I've even heared the reference to the soup nazi many times since the show has left the air. "No soup for you!" There were many memerable moments that will never be forgotten.
  • Not bad, not bad :)

I caught a few episodes of Seinfeld over it's final two seasons run on public channel, and made it a point to catch a lot more of Jerry and friends during it's reruns. I found it very amusing on first viewings, but as time wore on, I began to like it more and more, and to eagerly borrow taped episodes from friends, and to hunt for re-runs on syndicated channels.

Of the two comedy TV series in the history of television, I would choose both Seinfeld and Monty Python as the cultural landmarks of the medium. In Seinfeld, there is not a trace of sentimentality and glib moralizing that plagues the American sitcom genre. Characters do not hug each other on Christmas, fall in love, wax on and on about family and friends, there is no faux-cathartic season ender so favoured by the writers of, say, "Friends".

Instead, we have the narcissistic Jerry, constantly mining the minutiae of everyday detail for every bit of situational comedy; we have the hyper-aggressive Elaine, whose strings of breakups with boyfriends are as impressive as her petty neuroses leading up to the breakups themselves; the ultimate schlub-loser George, who lies to every single woman he dates, sells faulty equipment to the handicapped and muscles off women and children when fleeing an apartment fire; and the impossibly inventive physical comedy of the entrepreneur cum schmooze Kramer.

Over and over again, week in and week out, the quartet discuss trivialities with unbridled zeal, as the non-descript narrative pings from one mundane setting to another. Seldom has such wit been generated by such gargantually pointless human endeavours. That is where the brilliance of Seinfeld lies, in the ability to go to the most bizarre ends to fulfill the potential of a less than hopeful comedic premise; and the endless, pointlessly smug and nihilistic banter that almost invariably escalates into some of TV's classic lines, such as when George shouts triumphantly after winning an argument that "there is no bigger loser than me!".

Surely, we won't find something like this again, for many more years to come.
  • Definately my favorite comedy show of all time. I love how during the show they make fun of the idea, but still understand that the idea was just great. Nobody knew at the time but every follower is a firm believe in the idea of the show about nothing.

I understand one thing about Seinfeld, its definately a love it or hate it show. I personally love it, the plot is great. A show about our daily lives aka nothing. I am a huge fan of Jerry Seinfeld's comedy in the first place, and this show just always seams to crack me up no matter how many times I've seen the episodes. If youve never seen any shows and you like comedy this is definately a great choice.
    Character Intro:
    Jerry- Probably the most sane character on the whole show. He has the funniest remarks about his friends, but is also a loyal guy. Gets in the middle of things with all the friends on the show in a good way most of the time. Jerry plays himself on the show and I definately think his one liners to his friends are great and his non friendship with a certain Postal worker are great for the small camera time he has. Jerry is my favorite character by far, because of his constant sarcasm towards George his best friend and also Kramer.
    George- Extremely funny and very sick on the head. George has absoluetly gone right out of his mind in almost every episode, but is just always hilarious. I think George is a very underrated part of the show because he is a big part of it, and is definately one reason the show reached such great heights.
    Kramer-Another necesity to the show. Always poppin into Jerrys place is definately what makes Kramer. Kramer is defniately the best character on the show, no doubt about it. This show made Kramer a household name, everybody watching the show when it originally aired loved him. Alot of people watched the show just for Kramer alone. If you dont know about him, watch the show and ull learn quick.
    Elaine- I think she may have been one of the weaker points of the show, but the show is considered one of the best in my opinion ever. So by weak point i mean least good point of the show, I sometimes feel they jsut threw some weak sorylines for Elaine because she was the female and they needed a storyline every show for her but I feel when she is with the group she is definately a great character.
    Some Underrated Characters- Newman, Kenny Banya, David Putty.
  • A show about nothing yet we all continue to laugh and reminisce about this classic show of four friends who go about their everyday lives and encounter some problem yet their back to where they started: in Jerry's apt.

This is one of the defining shows of the 1990's. I remember watching this show with my grandparents and always laughing about George's problems, Jerry's sarcasim, Elaine's fiestiness and Kramer's weird_and_unusual habits. I do wish this show could've continued but all good things must come to an end. Even_though_it's_no_longer running on NBC, I still catch reruns on Fox and TBS and it never gets old. Each character brings something to the show making it a treat for every episode. Hopefully_a_reunion comes soon. Seeing these four off television needs to change!
  • very funny

Seinfeld - Well, what can I say... If you havn`t seen it, your`re really missing out on a great deal. This show is by far the best sit-com ever televised. Its genius is built from the total lack of story. Meaning in short terms that Seinfeld is in fact a show about nothing. There surely was never an episode of Seinfeld that ranked as an absolute stinker.They are all so funny in there own way.Like jerry thinks every single thing has to be clean and picks the littlestof thibgs to break up with his girlfreinds
    So thanks you guys, for making life worthwhile!
  • Who knew a show about nothing could end up being so good, and legendary? And still being laughed at years after it ended.

