Seinfeld

The Cafe

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Nov 06, 1991 on NBC

• Babu.

This episode was filled with Pakistanis! Chaos releases when Jerry meets Babu & gives him advice, to change his restaurant. Elaine cheats for George. I like how George's girlfriend kicks him out in the end, George was really stupid to give it to Elaine and worst of all let Elaine retake it. Kramer and returning that jacket was a bit stupid but that's about all of Kramer's plots, stupid. Still didn't develop, but i was definitely surprised when Kramer's plot continued in the next episode. Jerry ruins Babu's business sadly, but I never really liked him anyway, he was the source of all the trouble.
  • Jerry's not a good guy, he's very great. A Great guy.

Problems: Jerry sees this man trying to run a new restaurant on his street, but he is not getting any business. Jerry goes to meet him and his name is Baboo (Babu) Bhatt. He gives advice for Baboo to change the restaurant to his home country, Pakastani. When he does this he still doesn't get any business. George's girlfriend wants to give him an i.q. test, but George knows he's not smart enough to ace it. He gives it to Elaine, but Elaine has problems concentrating. Kramer stole a jacket from his mom's old boyfriend, and now he wants it back.

I didn't like this episode at first, but after I watched it a couple more times, I grew to like it. It's actually a very clever and funny episode.
  • Babu!!!

This episode is hilariously pathetic on so many levels. Jerry becomes obsessed with the opening of a small bistro located across the street from his building. His fascination stems from the fact that no one is eating there. Pakistani immigrant Babu Bhatt (Brian George), the owner of The Dream Café, stands at the window of his restaurant sadly, even painfully, watching potential customer after customer walk by without so much as a glance. Jerry, feeling sorry for Babu, watches from afar routing for him, quietly yelling at passersby, “Go in! Come on, go in!”

When Jerry out of pity finally does go in, the overly eager Bhatt, using a pair of tongs, offers him a “steaming hot folded face towel” for his dining pleasure which is blistering hot and gets tossed aside. Later in the episode when Kramer receives the same treatment he practically flies across the room from shock and pain. Jerry, feeling proud that he’s helping Babu by patronizing his establishment, offers the restaurateur some advice. He explains to him that he would probably have more customers if he’d offer some dishes from his native Pakistan, “as apposed to say, the franks and beans.” Jerry thinks, “of course I’ve never had Pakistani food. How bad can it be?” Seinfeld’s advice to change the restaurant to all Pakistani food drives Babu out of business causing him to scold Jerry harshly, “you very bad man, very bad man.”

Tom Leopold wrote this episode based on the true story of an immigrant who opened a small eatery in his neighborhood which soon went under from lack of interest. Leopold says he felt horribly sorry for the owner but never went in because “if I did, I’d have to go back all the time.”

The side story to the episode, where George’s girlfriend wants him to take an IQ test is also true and also funny. George enlists Elaine in a “caper” to take the test for him because George is afraid he’s not smart enough. “People think I’m smart. I’m not smart, not smart.” Elaine’s concerned that she’ll need a quiet place to take the test so she can concentrate. Jerry suggests, “Take it at the Dream Café. You won’t hear a peep.”

All in all this is my favorite episode from season three. Although not considered a classic episode, the line (and the accompanying finger wag), “you bad man, very bad man,” is among the greats from this classic sitcom.