Seinfeld

The Cheever Letters

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 28, 1992 on NBC

• The aftermath.

Well this episode is pretty much an aftermath of the last episode, when Kramer burns down Susan's apartment, I cannot believe Susan hasn't dumped George yet, I mean really, she has been thrown up on, and her cabin burns down, and in this episode she finds out her father is gay because of George. So that is pretty crazy. Susan must really like George. Well besides that Jerry talks dirty to a girl and doesn't want Elaine to find out. And surprise, surprise! She finds out in the last second of the show after taking the money. That is why I love Elaine. Anyways Kramer's plot was sort of dry but great episode overall.
  • Very clever

This is a classic Seinfeld episode. It has all the elements needed for successful episode, a good plot, fine acting (especially from the actress who played Susan’s mother) and plenty of jokes that consistently deliver guffaws and belly laughs all the way through. Who could forget when George, after hearing the dirty talk that Elaine’s secretary said to Jerry, involuntarily squeezed the ketchup bottle causing it to squirt off-screen. Its moments like that, and like Elaine’s zinger at the end (“My mother just bought me some panties and they’re all laid out for me”) that make this a memorable episode.
  • Jerry offends Elaine's assistant with the "panty remark." Kramer makes a new contact for his Cuban cigars. A box of letters from John Cheever is all that remains after the Ross cabin burns down.

I must admit I was pretty dissapointed with Season Four so far. It's considered to be a "breakthrough season", yet the first seven episodes (especially "The Bubble Boy") I thought were not of the same quality as Season Three delivered, perhaps because of my heightened expectations. Don't get me wrong, they were still funny, but not roll-over-on-the-ground funny like "the Boyfriend" or "The Fix-Up". That all changed when I saw this episode. I couldn't stop laughing! It may seem like a lot of things are going on, and it's true you may not laugh as much if you haven't seen the rest of the season(I do think a more appropriate title for this episode would have been "The Panty Remark"), but I don't think many episodes of Seinfeld could top this one, especially that last line.