Seinfeld is legendary. I mean everyone knows who the Soup Nazi is (it's even an emblem on TV.com, I think it's level 3). Seinfeld is a very funny, and so much like real life (unlike a lot of television); the things you wish you would do. Seinfeld is so different than all other shows. The character's all have their signature things they do a lot, but yet, it never gets old. There's always a funny side-plot besides the main one. And don't forget about Jerry's funny monologues, which end up having to do with the whole show. I have seen all the episodes multiple times, and still laugh at the same thing over, and over, it's just that funny. Who knew a show about nothing could end up being so good, and legendary? And still being laughed at years after it ended.
  • Hilarious Show

This is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen in my life. Its about the lives of Jerry Seinfeld, Kramer, George Kastanza, and Elain Bennice. Every episode will leave you laughing after the episode ends. Different things happen in each episode. Kramer is the crazy one, Jerry is a comedian, George works at the Yankee stadium, and Elain works for J. Peterman in the catalog. The show is pretty much about nothing they just talk about different stuff and there isn't a storyline. All four of them are very funny in their own way and anybody who likes comedy should definently watch this show.
  • Funny, unique...awesome!

THE show about nothing. During it's run, this show was my dad's favorite and quickly become a favorite of mine. It's hilarious. There are so many times in life that I can relate an event to something that happened on this show.
    I still watch the show in reruns, but it is absolutely not the same as watching a new episode. The show is still funny.
    I love the cast of characters and they picked the right actors to play them. George Costanza would be no George if someone else besides Jason Alexander played him. Same goes for everyone, including Newman.
    This show is a classic.
  • Jerry Seinfeld, and gang.. Show about nothing...

A Show about nothing, thats the concept of this show, talkin about everyday things, normal things, things you find bizzare or things you may find interesting. Such as, a person eating a chocolate bar with a knife and fork (talk about weird). This show was 100% comedy, made you laugh at all times. This is a show that will never be matched. It had everything, talks about relationships, death, naughty naughty, and bang bang... THis show is one of my favorites make sure you take the time out to check this out and you will see why this is my favorite.
  • funny stuff right there. m hm

e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e ee e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e ee e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e ee ee e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e ee e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e eee e e e e e e e e e
  • this show just has some special quality about it!

This show is so awesome! really! I don't know why but this show really intrigued me when I watched it! every single time I watched it I would be trapped in a never ending world of fun a comedy! I just loved how every second of this show was all about making you laugh and that is why it lasted this long! This show has always made me laugh and has become one of my all-time favorite shows! I really don't know why this has become one of my favorite shows because I normally don't watch this kind of thing, ever! but this show just has some special quality about it! I really like this show and I am really sad that it had to be put off the air but I do believe that it got put off the air at the right time!
  • A show about nothing definitely has something to offer.

This show is an all time classic. If you don't enjoy watching this show on a regular basis then I just don't understand you. The brilliance of Jerry Seinfeld is truly present in this masterpiece of a television experience. I can't think of one episode I don't like of this show. The characters are well don't and have distinct characteristics which are noticeable. The social antics and situations they get into go perfectly against the stand up of create and star Jerry Seinfeld. Even the level 3 Soup Nazi reference on this sight is from Seinfeld. This show is truly a timeless classic.
  • Funny, and an excellent family show

This is a show about nothing; however, for a show about nothing, this show has many complex plots, sub-plots, is very well written and put together. So much so that until the public caught onto the series, the television critics were responsible for helping to keep it alive. The critics further went on and made the series victorious in every category it was eligible for in the 1st Annual American Television Awards. Seinfeld has also won a few Emmy Awards, the George Foster Peabody Award for 1992 and many more. Many of the early episodes were based on the life experiences of series co-creator, Larry David. Stories such as The Stock Tip and The Jacket really happened, as did many others. Across the hall from Larry lived a man named Kenny Kramer, who aside from the physical comedy aspects, lives the life of TV Kramer. Find out all about him at the real Kramer's web site. Some aspects were based on Jerry's life. Jerry's real address in NYC when he was struggling comic was 129 W. 81 St., this is the address used for his building in the series. In the series, Jerry lives in apartment 5A, Kramer in 5B. Viewer Jason Dean Vaupel notes that in a couple of episodes of the second season, Jerry lives in apartment 3A. And Newman's apartment has usually been 5E, but viewer Jeff Holland notes that it sometimes is 5F and that 5E was rented out to someone else as already noted in the episode, The Conversion. Their building is called The Shelley according to viewer Kipp Teague whose discerned that from the awning on the building. However, that building is actually located in Los Angeles, the building at the real address in NYC is much different. Jeff Holland also notes that The Shelley has no visible fire escapes, but there is one outside of Jerry's window. Other aspects are composite of both lives. For example, Elaine's character is half based on Jerry's ex-girlfriend Carol Leifer. Carol joined the production staff in the 5th season. An ex-girlfriend of Larry David's, named Monica Yates, whose father was a noted writer in the other half of the Elaine equation. Larry David once wore a suede jacket that got wet while meeting her father. Another viewer, Bobby Bank, notes that a tribute to Jerry's father is seen in occasional episodes. Jerry's father, named Kal, worked in the sign business, so occasionally in the background you may see a sign that says Kal's Signs. Bobby stated in a trade magazine for the sign industry called Signs of the Times that he...Viewer Robert Buchanan also reminds me that it is ironic that Jerry's father's name is Kal, and Superman's real Kryptonian name is Kal-El.
  • Seinfeld is a cleverly written sit com that follows the everyday life of moderately successful comedian Jerry Seinfeld. A cast of eccentric characters are brought alive by actors Jason Alexander, Michael Richards,and Jerry Stiller.

This is probably one of the best all around sit coms on TV. The show is about nothing, in the sense that it focuses wonderfully developed plots around the ordinary business of life. Very much like the stand up comedy of Jerry Seinfeld (which is featured before each episode), the writing for Seinfeld makes us laugh hysterically at some of the situations we face in life ordinarily.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10