Seinfeld

The Contest

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Nov 18, 1992 on NBC

• perfect

the gang have a contest to see who can go the longest without... doing something... and they all bet 100 (Elaine bets 150). but they are soon all tempted. who will end up winning this bet?

hilarious episode, i can't think of one scene that did not make me laugh. are you master of your domain?, and the ever famous "I'm out!" line, this episode is really hilarious from start to finish, with every scene being funny and memorable. series classic, no doubt, and my overall grade for this episode is an A+, simply a hilarious episode and very well-written
  • George gets caught master-bating by his mother,which leads to George,Jerry,Kramer and Elaine contesting who is "master of their domain".All 4 are tested in various ways.In the end they all give in,but as a later episode suggests,George apparentl

This certainly has to rank among the funniest and wildest TV sit-com episodes ever.Dealing with a subject which is so taboo,the actual word describing it is never used during the entire episode.The ways in which each is tempted are hilarious,from the naked girl across the street to the sexy nurse in Georges moms hospital room,to Jerry dating a virgin,not to mention Elaine meeting John Kennedy,Jr.This episode is brillantly written.This is an example of most season 4 episodes,where the humor just seems to come so naturally from simple situations.George in his insecure mode is at the top of his game,and we actually empathize with poor,frustrated Jerry.Kramer is,well,Kramer,and even Elaine comes off fairly sympathetic in this episode.We never actually learn who wins in this episode,but there is a reference to it in "The Puffy Shirt"where George claims that "he won a contest".However,in the series finale,it is suggested that George cheated.Im not sure how he could do that though.Im prone to go along with the idea that he won.The George in the later episodes might have found a way to cheat,but I dont think the George in this episode could pull it off.
  • "Are you the master of your domain?"

This episode, although not clever. It was perfectly amazing. It was probably because this episode was so controversial. I love how the group of friends did a contest like this. I cannot believe Elaine came in third place! Well I thought she was going to win. i love the JFK Jr. scenes. He ends up with Marla the virgin!? Elaine must of been pissed. I know George ended up winning but they never actually talk about it, and did Jerry actually give in to the naked woman. He goes to the window, but at the end you see George sleeping. Nobody won? I also fell in love with the sleeping scenes. It was hilarious!
  • Kramer, George, Elaine and Jerry engage in a contest to see who can go longer without pleasuring themselves.

This is quite possibly the episode that gave the show all of the success that it achieved over the next five years. It broke the taboo of talking about self-gratification and was really funny. Kramer is out and the Elaine is out. Strangely, the winner is not actually named in this episode. Although in the finale George says that he cheated in the contest and that would make Jerry the real winner. That is, assuming that Jerry didn't also cheat which would make Elaine the winner. This episode won an Emmy and it surely deserved it. Larry David had just been set for life.
  • How Long would you be "The Lord of the Manor"

Is this the best idea for an episode or what?
    Seinfeld is one of these shows that it's about the things that you do, things that you can see in real life..

I guess many people can't stand being the master of thier domain for a long time. But who can talk about that? Only Seinfeld did.. which was very funny due to the very well writtien script.,funny actors and actress.

I really can't talk about the show cause of one thing... you just love it... it's very simple story but at the same time very great. Since the whole Terrorist thing till "OH That was so good."

It's really One great episode.
  • My favorite episode of this show is all about masturbation.

I am shocked that this show is only rated a 7.7! I don't really have much else to say, but I feel like I need to say something. This episode is tremendous. From the various ways the term "masturbation" is skirted around to Kramer's quick exit of the contest to the various situations that so tempt our heroes. George in the hospital room with his mom and a hot nurse giving a hot woman a sponge bath are reason enough to love this episode. Then there's the simple fact that this episode sets up so much comedy to come. A classic.
  • Emmy Award!

Let me just say that I loved this episode! As I bet the rest of America did, because it won an emmy award for it. I just think the whole thing was well done, very well done. My favorite part would have to be when Kramer walks in the room and says: "I'm Out!"
  • You'll never see something like this on TV again...

The Contest, called the most controversial and one of the greatest episodes of Seinfeld, manages to cram a very unique storyline, tons of catchphrases and loads of comedy into 22 minutes of airtime. There isn't much to say that hasn't been said already, but the idea to go ahead and put something like this on the air is just awesome.

Notable (underrated) scenes:

- George throwing his mom a box of tic-tacs as she complains that she's hungry.
    - Jerry and George snapping at each other because they're cracking under the pressure ("Those are MY socks!")
    - Kramer pleading with Jerry not to tell the naked woman across the street to put the shades down.
    - Elaine losing the contest and George's reaction ("I thought you'd cruise through spring, at least.")

All in all, classic episode. If you haven't seen it, where the hell have you been? It's been playing in reruns since 1992.
  • One of the greats

The Contest is one of the greatest Seinfeld episodes of all time. It had gone where no other show dared to go before. I laughed so hard when i first saw it and i still laugh when i watch it. I consider it a classic. This is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.
  • The Greatest Episode of Seinfeld Ever!

This episode is the reason why it's probebly the greatest show ever(right next to Family Guy).
    " I'm Out!" With that one line I laughed so hard I thought I was going to WET my self!!!!!!!!! And it was because of this episode that many other great ones were made.
  • The finest episode of the series, presents a contest between George, Jerry, Kramer and Elaine, About who can stand the longest without… The episode plays with the mind of the grownup just like if it was the mind of a teenager.

The episode starts with George getting caught by his mother doing some stuff with a Glamour magazine… his mother shocked his action, ends at the hospital. Due to this George decide not to comfort himself never again, Jerry doesn’t buy it, so they make a contest, a bet, to see who can hold the longest without comforting themselves, to this Kramer and Elaine join. Of curse the fist one to lose is Kramer, then Elaine goes down (no one would have thought it would happened) Jerry and George wins (by cheating). The episode shows lots of moments of weakness in the characters, it puts them in situation out of the ordinary so they can’t hold any longer. It's really the best episode in the entire series!!! If you don’t think so, it must by at least in you top 10 Seinfeld episodes.
  • My desert island sitcom episode.

There's not a lot to be said about The Contest that hasn't already been said. By saying it is probably the best and funniest episode of a sitcom ever would just be adding to the already blurred cloud of similarly phrased adulation this has already received. But I'll say it anyway.

This is probably the best and funniest episode of a sitcom ever.

I first watched this about six months ago, and I've watched it again about five times since, always using it as the sample episode to try and get friends into Seinfeld.

If I was stuck on a desert island and could only take one episode of a TV show with me (to watch on the islands customary TV/DVD twin set), I would take this. It rises above every other television comedy ever written.
  • Only seinfeld has the balls to do a episode like this.

this is one of the most crazy episodes of any show i have ever seen and good crazy. The part where Kramer comes in and says "i am out " i laughted forever it was so funny i cried. and that they went with a women masterbating is just so ahead of its time they will not even do that now.
  • "I'm out!"

I love that one scene when Kramer goes right into Jerry apartment, when J + George are looking across the street to see the naked lady, and drops the bet and says "I'm out!" That is the one scene that I would never forget. This is a true classic comedy series.
  • Amazing

Absolutely incredible 30 minutes of comedy built around a socially unacceptable premise, never once uttered by one of the actors but understood by everyone who sees the show this show, which is comedy (not just Seinfeld) never bettered.
    There are too many memorable moments in this episode to remember from George informing his giggling friends his mother had just "caught him" to Kramer ruling himself out of the contest.
    The most impressive aspect of the show is how it took the previous weeks classic story of the virgin and wove that so neatly into the show to help heighten the tension. Another memorable scene to be reproduced later (The Outing) with a different twist is Goeroges' visit to the hospital to see his ailing mother, giving him pleasure and frustration in equal measures.
    Written by Larry David, this is perfect television.
  • Master of your Domain

This is one of the pivotal episodes in Seinfeld history. This is in your face laugh out loud losing it comedy. 10 out of 10, two thumbs up this, seasons winner. This episode won Larry David an Emmy Outstanding writing for a Comedy Series and is the reason for it winning Outstanding Comedy Series in 1994. If you haven’t seen this episode you don’t know what a sitcom is.This episode is simply best in show.
  • Hillarious

This is one of the best Seinfelds ever. The episode was mainly about a contest to see who could go the longest without masturbating even though they couldnt use the word it was done very well. Kramer being thr first one out of the contest cracked me up. Also the reactions in bed of the characters who werent "master of their domain" cracked me up. This is one of the best episodes of any tv shows ever.
  • YES! This episode is master of its domain!!

What a fun and (un)pleasent episode. You really get to "know" the characters, and well, just and interesting episode all around! You get to know what makes the characters "tick" and every aspect of the episode holds ur attention, i really love every single episode of seinfeld, and this one is nooo exeption!
  • Master of your Domain

What a great episode!

The four decide to host a contest to see who can go the longest without gratifying themselves. It features of the best dialogue in all of the and some of the best moments, especially when George visits his mother in the hospital. This is what make Seinfeld such a reveled series. You really can't beat "The Contest" episode.

As the foursome try to see who can hold out the longest, we're treated to a crazy storyline with Jerry and his girlfriend, "The Virgin", we also get Elaine seeing John F. Kennedy Jr. at the health club. It's a definite treat.
  • Seinfled in a nutshell.

Maybe one of the best episodes of Seindfeld in the entire series. It has everything that makes Seinfeld what it is. After George is caught doing "you know" a debate is brought up which leads to a contest to see who can last the longest. Filled with laughs from end to end and great preformances from the regualrs as usual is obvious why this episode will always be remembered. Even the extras and side characters do a great job giving the episode the final touch it needed to be Seinfled. Not one part is out of line.
  • Defining episode.

"The Contest" is one of the most recognizable episodes of television and really set the pace for what a sitcom is supposed to be. One story, one idea driving all the characters toward a common goal, with some funny detours along the way.

The episode is legendary because of its execution, how they could have such a raunchy topic without even mentioning it by name.

This is one of the reasons Kramer became an icon, for distinguishing characteristics and behavior like this and why he is one of television's greatest personalities.

You would be hard-pressed to find a more meaningful episode of television for a series than this.
  • The Master of My Domain!

I am definitely NOT one for those taboo subject matters. I really get uncomfortale with them. However, this episode did an amazing and hilarious job at discussing something like that and I applaud that.

Best scene-Kramer's "I'M OUT!!!"